First-Round Entrepreneurial Investments: Where, When and Why?
This paper examines the where, when and why of first round entrepreneurial investment activity in the United States from the first quarter of 1995 until the second quarter of 2010. The paper analyzes these venture capital investments taking into consideration the role of macroeconomic variables, region, and industry. Additionally, trends in regional and industrial investments are evaluated using statistical and graphical analyses. By studying these findings, we are able to understand the impact of different periods of economic growth on venture capital investments. Lastly, the shock of the dot.com bubble and recent financial crisis are integrated into the findings.
|Date of creation:||22 Jun 2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://economics.sas.upenn.edu/pier
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Meyer, David R., 2007. "Financing Innovation in the United States, 1870 to the Present. Edited by Naomi R. Lamoreaux and Kenneth L. Sokoloff. Cambridge, MA: MIT Press, 2007. Pp. xii, 503. $45," The Journal of Economic History, Cambridge University Press, vol. 67(04), pages 1083-1085, December.
- Richard R. Nelson, 1959. "The Simple Economics of Basic Scientific Research," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 67, pages 297.
- Karen Helene Midelfart-Knarvik & Henry G. Overman & Anthony Venables, 2003.
"Monetary union and the economic geography of Europe,"
LSE Research Online Documents on Economics
582, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Karen-Helene Midelfart & Henry G. Overman & Anthony J. Venables, 2003. "Monetary Union and the Economic Geography of Europe," Journal of Common Market Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 41(5), pages 847-868, December.
- Anthony J. Venables, 1993.
"Equilibrium Locations of Vertically Linked Industries,"
CEP Discussion Papers
dp0137, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Venables, Anthony J, 1996. "Equilibrium Locations of Vertically Linked Industries," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 37(2), pages 341-59, May.
- Venables, Anthony J, 1993. "Equilibrium Locations of Vertically Linked Industries," CEPR Discussion Papers 802, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Venables, Anthony J, 1998. "The Assessment: Trade and Location," Oxford Review of Economic Policy, Oxford University Press, vol. 14(2), pages 1-6, Summer.
- Naomi R. Lamoreaux & Kenneth L. Sokoloff (ed.), 2007. "Financing Innovation in the United States, 1870 to Present," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262122898, June.
- Behrens, Kristian, 2005.
"Market size and industry location: Traded vs non-traded goods,"
Journal of Urban Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 58(1), pages 24-44, July.
- BEHRENS, Kristian, . "Market size and industry location: Traded vs non-traded goods," CORE Discussion Papers RP -1779, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Yochanan Shachmurove, 2006. "An Excursion into the Venture Capital Industry Stratified by Locations and Industries 1996-2005," Journal of Entrepreneurial Finance, Pepperdine University, Graziadio School of Business and Management, vol. 11(3), pages 79-104, Fall.
- Eytan Sheshinski & Robert J. Strom, 2007.
"Introduction to Entrepreneurship, Innovation, and the Growth Mechanism of the Free-Enterprise Economies
[Entrepreneurship, Innovation, and the Growth Mechanism of the Free-Enterprise Economies]," Introductory Chapters, Princeton University Press.
- Samuel Kortum & Josh Lerner, 2000. "Assessing the Contribution of Venture Capital to Innovation," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 31(4), pages 674-692, Winter.
- Yochanan Shachmurove, 2009. "Entrepreneurship in Oman," PIER Working Paper Archive 09-026, Penn Institute for Economic Research, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania.
- Naomi R. Lamoreaux & Kenneth L. Sokoloff (ed.), 2009. "Financing Innovation in the United States, 1870 to Present," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262513323, June.
- Olga Alonso-Villar, 2005.
"The effects of transport costs revisited,"
Journal of Economic Geography,
Oxford University Press, vol. 5(5), pages 589-604, October.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pen:papers:11-017. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dolly Guarini)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.