How Proper is Sequential Equilibrium?
We show that a strategy profile of a normal form game is proper if and only if it is quasi-perfect in every extensive form (with that normal form). Thus, properness requires optimality along a sequence of supporting trembles, while sequentiality only requires optimality in the limit.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
|Date of creation:||Jul 1996|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.kellogg.northwestern.edu/research/math/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Email: |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Leslie M. Marx & Jeroen M. Swinkels, 1996.
"Order Independence for Iterated Weak Dominance,"
1066R, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Marx, Leslie M. & Swinkels, Jeroen M., 1997. "Order Independence for Iterated Weak Dominance," Games and Economic Behavior, Elsevier, vol. 18(2), pages 219-245, February.
- Marx, Leslie M. & Swinkels, Jeroen M., 2000. "Order Independence for Iterated Weak Dominance," Games and Economic Behavior, Elsevier, vol. 31(2), pages 324-329, May.
- repec:att:wimass:9205 is not listed on IDEAS
- Mailath, G.J. & Samuelson, L. & Swinkels, J., 1991.
"extensive Form Reasoning in Normal Form Games,"
9130, Tilburg - Center for Economic Research.
- Mailath, G.J. & Samuelson, L. & Swinkels, J., 1990. "Extensive Form Reasoning In Normal Form Games," Working papers 90-13, Wisconsin Madison - Social Systems.
- Mailath, G.J. & Samuelson, L. & Swinkels, J., 1990. "Extensive Form Reasoning In Normal Form Games," Papers 1-90-1, Pennsylvania State - Department of Economics.
- Blume, Lawrence & Brandenburger, Adam & Dekel, Eddie, 1991.
"Lexicographic Probabilities and Choice under Uncertainty,"
Econometric Society, vol. 59(1), pages 61-79, January.
- Lawrence Blume & Adam Brandenburger & Eddie Dekel, 2014. "Lexicographic Probabilities and Choice Under Uncertainty," World Scientific Book Chapters, in: The Language of Game Theory Putting Epistemics into the Mathematics of Games, chapter 6, pages 137-160 World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd..
- R. Myerson, 2010.
"Refinement of the Nash Equilibrium Concept,"
Levine's Working Paper Archive
537, David K. Levine.
- Mailath George J. & Samuelson Larry & Swinkels Jeroen M., 1994.
"Normal Form Structures in Extensive Form Games,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 64(2), pages 325-371, December.
- KOHLBERG, Elon & MERTENS, Jean-François, .
"On the strategic stability of equilibria,"
CORE Discussion Papers RP
-716, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Myerson, Roger B, 1986.
"Multistage Games with Communication,"
Econometric Society, vol. 54(2), pages 323-58, March.
- Blume, Lawrence & Brandenburger, Adam & Dekel, Eddie, 1991. "Lexicographic Probabilities and Equilibrium Refinements," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 59(1), pages 81-98, January.
- van Damme, E.E.C., 1984. "A relation between perfect equilibria in extensive form games and proper equilibria in normal form games," Other publications TiSEM 3734d89e-fd5c-4c80-a230-5, Tilburg University, School of Economics and Management.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:nwu:cmsems:1161. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Fran Walker)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.