Market Integration, Choice of Technology and Welfare
This paper develops an international trade model where firms in a duopoly may diversify their technologies for strategic reasons. The firms face the same set of technologies given by a trade-off between marginal costs and fixed costs, but depending on trade costs the firms may choose different technologies. Market integration may induce a technological restructuring where the firms either diversify their technologies or switch to a homogenous technology leaving jumps in welfare both in the home and foreign country. It is shown that with respect to global welfare Cournot Nash equilibria with homogeneous firms are in some cases inferior to Cournot Nash equilibria with heterogeneous firms. A small decrease in trade costs, which induces a switch from heterogeneous technologies to a homogeneous technology, reduces global welfare. Extensive reductions in trade costs allow for the traditional positive global welfare effects of market integration.
|Date of creation:||Apr 2007|
|Date of revision:||Apr 2007|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +64 3 479 8725
Fax: 64 3 479 8171
Web page: http://www.business.otago.ac.nz/econ
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Andrew B. Bernard & J. Bradford Jensen, 2004.
"Why Some Firms Export,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics,
MIT Press, vol. 86(2), pages 561-569, May.
- Montagna, Catia, 2001.
"Efficiency Gaps, Love of Variety and International Trade,"
London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 68(269), pages 27-44, February.
- Catia Montagna, 1998. "Efficiency Gaps, Love of Variety and International Trade," Dundee Discussion Papers in Economics 090, Economic Studies, University of Dundee.
- Rod Falvey, 1998. "Mergers in Open Economies," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 21(8), pages 1061-1076, November.
- Schmitt, Nicolas & Yu, Zhihao, 2001. "Economies of scale and the volume of intra-industry trade," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 74(1), pages 127-132, December.
- Mills, David E. & Smith, William, 1996. "It pays to be different: Endogenous heterogeneity of firms in an oligopoly," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 14(3), pages 317-329, May.
- Eckel, Carsten & Neary, J. P., 2010.
"Multi-product firms and flexible manufacturing in the global economy,"
Munich Reprints in Economics
20525, University of Munich, Department of Economics.
- Carsten Eckel & J. Peter Neary, 2010. "Multi-Product Firms and Flexible Manufacturing in the Global Economy," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 77(1), pages 188-217.
- Peter Neary & Carsten Eckel, 2006. "Multi-Product Firms and Flexible Manufacturing in the Global Economy," Economics Series Working Papers 292, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Carsten Eckel & J Peter Neary, 2006. "Multi-Product Firms and Flexible Manufacturing in the Global Economy," Working Papers 200608, School Of Economics, University College Dublin.
- Eckel, Carsten & Neary, J Peter, 2006. "Multi-Product Firms and Flexible Manufacturing in the Global Economy," CEPR Discussion Papers 5941, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- David R. Collie, 2006. "Tariffs And Subsidies Under Asymmetric Oligopoly: Ad Valorem Versus Specific Instruments," Manchester School, University of Manchester, vol. 74(3), pages 314-333, 06.
- Nirvikar Singh & Xavier Vives, 1984. "Price and Quantity Competition in a Differentiated Duopoly," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 15(4), pages 546-554, Winter.
- Marc J. Melitz, 2003.
"The Impact of Trade on Intra-Industry Reallocations and Aggregate Industry Productivity,"
Econometric Society, vol. 71(6), pages 1695-1725, November.
- Mark J. Melitz, 2002. "The Impact of Trade on Intra-Industry Reallocations and Aggregate Industry Productivity," NBER Working Papers 8881, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Melitz, Marc J, 2002. "The Impact of Trade on Intra-Industry Reallocations and Aggregate Industry Productivity," CEPR Discussion Papers 3381, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Sajal Lahiri & Yoshiyasu Ono, 1997.
"Asymmetric oligopoly, international trade, and welfare: a synthesis,"
Journal of Economics,
Springer, vol. 65(3), pages 291-310, October.
- Sajal Lahiri and Yoshiyasu Ono, . "Asymmetric Oligopoly, International Trade, and Welfare: Synthesis," Economics Discussion Papers 435, University of Essex, Department of Economics.
- repec:bla:restud:v:77:y:2010:i:1:p:188-217 is not listed on IDEAS
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:otg:wpaper:0711. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Janet Bryant)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.