Location, Location, Location: Entrepreneurial Finance Meets Economic Geography
Economic Geography maintains that economic activities are not randomly distributed across space. This paper examines the impact of industrial and regional characteristics on venture capital activities in the United States from 1995 until 2009. The unique database allows for stratifications into seventeen industries within nineteen regions of the United States. This study affirms the significance of both Location and industry in venture capital investment. Both statistical and graphical methods are employed in order to better ascertain the dynamic nature of the data.
|Date of creation:||27 Aug 2010|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 3718 Locust Walk, Philadelphia, PA 19104|
Web page: http://economics.sas.upenn.edu/pier
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Krugman, Paul, 1991.
"Increasing Returns and Economic Geography,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 99(3), pages 483-99, June.
- Yochanan Shachmurove & Uriel Spiegel, 2005. "A Monopoly Reason Why Autarky Might Be Best For A Large Country," Manchester School, University of Manchester, vol. 73(3), pages 269-280, 06.
- Ottaviano, Gianmarco & Thisse, Jacques-François, 2003.
"Agglomeration and Economic Geography,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
3838, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- OTTAVIANO, Gianmarco & THISSE, Jacques-François, 2003. "Agglomeration and economic geography," CORE Discussion Papers 2003016, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- OTTAVIANO, Gianmarco & THISSE, Jacques-François, . "Agglomeration and economic geography," CORE Discussion Papers RP 1725, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Fujita , Masahisa & Krugman, Paul, 2004.
"The new economic geography: Past, present and the future,"
INVESTIGACIONES REGIONALES - Journal of REGIONAL RESEARCH,
Asociación Española de Ciencia Regional, issue 4, pages 177-206.
- Masahisa Fujita & Paul Krugman, 2003. "The new economic geography: Past, present and the future," Papers in Regional Science, Springer;Regional Science Association International, vol. 83(1), pages 139-164, October.
- Masahisa Fujita & Paul Krugman, 2003. "The new economic geography: Past, present and the future," Economics of Governance, Springer, vol. 83(1), pages 139-164, October.
- Keith Head & Thierry Mayer, 2004.
"The Empirics of Agglomeration and Trade,"
- Head, Keith & Mayer, Thierry, 2003. "The Empirics of Agglomeration and Trade," CEPR Discussion Papers 3985, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Keith Head & Thierry Mayer, 2004. "The Empirics of Agglomeration and Trade," Sciences Po publications info:hdl:2441/10191, Sciences Po.
- Thierry Mayer & Keith Head, 2003. "The Empirics of Agglomeration and Trade," Working Papers 2003-15, CEPII research center.
- Brakman,Steven & Garretsen,Harry & van Marrewijk,Charles, 2009.
"The New Introduction to Geographical Economics,"
Cambridge University Press, number 9780521875325, November.
- Krugman, Paul, 1998. "What's New about the New Economic Geography?," Oxford Review of Economic Policy, Oxford University Press, vol. 14(2), pages 7-17, Summer.
- Yochanan Shachmurove, 2009. "Entrepreneurship in Oman," PIER Working Paper Archive 09-026, Penn Institute for Economic Research, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania.
- repec:spo:wpecon:info:hdl:2441/10191 is not listed on IDEAS
- Olga Alonso-Villar, 2005.
"The effects of transport costs revisited,"
Journal of Economic Geography,
Oxford University Press, vol. 5(5), pages 589-604, October.
- Karen Helene Midelfart-Knarvik & Henry G. Overman & Anthony Venables, 2003.
"Monetary union and the economic geography of Europe,"
LSE Research Online Documents on Economics
582, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Karen-Helene Midelfart & Henry G. Overman & Anthony J. Venables, 2003. "Monetary Union and the Economic Geography of Europe," Journal of Common Market Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 41(5), pages 847-868, December.
- J. Barkley Rosser, 2009. "Introduction," Chapters, in: Handbook of Research on Complexity, chapter 1 Edward Elgar Publishing.
- J. Peter Neary, 2000.
"Of hype and hyperbolas : introducing the new economic geography,"
200019, School of Economics, University College Dublin.
- J.Peter Neary, 2001. "Of Hype and Hyperbolas: Introducing the New Economic Geography," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 39(2), pages 536-561, June.
- Amir Shachmurove & Yochanan Shachmurove, 2004. "Annualized and Cumulative Returns on Venture-Backed Public Companies Categorized by Industry," Journal of Entrepreneurial Finance, Pepperdine University, Graziadio School of Business and Management, vol. 9(3), pages 41-60, Fall.
- Shachmurove, Yochanan & Spiegel, Uriel, 1995. "On Nations' Size and Transportation Costs," Review of International Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 3(2), pages 235-43, June.
- Cumming, Douglas & Dai, Na, 2010. "Local bias in venture capital investments," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 17(3), pages 362-380, June.
- Wang, Susheng & Zhou, Hailan, 2004. "Staged financing in venture capital: moral hazard and risks," Journal of Corporate Finance, Elsevier, vol. 10(1), pages 131-155, January.
- Venables, Anthony J, 1998. "The Assessment: Trade and Location," Oxford Review of Economic Policy, Oxford University Press, vol. 14(2), pages 1-6, Summer.
- Behrens, Kristian, 2005. "Market size and industry location: Traded vs non-traded goods," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 58(1), pages 24-44, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pen:papers:10-030. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dolly Guarini)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.