Entrepreneurship, Innovation and Spatial Disparities: Divisions and Changes of Self-employment and Firms
Topic of the paper is the development of professional self-employment during the last decades in Germany. The discussion is divided into a theoretical and an empirical section. The first theoretical part deals with the term entrepreneurship and asks for its overlapping with categories of self-employment and of innovation. Although these terms cover only partially the same meanings, political discourse often equals the slogan to foster entrepreneurship and innovation with an increase of self-employment. The second section of the paper is concerned with concrete investigation of development patterns of occupational self-employment since the beginning of the 1990th until 2006 based upon microcensus data for Germany. First of all, the overall increase of self-employment becomes visible but the principle lines hide further fundamental structural changes. A majority of those „new“ self-employed people belongs into the category of solo-self-employment and micro firms without further employees. An equation of entrepreneurship with innovation activities and in-creasing self-employment ratios falls too short and is problematic with respect to discussion on economic policy needs to increase growth. Differentiation for regions, economic sectors and gender offers a picture which is contradictory and which does not correspond with some causal explanations as found conventionally.
|Date of creation:||29 Nov 2009|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bj�rn Asheim & Lars Coenen & Jan Vang, 2007. "Face-to-face, buzz, and knowledge bases: sociospatial implications for learning, innovation, and innovation policy," Environment and Planning C: Government and Policy, Pion Ltd, London, vol. 25(5), pages 655-670, October.
- Asheim, Bjorn T. & Coenen, Lars, 2005. "Knowledge bases and regional innovation systems: Comparing Nordic clusters," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 34(8), pages 1173-1190, October.
- Oded Galor, 2004.
"From Stagnation to Growth: Unified Growth Theory,"
GE, Growth, Math methods
- Karlsson, Charlie, 2007. "Clusters, Functional Regions and Cluster Policies," Working Paper Series in Economics and Institutions of Innovation 84, Royal Institute of Technology, CESIS - Centre of Excellence for Science and Innovation Studies.
- Henrekson, Magnus & Roine, Jesper, 2005.
"Promoting Entrepreneurship in the Welfare State,"
Working Paper Series
653, Research Institute of Industrial Economics, revised 11 Jan 2006.
- Henrekson, Magnus & Roine, Jesper, 2006. "Promoting Entrepreneurship in the Welfare State," SSE/EFI Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance 621, Stockholm School of Economics.
- Cochran, Thomas C., 1960. "Cultural Factors in Economic Growth," The Journal of Economic History, Cambridge University Press, vol. 20(04), pages 515-530, December.
- Bjørn, Asheim & Coenen, Lars & Vang, Jan, 2005. "Face-to-Face, Buzz and Knowledge Bases: Socio-spatial implications for learning and innovation policy," Papers in Innovation Studies 2005/18, Lund University, CIRCLE - Center for Innovation, Research and Competences in the Learning Economy.
- Audretsch, David B., 2007.
"The Entrepreneurial Society,"
Oxford University Press, number 9780195183504, July.
- Roy Thurik & Isabel Grilo, 2006.
"Latent and actual entrepreneurship in Europe and the US: some recent developments,"
Scales Research Reports
N200514, EIM Business and Policy Research.
- Roy Thurik & Isabel Grilo, 2005. "Latent and actual entrepreneurship in Europe and the US: some recent developments," Papers on Entrepreneurship, Growth and Public Policy 2005-24, Max Planck Institute of Economics, Entrepreneurship, Growth and Public Policy Group.
- Jolanda Hessels & Marco Gelderen & Roy Thurik, 2008. "Entrepreneurial aspirations, motivations, and their drivers," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 31(3), pages 323-339, October.
- Audretsch, David B & Falck, Oliver & Feldman, Maryann P & Heblich, Stephan, 2008. "The Lifecycle of Regions," CEPR Discussion Papers 6757, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Alfred D. Chandler, 1969. "Strategy and Structure: Chapters in the History of the American Industrial Enterprise," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262530090, June.
- Erik Stam, 2008.
"Entrepreneurship and Innovation Policy,"
Jena Economic Research Papers
2008-006, Friedrich-Schiller-University Jena.
- Roy Thurik & Isabel Grilo, 2006.
"Entrepreneurial engagement levels in the European Union,"
Scales Research Reports
N200515, EIM Business and Policy Research.
- Isabel Grilo & Roy Thurik, 2005. "Entrepreneurial engagement levels in the European Union," Papers on Entrepreneurship, Growth and Public Policy 2005-29, Max Planck Institute of Economics, Entrepreneurship, Growth and Public Policy Group.
- David B. Audretsch & Roy Thurik, 2001. "Linking Entrepreneurship to Growth," OECD Science, Technology and Industry Working Papers 2001/2, OECD Publishing.
- John H. Munro, 2006. "Entrepreneurship in Early-Modern Europe (1450 - 1750): An Exploration of Some Unfashionable Themes in Economic History," Working Papers tecipa-257, University of Toronto, Department of Economics.
- Dieter Bogenhold & Uwe Fachinger, 2008. "Do service sector trends stimulate entrepreneurship? A socio-economic labour market perspective," International Journal of Services, Economics and Management, Inderscience Enterprises Ltd, vol. 1(2), pages 117-134.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:19245. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.