Homeownership in the Immigrant Population
This paper analyzes the determinants of homeownership in immigrant households over the 1980-2000 period. The study finds that immigrants have lower homeownership rates than natives and that the homeownership gap widened significantly during that period. The differential location decisions of immigrant and native households, as well as the changing national origin mix of the immigrant population, helps explain much of the homeownership gap. The evidence also indicates that the growth of ethnic enclaves in major American cities could become an important factor in increasing immigrant demand for owner-occupied housing in many metropolitan areas.
|Date of creation:||May 2002|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||published as Borjas, George J. "Homeownership In The Immigrant Population," Journal of Urban Economics, 2002, v52(3,Nov), 448-476.|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.nber.org
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- George J. Borjas, 1992.
"National Origin and the Skills of Immigrants in the Postwar Period,"
in: Immigration and the Workforce: Economic Consequences for the United States and Source Areas, pages 17-48
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- George J. Borjas, 1991. "National Origin and the Skills of Immigrants in the Postwar Period," NBER Working Papers 3575, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Gyourko, Joseph & Linneman, Peter, 1996. "Analysis of the Changing Influences on Traditional Households' Ownership Patterns," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 39(3), pages 318-341, May.
- Coulson, N. Edward, 1999. "Why Are Hispanic- and Asian-American Homeownership Rates So Low?: Immigration and Other Factors," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 45(2), pages 209-227, March.
- Rachel M. Friedberg & Jennifer Hunt, 1995.
"The Impact of Immigrants on Host Country Wages, Employment and Growth,"
Journal of Economic Perspectives,
American Economic Association, vol. 9(2), pages 23-44, Spring.
- Rachel M. Friedberg & J. Hunt, 1995. "The Impact of Immigrants on Host Country Wages, Employment and Growth," Working Papers 95-5, Brown University, Department of Economics.
- Cutler, David M & Glaeser, Edward L, 1997.
"Are Ghettos Good or Bad?,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
MIT Press, vol. 112(3), pages 827-72, August.
- Rosenthal, Stuart S. & Duca, John V. & Gabriel, Stuart A., 1991.
"Credit rationing and the demand for owner-occupied housing,"
Journal of Urban Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 30(1), pages 48-63, July.
- Stuart S. Rosenthal & John V. Duca & Stuart A. Gabriel, 1987. "Credit rationing and the demand for owner-occupied housing," Working Paper Series / Economic Activity Section 79, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Borjas, George J, 1985. "Assimilation, Changes in Cohort Quality, and the Earnings of Immigrants," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 3(4), pages 463-89, October.
- Evans, William N & Oates, Wallace E & Schwab, Robert M, 1992. "Measuring Peer Group Effects: A Study of Teenage Behavior," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 100(5), pages 966-91, October.
- Dowell Myers & Seong Lee, 1996. "Immigration cohorts and residential overcrowding in southern California," Demography, Springer, vol. 33(1), pages 51-65, February.
- Ihlanfeldt, Keith Ray, 1981. "An empirical investigation of alternative approaches to estimating the equilibrium demand for housing," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 9(1), pages 97-105, January.
- Albert Saiz, 2003. "Room in the Kitchen for the Melting Pot: Immigration and Rental Prices," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 85(3), pages 502-521, August.
- George J. Borjas, 1994. "The Economics of Immigration," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 32(4), pages 1667-1717, December.
- Lauren Krivo, 1995. "Immigrant characteristics and Hispanic-Anglo housing inequality," Demography, Springer, vol. 32(4), pages 599-615, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:nbr:nberwo:8945. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.