Software Marketing on the Internet: the Use of Samples and Repositories
This paper examines one of the most important marketing strategies by software producers on the Internet. That is whether to offer free samples and if so, whether to list the samples on shareware repositories. I show that firms with higher value products have a greater incentive to offer free samples but are more reluctant to do so if they are well known, and even when they do are less likely to be listed on shareware repositories. I then proceed to use four types of Probit-based models to corroborate the findings from the theoretical model.
|Date of creation:||02 Jun 2008|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Paul R. Milgrom & John Roberts, 1985.
"Relying on the Information of Interested Parties,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
749, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Boom, Anette, 2004.
""Download for Free": When do providers of digital goods offer free samples?,"
2004/28, Free University Berlin, School of Business & Economics.
- Boom, Anette, 2004. ""Download for Free" - When Do Providers of Digital Goods Offer Free Samples?," Discussion Paper Series of SFB/TR 15 Governance and the Efficiency of Economic Systems 70, Free University of Berlin, Humboldt University of Berlin, University of Bonn, University of Mannheim, University of Munich.
- M. C. Jones, 2006. "Book Review," Journal of Applied Statistics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 33(10), pages 1149-1151.
- Judith A. Chevalier & Dina Mayzlin, 2003.
"The Effect of Word of Mouth on Sales: Online Book Reviews,"
NBER Working Papers
10148, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Dina Mayzlin & Judith A. Chevalier, 2003. "The Effect of Word of Mouth on Sales: Online Book Reviews," Yale School of Management Working Papers ysm413, Yale School of Management.
- J. Miguel Villas-Boas, 2006. "Dynamic Competition with Experience Goods," Journal of Economics & Management Strategy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 15(1), pages 37-66, 03.
- Brian Kahin & Hal R. Varian (ed.), 2000. "Internet Publishing and Beyond: The Economics of Digital Information and Intellectual Property," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262611597, June.
- Clay, Karen & Krishnan, Ramayya & Wolff, Eric, 2001.
"Prices and Price Dispersion on the Web: Evidence from the Online Book Industry,"
Journal of Industrial Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 49(4), pages 521-39, December.
- Karen Clay & Ramayya Krishnan & Eric Wolff, 2001. "Prices and Price Dispersion on the Web: Evidence from the Online Book Industry," NBER Chapters, in: E-commerce, pages 521-539 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Karen Clay & Ramayya Krishnan & Eric Wolff, 2001. "Prices and Price Dispersion on the Web: Evidence from the Online Book Industry," NBER Working Papers 8271, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Bruno Jullien, 2004. "Two-Sided Markets and Electronic Intermediaries," CESifo Working Paper Series 1345, CESifo Group Munich.
- Joel Waldfogel & Lu Chen, 2003. "Does Information Undermine Brand? Information Intermediary Use and Preference for Branded Web Retailers," NBER Working Papers 9942, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Haruvy, Ernan & Prasad, Ashutosh, 2005. "Freeware as a competitive deterrent," Information Economics and Policy, Elsevier, vol. 17(4), pages 513-534, October.
- Dirk Bergemann & Juuso VÃ¤limÃ¤ki, 2006. "Dynamic Pricing of New Experience Goods," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 114(4), pages 713-743, August.
- Grossman, Sanford J, 1981. "The Informational Role of Warranties and Private Disclosure about Product Quality," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 24(3), pages 461-83, December.
- Greenaway, David & Hine, Robert C & Milner, Chris, 1995. "Vertical and Horizontal Intra-industry Trade: A Cross Industry Analysis for the United Kingdom," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 105(433), pages 1505-18, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:19646. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.