The Role of Income Distribution in the Diffusion of Corporate Social Responsibility
The purpose of this paper is to investigate the link between CSR growth and income distribution. We present a general equilibrium model where social responsibility enters both firms' and consumers' decisions. The model admits the existence of multiple equilibria, each of them characterized by a different diffusion of CSR. We study the conditions under which there exists a virtuous circle which ties increases in the diffusion of CSR to reductions in income inequality and viceversa. Under certain circumstances, any policy which promotes the diffusion of CSR induces a reduction of income inequality. By contrast, when such conditions are not satisfied, only redistributive policies may generate the virtuous circle.
|Date of creation:||16 Nov 2009|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Claudia Alves & Luís Santos-Pinto, 2008. "A Theory of Corporate Social Responsibility in Oligopolistic Markets," Cahiers de Recherches Economiques du Département d'Econométrie et d'Economie politique (DEEP) 09.04, Université de Lausanne, Faculté des HEC, DEEP.
- Klaus Conrad, 2005. "Price Competition and Product Differentiation When Consumers Care for the Environment," Environmental & Resource Economics, Springer;European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 31(1), pages 1-19, 05.
- Ronald B. Davies, 2000.
"Abstinence from Child Labor and Profit Seeking,"
University of Oregon Economics Department Working Papers
2000-1, University of Oregon Economics Department, revised 01 Aug 2002.
- Fabrizio Adriani & Leonardo Becchetti, 2004. "Fair Trade: A 'Third Generation' Welfare Mechanism to Make Globalisation Sustainable," CEIS Research Paper 62, Tor Vergata University, CEIS.
- Amacher, Gregory S. & Koskela, Erkki & Ollikainen, Markku, 2004. "Environmental quality competition and eco-labeling," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 47(2), pages 284-306, March.
- Evangelos Mitrokostas & Emmanuel Petrakis, 2008. "Private CSR Activities in Oligopolistic Markets: Is There Any Room for Regulation?," Working Papers 0816, University of Crete, Department of Economics.
- Markus Kitzmueller, 2008. "Economics and Corporate Social Responsibility," Economics Working Papers ECO2008/37, European University Institute.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:18659. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.