Does the impact of employment protection legislation on FDI differ by skill-intensity of sectors? An empirical investigation
In line with previous literature this paper finds that employment protection legislation, especially regulations towards regular employment, has a negative impact on the volume of inward Foreign Direct Investment. Yet, we also find that the deterrent effect of inflexible labor markets is predominantly given for industries with relatively high shares of low skilled workers employed. This result is consistent with the view that high exit costs due to strict employment protection legislation matters particularly for mobile industries like the textile, food and wood industries which continuously seek for low labor cost locations.
|Date of creation:|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (44) 0115 951 5620
Fax: (0115) 951 4159
Web page: http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/gep/index.aspx
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- James R. Markusen & Keith E. Maskus, 1999.
"Discriminating Among Alternative Theories of the Multinational Enterprise,"
NBER Working Papers
7164, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Markusen, James R & Maskus, Keith E, 2002. "Discriminating among Alternative Theories of the Multinational Enterprise," Review of International Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 10(4), pages 694-707, November.
- Michael Peneder, 2007. "A sectoral taxonomy of educational intensity," Empirica, Springer, vol. 34(3), pages 189-212, July.
- Gerda Dewit & Holger Görg & Catia Montagna, 2009. "Should I stay or should I go? Foreign direct investment, employment protection and domestic anchorage," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 145(1), pages 93-110, April.
- Roxana Radulescu & Martin Robson, 2008. "Trade Unions, Wage Bargaining Coordination, and Foreign Direct Investment," LABOUR, CEIS, vol. 22(4), pages 661-678, December.
- Javorcik, Beata & Spatareanu, Mariana, 2005.
"Do Foreign Investors Care About Labour Market Regulations?,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
4839, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Beata Smarzynska Javorcik & Mariana Spatareanu, 2005. "Do Foreign Investors Care about Labor Market Regulations?," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 141(3), pages 375-403, October.
- Smarzynska, Beata & Spartareanu, Mariana, 2004. "Do foreign investors care about labor market regulations?," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3275, The World Bank.
- Beata Smarzynska Javorcik & Mariana Spatareanu, 2005. "Do Foreign Investors Care about Labor Market Regulations?," Working Papers Rutgers University, Newark 2005-005, Department of Economics, Rutgers University, Newark.
- Ronald B. Davies, 2002.
"Hunting High and Low for Vertical FDI,"
University of Oregon Economics Department Working Papers
2002-12, University of Oregon Economics Department, revised 01 Aug 2002.
- José Guimón, 2009. "Government strategies to attract R&D-intensive FDI," The Journal of Technology Transfer, Springer, vol. 34(4), pages 364-379, August.
- Jan I. Haaland & Ian Wooton & Giulia Faggio, 2002.
"Multinational Firms: Easy Come, Easy Go?,"
FinanzArchiv: Public Finance Analysis,
Mohr Siebeck, Tübingen, vol. 59(1), pages 3-, February.
- Haaland, J.I. & Wooton, I., 2000. "Multinational Firms: Easy Come, Easy Go?," Papers 19/00, Norwegian School of Economics and Business Administration-.
- Haaland, Jan I. & Wooton, Ian, 2001. "Multinational Firms: Easy Come, Easy Go?," CEPR Discussion Papers 2660, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Haaland, Jan Ingvald Meidell & Wooton, Ian, 2001. "Multinational firms: Easy come, easy go?," Center for European, Governance and Economic Development Research Discussion Papers 11, University of Goettingen, Department of Economics.
- Olivier Blanchard & Justin Wolfers, 1999.
"The Role of Shocks and Institutions in the Rise of European Unemployment: The Aggregate Evidence,"
NBER Working Papers
7282, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Blanchard, Olivier & Wolfers, Justin, 2000. "The Role of Shocks and Institutions in the Rise of European Unemployment: The Aggregate Evidence," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 110(462), pages C1-33, March.
- Devereux, Michael P. & Griffith, Rachel, 1998.
"Taxes and the location of production: evidence from a panel of US multinationals,"
Journal of Public Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 68(3), pages 335-367, June.
- Michael Devereux & Rachel Griffith, 1996. "Taxes and the location of production: evidence from a panel of US multinationals," IFS Working Papers W96/14, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Agnès Bénassy-Quéré & Maylis Coupet & Thierry Mayer, 2005.
"Institutional Determinants of Foreign Direct Investment,"
2005-05, CEPII research center.
- Agnès Bénassy-Quéré & Maylis Coupet & Thierry Mayer, 2007. "Institutional Determinants of Foreign Direct Investment," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 30(5), pages 764-782, 05.
- Christian Bellak & Markus Leibrecht & Joze P. Damijan, 2007.
"Infrastructure endowment and corporate income taxes as determinants of Foreign Direct Investment in Central- and Eastern European Countries,"
LICOS Discussion Papers
19307, LICOS - Centre for Institutions and Economic Performance, KU Leuven.
- Christian Bellak & Markus Leibrecht & Jože P. Damijan, 2009. "Infrastructure Endowment and Corporate Income Taxes as Determinants of Foreign Direct Investment in Central and Eastern European Countries," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 32(2), pages 267-290, 02.
- Mutti, John & Grubert, Harry, 2004. "Empirical asymmetries in foreign direct investment and taxation," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 62(2), pages 337-358, March.
- Agnès Bénassy-Quéré & Nicolas Gobalraja & Alain Trannoy, 2007. "Tax and public input competition," Economic Policy, CEPR;CES;MSH, vol. 22, pages 385-430, 04.
- Isabel Faeth, 2009. "Determinants Of Foreign Direct Investment - A Tale Of Nine Theoretical Models," Journal of Economic Surveys, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 23(1), pages 165-196, 02.
- Peter E. Kennedy, 2005. "Oh No! I Got the Wrong Sign! What Should I Do?," The Journal of Economic Education, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 36(1), pages 77-92, January.
- Pissarides, Christopher A., 2001. "Employment protection," Labour Economics, Elsevier, vol. 8(2), pages 131-159, May.
- Mollick Andre Varella & Ramos-Duran Rene & Silva-Ochoa Esteban, 2006. "Infrastructure and FDI Inflows into Mexico: A Panel Data Approach," Global Economy Journal, De Gruyter, vol. 6(1), pages 1-27, February.
- Markus Leibrecht & Johann Scharler, 2009.
"How important is employment protection legislation for Foreign Direct Investment flows in Central and Eastern European countries?,"
The Economics of Transition,
The European Bank for Reconstruction and Development, vol. 17(2), pages 275-295, 04.
- Markus Leibrecht & Johann Scharler, 2007. "How Important is Employment Protection Legislation for Foreign Direct Investment Flows in Central and Eastern European Countries?," Economics working papers 2007-16, Department of Economics, Johannes Kepler University Linz, Austria.
- Buch, Claudia M. & Lipponer, Alexander, 2007. "FDI versus exports: Evidence from German banks," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 31(3), pages 805-826, March.
- Gross, Dominique M. & Ryan, Michael, 2008. "FDI location and size: Does employment protection legislation matter?," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 38(6), pages 590-605, November.
- Bevan, Alan A. & Estrin, Saul, 2004. "The determinants of foreign direct investment into European transition economies," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 32(4), pages 775-787, December.
- Dennis J. Snower & Alessio J. G. Brown & Christian Merkl, 2009. "Globalization and the Welfare State: A Review of Hans-Werner Sinn's Can Germany Be Saved?," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 47(1), pages 136-58, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:not:notgep:09/21. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Hilary Hughes)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.