Agreeing to disagree with generalised decision functions
We develop a framework that allows us to emulate standard results from the “agreeing to disagree" literature with generalised decision functions (e.g. Bacharach (1985)) in a manner the avoids known incoherences pointed out by Moses and Nachum (1990). We analyse the implications of the Sure-Thing Principle, a central assumption. The upshot is that the way in which states are described matters, and that the results fail if decisions are allowed to depend on interactive information. Furthermore, using very weak additional assumptions, we extend all previous results to models with a non-partitional information structure in a coherent manner. Finally, we provide agreement theorems in which the decision functions are not required to satisfy the Sure-Thing Principle.
|Date of creation:||23 Feb 2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Aumann, Robert J, 1987.
"Correlated Equilibrium as an Expression of Bayesian Rationality,"
Econometric Society, vol. 55(1), pages 1-18, January.
- Robert J. Aumann, 2010. "Correlated Equilibrium as an expression of Bayesian Rationality," Levine's Working Paper Archive 661465000000000377, David K. Levine.
- R. Aumann, 2010. "Correlated Equilibrium as an expression of Bayesian Rationality," Levine's Bibliography 513, UCLA Department of Economics.
- Robert J Aumann, 1999. "Agreeing to Disagree," Levine's Working Paper Archive 512, David K. Levine.
- Robert J. Aumann, 1999. "Interactive epistemology I: Knowledge," International Journal of Game Theory, Springer, vol. 28(3), pages 263-300.
- Dov Samet, 2006.
"Agreeing to disagree: The non-probabilistic case,"
321307000000000536, UCLA Department of Economics.
- Klaus Nehring & Giacomo Bonanno, 2003.
"Assessing The Truth Axiom Under Incomplete Information,"
973, University of California, Davis, Department of Economics.
- Bonanno, Giacomo & Nehring, Klaus, 1998. "Assessing the truth axiom under incomplete information," Mathematical Social Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 36(1), pages 3-29, July.
- Giacomo Bonanno & Klaus Nehring, . "Assessing The Truth Axiom Under Incomplete Information," Department of Economics 97-03, California Davis - Department of Economics.
- D. Samet, 1987.
"Ignoring Ignorance and Agreeing to Disagree,"
749, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Robert J. Aumann & Sergiu Hart & Motty Perry, 2005.
"Conditioning and the Sure-Thing Principle,"
Discussion Paper Series
dp393, The Federmann Center for the Study of Rationality, the Hebrew University, Jerusalem.
- Bacharach, Michael, 1985. "Some extensions of a claim of Aumann in an axiomatic model of knowledge," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 37(1), pages 167-190, October.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:29066. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.