Agricultural Diversification and the Fruits and Vegetables Subsector: Policy Issues and Development Constraints in the Philippines
Fruits and vegetables comprise a large and dynamic subsector within Philippine agriculture. However, the country’s agricultural development strategy continues to emphasize traditional crops. Evidence points to a significant role for fruits and vegetables in agricultural diversification and rural development. They represent a significant set of “high-value” activities, some of which are produced within organized supply chains. As the economy develops, fruits and vegetables should become increasingly important, both as a share in agricultural output and in the food basket. Diversification could be propoor as it may raise incomes of smallholders and workers. There are clear benefits to both producers and consumers from the expansion of the subsector; fruits and vegetables output has indeed grown more rapidly than agriculture as a whole. However, there remain impediments in reallocating resources to the high-value crops. Agribusiness supply chains have arisen to overcome some of these obstacles, though these chains may be inadvertently promoting inequitable and unsustainable patterns to agricultural growth. Despite numerous policies and programs to overcome these impediments and promote agricultural growth and diversification, constraints to development persist. These include: resource degradation; weak protection and tradability of land rights; distortionary policies in favor of traditional crops; geographic dispersion, inadequate marketing and logistics infrastructure; failure to realize scale economies in marketing; and inadequate supply of producer services such as agricultural credit, technology innovation, and technical assistance to smallholders. Policy change and institutional reforms are essential for the fruits and vegetables subsector to realize its potential for agricultural diversification and rural development.
|Date of creation:||2009|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: NEDA sa Makati Building, 106 Amorsolo St., Legaspi Village, Makati City,|
Web page: http://www.pids.gov.ph/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Aldaba, Rafaelita M., 2005.
"The Impact of Market Reforms on Competition, Structure and Performance of the Philippine Economy,"
DP 2005-24, Philippine Institute for Development Studies.
- Rafaelita M. Aldaba, 2005. "The Impact of Market Reforms on Competition, Structure and Performance of the Philippine Economy," Trade Working Papers 22306, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- Copestake, James G., 1997. "Agriculture on the road to industrialization : edited by John W. Mellor Johns Hopkins University Press, Baltimore and London, 358 + xvii pp, 1995," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 22(2), pages 188-189, April.
- Llanto, Gilberto M. & Basilio, Leilanie Q. & Basilio, Enrico L., 2005. "Competition Policy and Regulation in Ports and Shipping," Discussion Papers DP 2005-02, Philippine Institute for Development Studies.
- Peter Timmer, C., 1988. "The agricultural transformation," Handbook of Development Economics, in: Hollis Chenery & T.N. Srinivasan (ed.), Handbook of Development Economics, edition 1, volume 1, chapter 8, pages 275-331 Elsevier.
- Pabuayon, Isabelita, 2000. "Fruits Program Area Research Planning and Prioritization: Background Analysis," Discussion Papers DP 2000-18, Philippine Institute for Development Studies.
- Arsenio M. Balisacan, 1991.
"Agricultural Growth, Landlessness, Off-Farm Employment, and Rural Poverty in the Philippines,"
UP School of Economics Discussion Papers
199101, University of the Philippines School of Economics.
- Balisacan, Arsenio M, 1993. "Agricultural Growth, Landlessness, Off-farm Employment, and Rural Poverty in the Philippines," Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, vol. 41(3), pages 533-562, April.
- Balisacan, Arsenio M., 1991. "Agricultural Growth, Landlessness, Off-Farm Employment and Rural Poverty in the Philippines," 1991 Conference (35th), February 11-14, 1991, Armidale, Australia 145723, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society.
- Poudel, D. D. & Midmore, D. J. & Hargrove, W. L., 1998. "An analysis of commercial vegetable farms in relation to sustainability in the uplands of Southeast Asia," Agricultural Systems, Elsevier, vol. 58(1), pages 107-128, September.
- David, Cristina C. & Intal, Ponciano & Balisacan, Arsenio M., 2007. "Distortions to Agricultural Incentives in the Philippines," Agricultural Distortions Working Paper 48477, World Bank.
- Martin, Will & Warr, Peter G, 1993. "Explaining the Relative Decline of Agriculture: A Supply-Side Analysis for Indonesia," World Bank Economic Review, World Bank Group, vol. 7(3), pages 381-401, September.
- Johnson, D Gale, 1997. "Agriculture and the Wealth of Nations," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 87(2), pages 1-12, May.
- Digal, Larry N., 2001. "An Analysis of the Structure of the Philippine Retail Food Industry," Philippine Journal of Development PJD 2001 Vol. XXVIII No. , Philippine Institute for Development Studies.
- Gilberto M. Llanto & Enrico L. Basilio & Leilanie Basilio, 2005. "Competition Policy and Regulation in Ports and Shipping," Development Economics Working Papers 22648, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- Intal, Ponciano Jr. S. & Ranit, Luis Osman, 2001. "Literature Review of the Agricultural Distribution Services Sector: Performance, Efficiency and Research Issues," Discussion Papers DP 2001-14, Philippine Institute for Development Studies.
- Teruel, Romeo G. & Kuroda, Yoshimi, 2005. "Public infrastructure and productivity growth in Philippine agriculture, 1974-2000," Journal of Asian Economics, Elsevier, vol. 16(3), pages 555-576, June.
- Balisacan, Arsenio M. & Hill, Hal (ed.), 2003. "The Philippine Economy: Development, Policies, and Challenges," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780195158984, December.
- Mariapia MENDOLA, 2005. "Farm households production theories: a review of institutional and behavioural responses," Departmental Working Papers 2005-01, Department of Economics, Management and Quantitative Methods at Università degli Studi di Milano.
- J. Taylor & Irma Adelman, 2003. "Agricultural Household Models: Genesis, Evolution, and Extensions," Review of Economics of the Household, Springer, vol. 1(1), pages 33-58, January.
- Rosegrant, Mark W. & Hazell, Peter B. R., 2001. "Transforming the rural Asian economy," 2020 vision briefs 69, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Weinberger, Katinka & Lumpkin, Thomas A., 2007. "Diversification into Horticulture and Poverty Reduction: A Research Agenda," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 35(8), pages 1464-1480, August.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:phd:dpaper:dp_2009-02. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Aniceto Orbeta)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.