L'ombre de la crise
[The shadow of the global crisis]
This book aims to study the consequences of the subprime crisis for New Caledonia, a French overseas Pacific territory. The situation of New-Caledonia is specific in many ways, since this territory is undergoing an institutional process of emancipation from France. On the first hand, New Caledonia is protected from the consequences of the crisis thanks to the financial transfers from France which slow down the external constraint. But, on the other hand, New Caledonia is also weakened by many factors: • Its main resources, nickel exportations, have experienced a sharp price fall due to the crisis. • New-Caledonia's indirect taxation highligts under-development (New-Caledonia has not implemented a value-added tax yet). Consequently, tariffs are a major tool to collect tax revenue thus making New-Caledonia a protectionist country with small markets and high prices. • The social inequalities are a serious problem. Theses weaknesses make unlikely for New Caledonia not to suffer from the global crisis. In the first part of the book, the formation and spreading of the subprime crisis are presented with a pedagogical concern. The second part presents the consequences of the crisis for the New Caledonia (and more generally for a small island country), especially from the financial point of view, but also considering the risks induced by a fall of the purchasing power and the rise of social inequalities. The book concludes with the possibility and opportunity of a fiscal policy in the specific context of a small island territory.
|Date of creation:||May 2009|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Christoph Wunder & Johannes Schwarze & Gerhard Krug & Bodo Herzog, 2006.
"Welfare Effects of the Euro Cash Changeover,"
Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin
646, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Keen, M. & Ligthart, J.E., 2004.
"Coordinating Tariff Reduction and Domestic Tax Reform under Imperfect Competition,"
2004-78, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Michael Keen & Jenny E. Ligthart, 2005. "Coordinating Tariff Reduction and Domestic Tax Reform under Imperfect Competition," Review of International Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 13(2), pages 385-390, 05.
- Keen, M. & Ligthart, J.E., 2005. "Coordinating tariff reduction and domestic tax reform under imperfect competition," Other publications TiSEM db2f2573-0206-4b08-b9ae-c, Tilburg University, School of Economics and Management.
- Bohn, Henning, 1990. "Tax Smoothing with Financial Instruments," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 80(5), pages 1217-30, December.
- Barro, Robert J, 1979.
"On the Determination of the Public Debt,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 87(5), pages 940-71, October.
- Rastoin, J.L., 2006. "Le système alimentaire mondial est-il soluble dans le développement durable ?," Working Papers MOISA 200605, UMR MOISA : Marchés, Organisations, Institutions et Stratégies d'Acteurs : CIHEAM-IAMM, CIRAD, INRA, Montpellier SupAgro, IRD - Montpellier, France.
- Atkinson, A. B. & Stiglitz, J. E., 1976. "The design of tax structure: Direct versus indirect taxation," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 6(1-2), pages 55-75.
- Keen, Michael & Ligthart, Jenny E., 2002.
"Coordinating tariff reduction and domestic tax reform,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 56(2), pages 489-507, March.
- Michael Keen & Johanna Elisabeth Ligthart, 1999. "Coordinating Tariff Reduction and Domestic Tax Reform," IMF Working Papers 99/93, International Monetary Fund.
- Pål Ulla, 2006. "Assessing Fiscal Risks through Long-term Budget Projections," OECD Journal on Budgeting, OECD Publishing, vol. 6(1), pages 127-187.
- Gérard CHAMBAS, 2005. "Afrique au Sud du Sahara : quelle stratégie de transition fiscale ?," Working Papers 200501, CERDI.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:17871. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.