Agreeing to disagree with generalised decision functions
We develop a framework that allows us to emulate standard results from the “agreeing to disagree" literature with generalised decision functions (e.g. Bacharach (1985)) in a manner the avoids known incoherences pointed out by Moses and Nachum (1990). We analyse the implications of the Sure-Thing Principle, a central assumption. The upshot is that the way in which states are described matters, and that the results fail if decisions are allowed to depend on interactive information. Furthermore, using very weak additional assumptions, we extend all previous results to models with a non-partitional information structure in a coherent manner. Finally, we provide agreement theorems in which the decision functions are not required to satisfy the Sure-Thing Principle.
|Date of creation:||23 Feb 2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Robert J. Aumann & Sergiu Hart & Motty Perry, 2005.
"Conditioning and the Sure-Thing Principle,"
784828000000000193, UCLA Department of Economics.
- Giacomo Bonanno & Klaus Nehring, .
"Assessing The Truth Axiom Under Incomplete Information,"
Department of Economics
97-03, California Davis - Department of Economics.
- Bonanno, Giacomo & Nehring, Klaus, 1998. "Assessing the truth axiom under incomplete information," Mathematical Social Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 36(1), pages 3-29, July.
- Klaus Nehring & Giacomo Bonanno, 2003. "Assessing The Truth Axiom Under Incomplete Information," Working Papers 973, University of California, Davis, Department of Economics.
- Dov Samet, 2006.
"Agreeing to disagree: The non-probabilistic case,"
321307000000000536, UCLA Department of Economics.
- Aumann, Robert J, 1987.
"Correlated Equilibrium as an Expression of Bayesian Rationality,"
Econometric Society, vol. 55(1), pages 1-18, January.
- Robert J. Aumann, 2010. "Correlated Equilibrium as an expression of Bayesian Rationality," Levine's Working Paper Archive 661465000000000377, David K. Levine.
- R. Aumann, 2010. "Correlated Equilibrium as an expression of Bayesian Rationality," Levine's Bibliography 513, UCLA Department of Economics.
- D. Samet, 1987.
"Ignoring Ignorance and Agreeing to Disagree,"
749, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Bacharach, Michael, 1985. "Some extensions of a claim of Aumann in an axiomatic model of knowledge," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 37(1), pages 167-190, October.
- Robert J. Aumann, 1999. "Interactive epistemology I: Knowledge," International Journal of Game Theory, Springer;Game Theory Society, vol. 28(3), pages 263-300.
- Robert J Aumann, 1999. "Agreeing to Disagree," Levine's Working Paper Archive 512, David K. Levine.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:29066. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.