Optimization in non-standard problems. An application to the provision of public inputs
This paper describes a new method for solving non-standard constrained optimization problems for which standard methodologies do not work properly. Our method (the Rational Iterative Multisection -RIM- algorithm) consists of different stages that can be interpreted as different requirements of precision by obtaining the optimal solution. We have performed an application of RIM method to the case of public inputs provision. We prove that the RIM approach and comparable standard methodologies achieve the same results with regular optimization problems while the RIM algorithm takes advantage over them when facing non-standard optimization problems.
|Date of creation:||Mar 2008|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Carretera de Utrera km.1, 41013 Sevilla|
Phone: + 34 954 34 8913
Fax: + 34 954 34 9339
Web page: http://www.upo.es/econ/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- James P. Feehan & Mutsumi Matsumoto, 2000. "Productivity-enhancing public investment and benefit taxation: the case of factor-augmenting public inputs," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 33(1), pages 114-121, February.
- Panagiotis Xidonas & George Mavrotas & John Psarras, 2010. "Equity portfolio construction and selection using multiobjective mathematical programming," Journal of Global Optimization- An International Journal Dealing with Theoretical and Computational Aspects of Seeking Global Optima and Their Applications in Science, Management and Engineering, Springer, vol. 47(2), pages 185-209, June.
- Diego Martinez Lopez & A. Jesus Sanchez Fuentes, 2006. "On the optimal level of public inputs," Working Papers 06.34, Universidad Pablo de Olavide, Department of Economics, revised Mar 2008.
- Gaube, Thomas, 2000. "When do distortionary taxes reduce the optimal supply of public goods?," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 76(2), pages 151-180, May.
- repec:ebl:ecbull:v:8:y:2007:i:9:p:1-10 is not listed on IDEAS
- Thomas Gaube, 2005. "Financing Public Goods with Income Taxation: Provision Rules vs. Provision Level," International Tax and Public Finance, Springer, vol. 12(3), pages 319-334, May.
- Pestieau, Pierre, 1978. "Public intermediate goods and distortionary taxation," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 7(4), pages 351-357, May.
- Matsumoto, Mutsumi, 1998. "A note on tax competition and public input provision," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 28(4), pages 465-473, July.
- A. B. Atkinson & N. H. Stern, 1974. "Pigou, Taxation and Public Goods," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 41(1), pages 119-128.
- Feehan, James P, 1989. "Pareto-Efficiency with Three Varieties of Public Input," Public Finance = Finances publiques, , vol. 44(2), pages 237-48.
- James P. Feehan, 2002. "Distortionary Taxation and Optimal Public Spending on Productive Activities," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 40(1), pages 60-68, January.
- Donghoon Lee & Matthew Wiswall, 2007. "A Parallel Implementation of the Simplex Function Minimization Routine," Computational Economics, Society for Computational Economics, vol. 30(2), pages 171-187, September.
- Ming Chang, 2000. "Rules and Levels in the Provision of Public Goods: The Role of Complementarities between the public Good and Taxed Commodities," International Tax and Public Finance, Springer, vol. 7(1), pages 83-91, February.
- Diego Martinez Lopez & A. Jesus Sanchez Fuentes, 2010. "How sensitive is the provision of public inputs to specifications?," Working Papers 10.04, Universidad Pablo de Olavide, Department of Economics.
- Wilson, John Douglas, 1991. "Optimal Public Good Provision with Limited Lump-Sum Taxation," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 81(1), pages 153-66, March.
- repec:kap:iaecre:v:11:y:2005:i:1:p:13-18 is not listed on IDEAS
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pab:wpaper:08.07. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Publicación Digital - UPO)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.