How Important is Employment Protection Legislation for Foreign Direct Investment Flows in Central and Eastern European Countries?
The purpose of this paper is to investigate empirically the importance of labor market conditions and in particular of employment protection legislation as a determinant of bilateral Foreign Direct Investment flows to seven Central and Eastern European countries. Although our results indicate that countries characterized by low unit labor costs tend to attract more Foreign Direct Investment, we find no evidence suggesting that employment protection legislation matters in this context. This result also holds if we control for the riskiness of the host countries.
|Date of creation:||Oct 2007|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Fax: +43 732-2468-8238|
Web page: http://www.econ.jku.at/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Liu, Zhiqiang, 2002. "Foreign Direct Investment and Technology Spillover: Evidence from China," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 30(3), pages 579-602, September.
- Beata Smarzynska Javorcik & Mariana Spatareanu, 2005.
"Do Foreign Investors Care about Labor Market Regulations?,"
Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv),
Springer, vol. 141(3), pages 375-403, October.
- Beata Smarzynska Javorcik & Mariana Spatareanu, 2005. "Do Foreign Investors Care about Labor Market Regulations?," Working Papers Rutgers University, Newark 2005-005, Department of Economics, Rutgers University, Newark.
- Smarzynska, Beata & Spartareanu, Mariana, 2004. "Do foreign investors care about labor market regulations?," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3275, The World Bank.
- Javorcik, Beata & Spatareanu, Mariana, 2005. "Do Foreign Investors Care About Labour Market Regulations?," CEPR Discussion Papers 4839, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Agnès Bénassy-Quéré & Maylis Coupet & Thierry Mayer, 2005.
"Institutional Determinants of Foreign Direct Investment,"
2005-05, CEPII research center.
- Agnès Bénassy-Quéré & Maylis Coupet & Thierry Mayer, 2007. "Institutional Determinants of Foreign Direct Investment," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 30(5), pages 764-782, 05.
- Haaland, Jan Ingvald Meidell & Wooton, Ian, 2001.
"Multinational firms: Easy come, easy go?,"
Center for European, Governance and Economic Development Research Discussion Papers
11, University of Goettingen, Department of Economics.
- Markusen, James R. & Venables, Anthony J., 1998.
"Multinational firms and the new trade theory,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 46(2), pages 183-203, December.
- Wolfgang Ochel, 2005. "Concepts and Measurement of Labour Market Institutions," CESifo DICE Report, Ifo Institute for Economic Research at the University of Munich, vol. 3(4), pages 40-55, 01.
- Peter Egger, .
"On the Problem of Endogenous Unobserved Effects in the Estimation of Gravity Models,"
WIFO Working Papers
- Egger, Peter, 2004. "On the Problem of Endogenous Unobserved Effects in the Estimation of Gravity Models," Journal of Economic Integration, Center for Economic Integration, Sejong University, vol. 19, pages 182-191.
- Egger, Peter & Winner, Hannes, 2005. "Evidence on corruption as an incentive for foreign direct investment," European Journal of Political Economy, Elsevier, vol. 21(4), pages 932-952, December.
- Agnès Bénassy-Quéré & Nicolas Gobalraja & Alain Trannoy, 2007. "Tax and public input competition," Economic Policy, CEPR;CES;MSH, vol. 22, pages 385-430, 04.
- Kai Carstensen & Farid Toubal, 2003.
"Foreign Direct Investment in Central and Eastern European Countries: A Dynamic Panel Analysis,"
Kiel Working Papers
1143, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Carstensen, Kai & Toubal, Farid, 2004. "Foreign direct investment in Central and Eastern European countries: a dynamic panel analysis," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 32(1), pages 3-22, March.
- Carstensen, Kai & Toubal, Farid, 2004. "Foreign direct investment in Central and Eastern European countries: A dynamic panel analysis," Munich Reprints in Economics 19965, University of Munich, Department of Economics.
- Demekas, Dimitri G. & Horvath, Balazs & Ribakova, Elina & Wu, Yi, 2007. "Foreign direct investment in European transition economies--The role of policies," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 35(2), pages 369-386, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:jku:econwp:2007_16. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ren� B�heim)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.