Sovereign Debt and Consumption Smoothing
This paper shows that whether or not a sovereign can borrow to smooth consumption depends both on how consumption smoothing is achieved, whether by contingent debt issuance or by contingent debt servicing, and on the exact nature of the penalty for debt repudiation. If a sovereign that repudiated its debt could not borrow again, but could continue to save and to dissave, then contingent debt issuance, without contingent debt servicing, cannot support a positive amount of uncollateralized sovereign debt. But, under this same specification of the penalty for repudiation, contingent debt servicing supports a positive amount of uncollateralized sovereign debt.
|Date of creation:||Apr 1997|
|Publication status:||published as Journal of Monetary Economics, Vol. 44, no. 1 (August 1999): 149-158.|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: National Bureau of Economic Research, 1050 Massachusetts Avenue Cambridge, MA 02138, U.S.A.|
Web page: http://www.nber.org
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jonathan Eaton & Mark Gersovitz & Joseph E. Stiglitz, 1991.
"The Pure Theory of Country Risk,"
in: International Volatility and Economic Growth: The First Ten Years of The International Seminar on Macroeconomics, pages 391-435
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Herschel I. Grossman & John B. Van Huyck, 1985.
"Sovereign Debt as a Contingent Claim: Excusable Default, Repudiation, and Reputation,"
NBER Working Papers
1673, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Grossman, Herschel I & Van Huyck, John B, 1988. "Sovereign Debt as a Contingent Claim: Excusable Default, Repudiation, and Reputation," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 78(5), pages 1088-1097, December.
- Worrall, Tim, 1988.
"Debt with potential repudiation,"
Discussion Papers, Series II
69, University of Konstanz, Collaborative Research Centre (SFB) 178 "Internationalization of the Economy".
- V. V. Chari & Patrick J. Kehoe, 1989.
"Sustainable plans and debt,"
125, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Eaton, Jonathan, 1992.
"Sovereign debt : a primer,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
855, The World Bank.
- Jonathan Eaton, 1991. "Sovereign Debt: A Primer," Boston University - Institute for Economic Development 21, Boston University, Institute for Economic Development.
- Jonathan Eaton & Mark Gersovitz, 1981. "Debt with Potential Repudiation: Theoretical and Empirical Analysis," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 48(2), pages 289-309.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:nbr:nberwo:5997. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.