Entrepreneurship, entry and performance of new business compared in two growth regimes: East and West Germany
The paper provides an outline of the concept of regional growth regimes and empirically illustrates the relevance of the concept. The empirical examples are entrepreneurship, entry and the performance of new businesses in East and West Germany. The differences of the factors determining the formation of new businesses as well as their development between these two growth regimes are immense and clearly demonstrate the relevance of region specific factors. Copyright Springer-Verlag Berlin/Heidelberg 2004
Volume (Year): 14 (2004)
Issue (Month): 5 (December)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://link.springer.de/link/service/journals/00191/index.htm|
|Order Information:||Web: http://link.springer.de/orders.htm|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Maryann Feldman, 1999. "The New Economics Of Innovation, Spillovers And Agglomeration: Areview Of Empirical Studies," Economics of Innovation and New Technology, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 8(1-2), pages 5-25.
- Winter, Sidney G., 1984. "Schumpeterian competition in alternative technological regimes," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 5(3-4), pages 287-320.
- Feldman, Maryann P. & Audretsch, David B., 1999.
"Innovation in cities:: Science-based diversity, specialization and localized competition,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 43(2), pages 409-429, February.
- Audretsch, David B & Feldman, Maryann P, 1998. "Innovation in Cities: Science-Based Diversity, Specialization and Localized Competition," CEPR Discussion Papers 1980, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Breschi, Stefano & Lissoni, Francesco, 2000.
"Knowledge Spillovers And Local Innovation Systems: A Critical Survey,"
ERSA conference papers
ersa00p362, European Regional Science Association.
- Breschi, Stefano & Lissoni, Francesco, 2001. "Knowledge Spillovers and Local Innovation Systems: A Critical Survey," Industrial and Corporate Change, Oxford University Press, vol. 10(4), pages 975-1005, December.
- Stefano Breschi & Francesco Lissoni, 2001. "Knowledge spillovers and local innovation systems: a critical survey," LIUC Papers in Economics 84, Cattaneo University (LIUC).
- Cristiano Antonelli, 2000. "Collective Knowledge Communication and Innovation: The Evidence of Technological Districts," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 34(6), pages 535-547.
- Michael Fritsch & Oliver Falck, 2003. "New Firm Formation by Industry over Space and Time: A Multi-Level Analysis," Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin 322, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Michael Fritsch & Pamela Mueller, 2004.
"Regional Growth Regimes Revisited - The Case of West Germany,"
Papers on Entrepreneurship, Growth and Public Policy
2004-04, Max Planck Institute of Economics, Entrepreneurship, Growth and Public Policy Group.
- Fritsch, Michael & Mueller, Pamela, 2004. "Regional growth regimes revisited - the case of West Germany," Freiberg Working Papers 2004,06, TU Bergakademie Freiberg, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration.
- van Ark, Bart, 1998. "Productivity," Journal of the Japanese and International Economies, Elsevier, vol. 12(2), pages 171-174, June.
- Paul M. Romer, 1994. "The Origins of Endogenous Growth," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 8(1), pages 3-22, Winter.
- Johnson, P S & Cathcart, D G, 1979. "The Founders of New Manufacturing Firms: A Note on the Size of Their 'Incubator' Plants," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 28(2), pages 219-24, December.
- David Audretsch & Michael Fritsch, 2003. "Linking Entrepreneurship to Growth: The Case of West Germany," Industry and Innovation, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 10(1), pages 65-73.
- Antonelli, Cristiano, 2001. "The Microeconomics of Technological Systems," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780199245536.
- Horst Brezinski & Egon Franck & Michael Fritsch (ed.), 1998. "The Microeconomics of Transformation and Growth," Books, Edward Elgar, number 1600, April.
- David Audretsch & Michael Fritsch, 2002. "Growth Regimes over Time and Space," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 36(2), pages 113-124.
- Maskell, Peter & Malmberg, Anders, 1999. "Localised Learning and Industrial Competitiveness," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 23(2), pages 167-85, March.
- Gerlinde Sinn & Hans-Werner Sinn, 1994. "Jumpstart: The Economic Unification of Germany," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262691728, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:spr:joevec:v:14:y:2004:i:5:p:525-542. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sonal Shukla)or (Christopher F Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.