Kiwi drivers the New Zealand dollar experience
On 1 August 2011 the Reserve Bank s trade-weighted exchange rate index (TWI) rose to 75. The only previous time that this level was reached since the exchange rate was floated in 1985 was in July 2007. On both of these occasions, the high level of the TWI was matched by the ANZ commodity price index, which itself reached levels not seen in 30 years. The close timing of these peaks was almost certainly no coincidence. In this paper, we quantify this relationship and consider its importance for explaining the New Zealand dollar over the past 25 years relative to the many other influences, such as housing cycles and interest rate differentials.
|Date of creation:||May 2012|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: P.O. Box 2498, Wellington|
Phone: 64 4 471-3767
Fax: 64 4 471-2270
Web page: http://www.rbnz.govt.nz
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Alfred A Haug & Christie Smith, 2007.
"Local linear impulse responses for a small open economy,"
Reserve Bank of New Zealand Discussion Paper Series
DP2007/09, Reserve Bank of New Zealand.
- Alfred A. Haug & Christie Smith, 2012. "Local Linear Impulse Responses for a Small Open Economy," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 74(3), pages 470-492, 06.
- Alfred A. Haug & Christie Smith, 2007. "Local linear impulse responses for a small open economy," Working Papers 0707, University of Otago, Department of Economics, revised Apr 2007.
- Anella Munro, 2004. "What drives the New Zealand dollar?," Reserve Bank of New Zealand Bulletin, Reserve Bank of New Zealand, vol. 67, june.
- Kenneth Rogoff & Yu-chin Chen, 2002.
"Commodity Currencies and Empirical Exchange Rate Puzzles,"
IMF Working Papers
02/27, International Monetary Fund.
- Y.Chen & K. Rogoff, 2003. "Commodity Currencies and Empirical Exchange Rate Puzzles," DNB Staff Reports (discontinued) 76, Netherlands Central Bank.
- Anne-Marie Brook & David Hargreaves, 2000. "A macroeconomic balance measure of New Zealand's equilibrium exchange rate," Reserve Bank of New Zealand Discussion Paper Series DP2000/09, Reserve Bank of New Zealand.
- Bloor, Chris & Matheson, Troy, 2011.
"Real-time conditional forecasts with Bayesian VARs: An application to New Zealand,"
The North American Journal of Economics and Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 22(1), pages 26-42, January.
- Chris Bloor & Troy Matheson, 2009. "Real-time conditional forecasts with Bayesian VARs: An application to New Zealand," Reserve Bank of New Zealand Discussion Paper Series DP2009/02, Reserve Bank of New Zealand.
- Enzo Cassino & Zoe Wallis, 2010. "The New Zealand dollar through the global financial crisis," Reserve Bank of New Zealand Bulletin, Reserve Bank of New Zealand, vol. 73, pages 20-30, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:nzb:nzbans:2012/02. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Reserve Bank of New Zealand Knowledge Centre)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.