The Silent Majority Fallacy of the Elzinga-Hogarty Criteria: A Critique and New Approach to Analyzing Hospital Mergers
Download full text from publisher
References listed on IDEAS
- Dranove, David, 1998. "Economies of scale in non-revenue producing cost centers: Implications for hospital mergers," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 17(1), pages 69-83, January.
- Acton, Jan Paul, 1975. "Nonmonetary Factors in the Demand for Medical Services: Some Empirical Evidence," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 83(3), pages 595-614, June.
- Froeb, L. & Werden, G.J. & Tardiff, T.J., 1993. "The Demsetz Postulate and the Effects of Mergers in Differentiated Products Industries," Papers 93-5, U.S. Department of Justice - Antitrust Division.
- Werden, G.J. & G.J. & Froeb, L.M., 1995. "Simulation as an Alternative to Structural Merger Policy in Differentiated Products Industries," Papers 95-02, U.S. Department of Justice - Antitrust Division.
- Aviv Nevo, 2000. "Mergers with Differentiated Products: The Case of the Ready-to-Eat Cereal Industry," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 31(3), pages 395-421, Autumn.
- Hogarty, Thomas F & Elzinga, Kenneth G, 1972. "The Demand for Beer," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 54(2), pages 195-198, May.
- Goldberg, Pinelopi Koujianou & Knetter, Michael M., 1999.
"Measuring the intensity of competition in export markets,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 47(1), pages 27-60, February.
- Pinelopi K. Goldberg & Michael M. Knetter, 1995. "Measuring the Intensity of Competition in Export Markets," NBER Working Papers 5226, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- David Dranove & William D. White, 1998. "Emerging issues in the antitrust definition of healthcare markets," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 7(2), pages 167-170.
- Berry, Steven & Levinsohn, James & Pakes, Ariel, 1995. "Automobile Prices in Market Equilibrium," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 63(4), pages 841-890, July.
- Baker, Jonathan B. & Bresnahan, Timothy F., 1988. "Estimating the residual demand curve facing a single firm," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 6(3), pages 283-300.
- Kahai, Simran K & Kaserman, David L & Mayo, John W, 1996. "Is the "Dominant Firm" Dominant? An Empirical Analysis of AT&T's Market Power," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 39(2), pages 499-517, October.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Lee Mobley & H. E. Frech & Luc Anselin, 2009.
"Spatial Interaction, Spatial Multipliers and Hospital Competition,"
International Journal of the Economics of Business,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 16(1), pages 1-17.
- Mobley, Lee R & Frech, Ted E & Anselin, Luc, 2008. "Spatial Interaction, Spatial Multipliers, and Hospital Competition," University of California at Santa Barbara, Economics Working Paper Series qt4m8862hd, Department of Economics, UC Santa Barbara.
- Silvana Robone & Alberto Zanardi, 2006. "Market structure and technology: evidence from the Italian National Health Service," International Journal of Health Economics and Management, Springer, vol. 6(3), pages 215-236, September.
- Katherine Ho, 2006.
"The welfare effects of restricted hospital choice in the US medical care market,"
Journal of Applied Econometrics,
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 21(7), pages 1039-1079.
- Katherine Ho, 2005. "The Welfare Effects of Restricted Hospital Choice in the US Medical Care Market," NBER Working Papers 11819, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- John Simpson, 2003. "Geographic markets in hospital mergers: a case study," International Journal of the Economics of Business, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 10(3), pages 291-303.
- Daniel P. Kessler, 2005. "Can Ranking Hospitals on the Basis of Patients' Travel Distances Improve Quality of Care?," NBER Working Papers 11419, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- David Dranove & Daniel Kessler & Mark McClellan & Mark Satterthwaite, 2003.
"Is More Information Better? The Effects of "Report Cards" on Health Care Providers,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 111(3), pages 555-588, June.
- David Dranove & Daniel Kessler & Mark McClellan & Mark Satterthwaite, 2002. "Is More Information Better? The Effects of 'Report Cards' on Health Care Providers," NBER Working Papers 8697, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Joseph Farrell & David Balan & Keith Brand & Brett Wendling, 2011. "Economics at the FTC: Hospital Mergers, Authorized Generic Drugs, and Consumer Credit Markets," Review of Industrial Organization, Springer;The Industrial Organization Society, vol. 39(4), pages 271-296, December.
- Warell, Linda, 2005. "Defining geographic coal markets using price data and shipments data," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 33(17), pages 2216-2230, November.
- repec:eee:hapoch:v1_951 is not listed on IDEAS
- Kyna Fong, 2007. "Evaluating Skilled Experts: Optimal Scoring Rules for Surgeons," Discussion Papers 07-043, Stanford Institute for Economic Policy Research.
- Marco Varkevisser & Stéphanie Geest & Frederik Schut, 2010. "Assessing hospital competition when prices don’t matter to patients: the use of time-elasticities," International Journal of Health Economics and Management, Springer, vol. 10(1), pages 43-60, March.
- Wu, Vivian Y., 2009. "Managed care's price bargaining with hospitals," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 28(2), pages 350-360, March.
- Pietrzak, Michał & Roman, Monika & Mucha, Marcin, 0. "Geographical delineation of sugar market basing on Eliznga-Hogarty method," Problems of Agricultural Economics, Institute of Agricultural and Food Economics - National Research Institute (IAFE-NRI).
- Evans, William N. & Kim, Beomsoo, 2006. "Patient outcomes when hospitals experience a surge in admissions," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 25(2), pages 365-388, March.
More about this item
- L4 - Industrial Organization - - Antitrust Issues and Policies
- I1 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Health
NEP fieldsThis paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:nbr:nberwo:8216. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (). General contact details of provider: http://edirc.repec.org/data/nberrus.html .