Where Did They Go? A Study on Newly Established Universities and Graduate Mobility in Finland
This paper investigates cross-regional mobility in Finland using individual-level data on a cohort of people over a period of 15 years. The backdrop is that of the institutionalization of science and technology policy in the 1960s, part of which consisted in the expansion of universities in five regions. This had a threefold rationale: increasing participation rates to higher education, widening the recruitment base by facilitating young generations the right to study in their native regions, and stimulating regional economic development by providing skilled labour force. Our empirical analysis reveals high levels of spatial mobility and uneven retention rates across regions. Despite the policy action, graduates are still attracted towards the capital city Helsinki. Through a binary logit regression model we observe that mobility is influenced by the type of studies and to a lesser extent by the socioeconomic background.
|Date of creation:||2007|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Robin Cowan & Paul A. David & Dominique Foray, 1999.
"The Explicit Economics of Knowledge Codification and Tacitness,"
99027, Stanford University, Department of Economics.
- Cowan, Robin & David, Paul A & Foray, Dominique, 2000. "The Explicit Economics of Knowledge Codification and Tacitness," Industrial and Corporate Change, Oxford University Press, vol. 9(2), pages 211-53, June.
- Cowan Robin & David Paul & Foray Dominique, 1999. "The Explicit Economics of Knowledge Codification and Tacitness," Research Memorandum 025, Maastricht University, Maastricht Economic Research Institute on Innovation and Technology (MERIT).
- Feller, Irwin, 1990. "Universities as engines of R&D-based economic growth: They think they can," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 19(4), pages 335-348, August.
- Francesco Daveri & Olmo Silva, 2004. "Not only Nokia: what Finland tells us about new economy growth," Economic Policy, CEPR;CES;MSH, vol. 19(38), pages 117-163, 04.
- Antonelli, Cristiano, 2005.
"Models Of Knowledge And Systems Of Governance,"
Department of Economics and Statistics Cognetti de Martiis LEI & BRICK - Laboratory of Economics of Innovation "Franco Momigliano", Bureau of Research in Innovation, Complexity and Knowledge, Collegio
200501, University of Turin.
- Krugman, Paul, 1991.
"Increasing Returns and Economic Geography,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 99(3), pages 483-99, June.
- Cooke, Philip & Gomez Uranga, Mikel & Etxebarria, Goio, 1997. "Regional innovation systems: Institutional and organisational dimensions," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 26(4-5), pages 475-491, December.
- Maskell, Peter & Malmberg, Anders, 1999. "Localised Learning and Industrial Competitiveness," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 23(2), pages 167-85, March.
- Robert J. Barro & Xavier Sala-i-Martin, 1991.
"Convergence across States and Regions,"
Brookings Papers on Economic Activity,
Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 22(1), pages 107-182.
- Ron A. Boschma & Markku Sotarauta, 2005. "Economic policy from an evolutionary perspective: the case of Finland," Papers in Evolutionary Economic Geography (PEEG) 0509, Utrecht University, Section of Economic Geography, revised Aug 2005.
- Cristiano Antonelli, 2000. "Collective Knowledge Communication and Innovation: The Evidence of Technological Districts," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 34(6), pages 535-547.
- Honkapohja, Seppo & Koskela, Erkki, 2002.
"The Economic Crisis of the 1990s in Finland,"
683, The Research Institute of the Finnish Economy.
- Markku Sotarauta & Mika Kautonen, 2007. "Co-evolution of the Finnish National and Local Innovation and Science Arenas: Towards a Dynamic Understanding of Multi-level Governance," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 41(8), pages 1085-1098.
- Audretsch, David B & Feldman, Maryann P, 1996. "R&D Spillovers and the Geography of Innovation and Production," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 86(3), pages 630-40, June.
- Petrakis, P. E. & Stamatakis, D., 2002. "Growth and educational levels: a comparative analysis," Economics of Education Review, Elsevier, vol. 21(5), pages 513-521, October.
- McMahon, Walter W., 1998. "Education and Growth in East Asia," Economics of Education Review, Elsevier, vol. 17(2), pages 159-172, April.
- Asteriou, D. & Agiomirgianakis, G. M., 2001. "Human capital and economic growth: Time series evidence from Greece," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 23(5), pages 481-489, July.
- Antonelli, Cristiano, 2001. "The Microeconomics of Technological Systems," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780199245536.
- Pissarides, Christopher A & Wadsworth, Jonathan, 1989. "Unemployment and the Inter-regional Mobility of Labour," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 99(397), pages 739-55, September.
- Rosenberg, Nathan & Nelson, Richard R., 1994. "American universities and technical advance in industry," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 23(3), pages 323-348, May.
- Lemola, Tarmo, 2002. "Convergence of national science and technology policies: the case of Finland," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 31(8-9), pages 1481-1490, December.
- Cristiano Antonelli, 2003.
"Knowledge Complementarity and Fungeability: Implications for Regional Strategy,"
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 37(6-7), pages 595-606.
- Antonelli, Cristiano, 2003. "Knowledge Complementarity and Fungeability: Implications for Regional Strategy," Department of Economics and Statistics Cognetti de Martiis LEI & BRICK - Laboratory of Economics of Innovation "Franco Momigliano", Bureau of Research in Innovation, Complexity and Knowledge, Collegio 200302, University of Turin.
- Barro, Robert J & Sala-i-Martin, Xavier, 1992.
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 100(2), pages 223-51, April.
- Barro, R.J. & Sala-I-Martin, X., 1991. "Convergence Across States and Regions," Papers 629, Yale - Economic Growth Center.
- Barro, R.J. & Sala-I-Martin, X., 1991. "Convergence," Papers 645, Yale - Economic Growth Center.
- Barro, Robert J. & Sala-i-Martin, Xavier, 1992. "Convergence," Scholarly Articles 3451299, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Kaldor, Nicholas, 1970. "The Case for Regional Policies," Scottish Journal of Political Economy, Scottish Economic Society, vol. 17(3), pages 337-48, November.
- Mansfield, Edwin & Lee, Jeong-Yeon, 1996. "The modern university: contributor to industrial innovation and recipient of industrial R&D support," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 25(7), pages 1047-1058, October.
- Michael Dunford, 2003. "Theorizing Regional Economic Performance and the Changing Territorial Division of Labour," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 37(8), pages 829-854.
- Lin, Tin-Chun, 2004. "The role of higher education in economic development: an empirical study of Taiwan case," Journal of Asian Economics, Elsevier, vol. 15(2), pages 355-371, April.
- Anders Malmberg & Peter Maskell, 2002. "The elusive concept of localization economies: towards a knowledge-based theory of spatial clustering," Environment and Planning A, Pion Ltd, London, vol. 34(3), pages 429-449, March.
- Peter Huber, 2004.
"Inter-regional mobility in Europe: a note on the cross-country evidence,"
Applied Economics Letters,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 11(10), pages 619-624.
- Peter Huber, 2004. "Inter-regional Mobility in Europe. A Note on the Cross-Country Evidence," WIFO Working Papers 221, WIFO.
- Maryann Feldman, 1999. "The New Economics Of Innovation, Spillovers And Agglomeration: Areview Of Empirical Studies," Economics of Innovation and New Technology, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 8(1-2), pages 5-25.
- Julie Keane Shaw & Janelle Allison, 1999. "The Intersection of the Learning Region and Local and Regional Economic Development: Analysing the Role of Higher Education," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 33(9), pages 896-902.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:11377. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.