Regime-dependent effects of monetary policy shocks. Evidence from threshold vector autoregressions
This paper studies regime dependence in the effects of monetary policy shocks for the U.S. using a threshold vector autoregressive model. In a high inflation regime the standard results from the literature obtain. In a low inflation regime output shows no significant response to monetary policy while the inflation response is negative. The paper endogenously determines two distinct regimes, while the literature thus far only considers alternative subsamples.
|Date of creation:||Mar 2010|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Lawrence J. Christiano & Martin Eichenbaum & Charles L. Evans, 1997.
"Monetary policy shocks: what have we learned and to what end?,"
Working Paper Series, Macroeconomic Issues
WP-97-18, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Christiano, Lawrence J. & Eichenbaum, Martin & Evans, Charles L., 1999. "Monetary policy shocks: What have we learned and to what end?," Handbook of Macroeconomics, in: J. B. Taylor & M. Woodford (ed.), Handbook of Macroeconomics, edition 1, volume 1, chapter 2, pages 65-148 Elsevier.
- Lawrence J. Christiano & Martin Eichenbaum & Charles L. Evans, 1998. "Monetary Policy Shocks: What Have We Learned and to What End?," NBER Working Papers 6400, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Mojon, Benoît, 2008.
"When did unsystematic monetary policy have an effect on inflation?,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 52(3), pages 487-497, April.
- Mojon, Benoît, 2005. "When did unsystematic monetary policy have an effect on inflation?," Working Paper Series 0559, European Central Bank.
- Donald W.K. Andrews & Werner Ploberger, 1992.
"Optimal Tests When a Nuisance Parameter Is Present Only Under the Alternative,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
1015, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Andrews, Donald W K & Ploberger, Werner, 1994. "Optimal Tests When a Nuisance Parameter Is Present Only under the Alternative," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 62(6), pages 1383-1414, November.
- Orphanides, Athanasios & Wilcox, David W, 2002.
"The Opportunistic Approach to Disinflation,"
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 5(1), pages 47-71, Spring.
- Athanasios Orphanides & David W. Wilcox, 1996. "The opportunistic approach to disinflation," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 96-24, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Athanasios Orphanides & David W. Wilcox, "undated". "The Opportunistic Approach to Disinflation," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 1996-24, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Hansen, B.E., 1991.
"Inference when a Nuisance Parameter is Not Identified Under the Null Hypothesis,"
RCER Working Papers
296, University of Rochester - Center for Economic Research (RCER).
- Hansen, Bruce E, 1996. "Inference When a Nuisance Parameter Is Not Identified under the Null Hypothesis," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 64(2), pages 413-430, March.
- Calza, Alessandro & Sousa, João, 2005.
"Output and inflation responses to credit shocks: are there threshold effects in the euro area?,"
Working Paper Series
0481, European Central Bank.
- Calza Alessandro & Sousa João, 2006. "Output and Inflation Responses to Credit Shocks: Are There Threshold Effects in the Euro Area?," Studies in Nonlinear Dynamics & Econometrics, De Gruyter, vol. 10(2), pages 1-21, May.
- Bruce E. Hansen, 1998.
"Testing for Structural Change in Conditional Models,"
Boston College Working Papers in Economics
310., Boston College Department of Economics.
- Hansen, Bruce E., 2000. "Testing for structural change in conditional models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 97(1), pages 93-115, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:21215. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.