Labor Market Rigidity And Foreign Direct Investment: The Case Of Europe
This paper examines the relationship between labor market rigidity and FDI decisions by Europeans multi-nationals firms during 2004-2008. We use firm-level data for European Multinational Enterprises investment in 41 European countries during these four years. Using conditional fixed effect logit and Tobit estimations, we show that European MNEs generally respond to regulatory, gravity and firm specific indicators in the expected ways, but their responses to changes in labor market institutions are less consistent. We also find that the relationship between MNEs location decision and host country’s labor market institutional factors is sensitive to host country’s development stage and market integration with the EU countries.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 13 (2013)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.usc.es/economet/eaa.htm|
|Order Information:|| Web: http://www.usc.es/economet/info.htm Email: |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Gerda Dewit & Holger Görg & Catia Montagna, 2009. "Should I stay or should I go? Foreign direct investment, employment protection and domestic anchorage," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer;Institut für Weltwirtschaft (Kiel Institute for the World Economy), vol. 145(1), pages 93-110, April.
- Hazel Parcon, 2008. "Labor Market Flexibility as a Determinant of FDI Inflows," Working Papers 200807, University of Hawaii at Manoa, Department of Economics.
- Juan C. Botero & Simeon Djankov & Rafael La Porta & Florencio Lopez-de-Silanes & Andrei Shleifer, 2004.
"The Regulation of Labor,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
Oxford University Press, vol. 119(4), pages 1339-1382.
- Juan Botero & Simeon Djankov & Rafael LaPorta & Florencio López-de-Silanes & Andrei Shleifer, "undated". "The Regulation of Labor," Working Paper 19483, Harvard University OpenScholar.
- Botero, J. C. & Djankov, S. & Porta, R. L. & Lopez-de-Silanes, F. & Shleifer, Andrei, 2004. "The Regulation of Labor," Scholarly Articles 27867241, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Simeon Djankov & Rafael La Porta & Florencio Lopez-de-Silane & Andrei Shleifer & Juan Botero, 2003. "The Regulation of Labor," NBER Working Papers 9756, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Borensztein, E. & De Gregorio, J. & Lee, J-W., 1998. "How does foreign direct investment affect economic growth?1," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 45(1), pages 115-135, June.
- Eduardo Borensztein & Jose De Gregorio & Jong-Wha Lee, 1995. "How Does Foreign Direct Investment Affect Economic Growth?," NBER Working Papers 5057, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Olney, William W., 2013. "A race to the bottom? Employment protection and foreign direct investment," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 91(2), pages 191-203.
- William W. Olney, 2010. "A Race to the Bottom? Employment Protection and Foreign Direct Investment," Department of Economics Working Papers 2011-02, Department of Economics, Williams College, revised Aug 2013.
- William W. Olney, 2010. "A Race to the Bottom? Employment Protection and Foreign Direct Investment," Center for Development Economics 2011-05, Department of Economics, Williams College, revised Aug 2013.
- Markus Leibrecht & Johann Scharler, 2009. "How important is employment protection legislation for Foreign Direct Investment flows in Central and Eastern European countries?," The Economics of Transition, The European Bank for Reconstruction and Development, vol. 17(2), pages 275-295, 04.
- Markus Leibrecht & Johann Scharler, 2007. "How Important is Employment Protection Legislation for Foreign Direct Investment Flows in Central and Eastern European Countries?," Economics working papers 2007-16, Department of Economics, Johannes Kepler University Linz, Austria.
- Bruce Blonigen, 2005. "A Review of the Empirical Literature on FDI Determinants," Atlantic Economic Journal, Springer;International Atlantic Economic Society, vol. 33(4), pages 383-403, December.
- Bruce A. Blonigen, 2005. "A Review of the Empirical Literature on FDI Determinants," NBER Working Papers 11299, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.