Volatility Spillover in India, USA and Japan Investigation of Recession Effects
In the past decades, there has been an unprecedented increase in cross border transactions between countries in terms of goods and financial flows. This integration has been fuelled by search of lower risk investments, risk diversification, search for cost effective and more efficient factors of production and dreams of global dominance in the world wide market place. An important result of these capital flows was its impact on linkages of global asset returns and spillover of volatility from one capital market to another. This study aims to understand the spillover effect between the US, the Japan capital markets and Indian equity index (Sensex). We analyze whether the volatility spillover is contemporaneous (directly in the very same day), or dynamic/lagged (with one day lag). A GARCH (1,1) model of modelling volatility has been undertaken for this purpose. This paper concludes that contemporary volatility of the Japan capital markets influenced Sensex in the pre-recession period but in the post recession there was no significant contemporaneous spillover from USA and Japan capital markets to Sensex. However, US became a significant factor while considering dynamic spillover in the post recession era. Also, there was no bidirectional volatility spillover from India to US. But, the study showed evidence of dynamic volatility spillover from Indian market to Japanese Capital market.
|Date of creation:||06 Apr 2010|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Lin, Wen-Ling & Engle, Robert F & Ito, Takatoshi, 1994. "Do Bulls and Bears Move across Borders? International Transmission of Stock Returns and Volatility," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 7(3), pages 507-38.
- L. Baele, 2003.
"Volatility Spillover Effects in European Equity Markets,"
Working Papers of Faculty of Economics and Business Administration, Ghent University, Belgium
03/189, Ghent University, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration.
- Baele, Lieven, 2005. "Volatility Spillover Effects in European Equity Markets," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 40(02), pages 373-401, June.
- Baele, L., 2003. "Volatility Spillover Effects in European Equity Markets," Discussion Paper 2003-114, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Mervyn A. King & Sushil Wadhwani, 1989.
"Transmission of Volatility Between Stock Markets,"
NBER Working Papers
2910, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Erie Febrian & Aldrin Herwany, 2009.
"Volatility Forecasting Models and Market Co-Integration: A Study on South-East Asian Markets,"
Working Papers in Economics and Development Studies (WoPEDS)
200911, Department of Economics, Padjadjaran University, revised Sep 2009.
- Erie Febrian & Aldrin Herwany, 2010. "Volatility Forecasting Models and Market Co-Integration: A Study on South-East Asian Markets," Working Papers in Business, Management and Finance 201005, Department of Management and Business, Padjadjaran University, revised May 2010.
- Laurent E. Calvet & Adlai J. Fisher & Samuel B. Thompson, 2004.
"Volatility Comovement: A Multifrequency Approach,"
NBER Technical Working Papers
0300, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ng, Angela, 2000. "Volatility spillover effects from Japan and the US to the Pacific-Basin," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 19(2), pages 207-233, April.
- Eun, Cheol S. & Shim, Sangdal, 1989. "International Transmission of Stock Market Movements," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 24(02), pages 241-256, June.
- Harju, Kari & Hussain, Syed Mujahid, 2006. "Intraday Linkages Across International Equity Markets," Working Papers 516, Hanken School of Economics.
- Bekaert, Geert & Wu, Guojun, 2000.
"Asymmetric Volatility and Risk in Equity Markets,"
Review of Financial Studies,
Society for Financial Studies, vol. 13(1), pages 1-42.
- Kim, Suk-Joong, 2005. "Information leadership in the advanced Asia-Pacific stock markets: Return, volatility and volume information spillovers from the US and Japan," Journal of the Japanese and International Economies, Elsevier, vol. 19(3), pages 338-365, September.
- Hamao, Yasushi & Masulis, Ronald W & Ng, Victor, 1990. "Correlations in Price Changes and Volatility across International Stock Markets," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 3(2), pages 281-307.
- Amado Peiro & Javier Quesada & Ezequiel Uriel, 1998. "Transmission of movements in stock markets," The European Journal of Finance, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 4(4), pages 331-343.
- Lakshmi Balasubramanyan, 2005. "Do Time-Varying Covariances, Volatility Comovement and Spillover Matter?," Finance 0509002, EconWPA.
- Roberto Rigobon & Brian Sack, 2003.
"Spillovers Across U.S. Financial Markets,"
NBER Working Papers
9640, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Mukherjee, Dr. Kedar nath & Mishra, Dr. R. K., 2008. "Stock Market Integration and Volatility Spillover:India and its Major Asian Counterparts," MPRA Paper 12788, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Nicholas Tay & Zhen Zhu, 2000. "Correlations in Returns and Volatilities in Pacific-Rim Stock Markets," Open Economies Review, Springer, vol. 11(1), pages 27-47, January.
- Janakiramanan, Sundaram & Lamba, Asjeet S., 1998. "An empirical examination of linkages between Pacific-Basin stock markets," Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money, Elsevier, vol. 8(2), pages 155-173, June.
- Hisashi Tanizaki & Shigeyuki Hamori, 2009. "Volatility transmission between Japan, UK and USA in daily stock returns," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 36(1), pages 27-54, February.
- Baur, Dirk & Jung, Robert C., 2006. "Return and volatility linkages between the US and the German stock market," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 25(4), pages 598-613, June.
- Paul H. Kupiec, 1991. "Stock market volatility in OECD countries: recent trends, consequences for the real economy, and proposals for reform," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 165, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Mukherjee, Kedar nath & Mishra, Ram Kumar, 2010. "Stock market integration and volatility spillover: India and its major Asian counterparts," Research in International Business and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 24(2), pages 235-251, June.
- Andrew Worthington & Helen Higgs, 2001. "A multivariate GARCH analysis of equity returns and volatility in Asian equity markets," School of Economics and Finance Discussion Papers and Working Papers Series 089, School of Economics and Finance, Queensland University of Technology.
- Khan Masood Ahmad & Shahid Ashraf & Shahid Ahmed, 2005. "Is the Indian Stock Market Integrated with the US and Japanese Markets?," South Asia Economic Journal, Institute of Policy Studies of Sri Lanka, vol. 6(2), pages 193-206, September.
- Bill B. Francis & Iftekhar Hasan & Delroy M. Hunter, 2004.
"Return-volatility linkages in the international equity and currency markets,"
- Francis, Bill B. & Hasan, Iftekhar & Hunter, Delroy M., 2002. "Return-volatility linkages in the international equity and currency markets," Research Discussion Papers 9/2002, Bank of Finland.
- Abraham, Abraham & Seyyed, Fazal J., 2006. "Information transmission between the Gulf equity markets of Saudi Arabia and Bahrain," Research in International Business and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 20(3), pages 276-285, September.
- Baekin Cha & Yan-leung Cheung, 1998. "The Impact of the U.S. and the Japanese Equity Markets on the Emerging Asia-Pacific Equity Markets," Asia-Pacific Financial Markets, Springer;Japanese Association of Financial Economics and Engineering, vol. 5(3), pages 191-209, November.
- Christofi, A. & Pericli, A., 1999. "Correlation in price changes and volatility of major Latin American stock markets," Journal of Multinational Financial Management, Elsevier, vol. 9(1), pages 79-93, January.
- Gagnon, Louis & Karolyi, G. Andrew, 2006. "Price and Volatility Transmission across Borders," Working Paper Series 2006-5, Ohio State University, Charles A. Dice Center for Research in Financial Economics.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:21873. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.