Multinational Firms: Easy Come, Easy Go?
Although many countries welcome inward investments by multinational firms (MNEs), it is often perceived that MNEs readily close down production in bad times. We study the choice of an MNE in deciding whether to establish a branch plant within a region, explicitly taking into account exit, as well as entry, costs. Protecting workers by having strict lay-off rules deters potential investment while subsidies attract it. We examine the policy trade-off for a host government and investigate how uncertainty affects the attractiveness of investment in a particular location. Just how much does the ease of exit influence the entry decision?
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
|Date of creation:||Jan 2001|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Centre for Economic Policy Research, 77 Bastwick Street, London EC1V 3PZ.|
Phone: 44 - 20 - 7183 8801
Fax: 44 - 20 - 7183 8820
|Order Information:|| Email: |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- James R. Markusen & Anthony J. Venables, 1997.
"Foreign Direct Investment as a Catalyst for Industrial Development,"
NBER Working Papers
6241, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Markusen, James R. & Venables, Anthony J., 1999. "Foreign direct investment as a catalyst for industrial development," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 43(2), pages 335-356, February.
- Kind, Hans Jarle & Schjelderup, Guttorm & Ulltveit-Moe, Karen-Helene, 1999.
"Competing for Capital in a 'Lumpy' World,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
2188, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Kind, H.J. & Knarvik, K.H.M. & Schjelderup, G., 1999. "Competing for Capital in a "Lumpy" World," Papers 7/99, Norwegian School of Economics and Business Administration-.
- Hans Jarle Kind & Helene Midelfart & Guttorm Schjelderup, 2000. "Competing for Capital in a "Lumpy" World," CESifo Working Paper Series 252, CESifo Group Munich.
- Schnitzer, Monika, 1999.
"Expropriation and control rights: A dynamic model of foreign direct investment,"
International Journal of Industrial Organization,
Elsevier, vol. 17(8), pages 1113-1137, November.
- Schnitzer, Monika, 1999. "Expropriation and control rights: A dynamic model of foreign direct investment," Munich Reprints in Economics 19890, University of Munich, Department of Economics.
- Schnitzer, Monika, 1998. "Expropriation and Control Rights: A Dynamic Model of Foreign Direct Investment," CEPR Discussion Papers 1891, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Haaland, J.I. & Wooton, I., 1998.
"International Competition for Multinational Investment,"
14/98, Norwegian School of Economics and Business Administration-.
- Haaland, Jan I & Wooton, Ian, 1999. " International Competition for Multinational Investment," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 101(4), pages 631-49, December.
- Haaland, Jan I. & Wooton, Ian, 1998. "International Competition for Multinational Investment," CEPR Discussion Papers 1937, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Ram Mudambi, 1999. "Multinational Investment Attraction: Principal-Agent Considerations," International Journal of the Economics of Business, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 6(1), pages 65-79.
- Andreas Haufler & Ian Wooton, .
"Country Size and Tax Competition for Foreign Direct Investment,"
9702, Business School - Economics, University of Glasgow.
- Haufler, Andreas & Wooton, Ian, 1999. "Country size and tax competition for foreign direct investment," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 71(1), pages 121-139, January.
- Haufler, Andreas & Wooton, Ian, 1999. "Country size and tax competition for foreign direct investment," Munich Reprints in Economics 20408, University of Munich, Department of Economics.
- Michael Devereux & Rachel Griffith, 1996.
"Taxes and the location of production: evidence from a panel of US multinationals,"
IFS Working Papers
W96/14, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Devereux, Michael P. & Griffith, Rachel, 1998. "Taxes and the location of production: evidence from a panel of US multinationals," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 68(3), pages 335-367, June.
- repec:oup:restud:v:57:y:1990:i:3:p:381-402 is not listed on IDEAS
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cpr:ceprdp:2660. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask to update the entry or send us the correct email address
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.