FDI and Capital Formation in Developing Economies: New Evidence from Industry-level Data
We contribute to the long debated issue of whether inward foreign direct investment (FDI) can stimulate investment in developing countries by introducing a novel measure of FDI, based on industry-level data. Our results suggest a positive impact of FDI on total investment – measured as the ratio of gross fixed capital formation to GDP – but only if multinational enterprises engage in manufacturing production; the same does not hold for other business activities. Moreover, we find evidence of a more beneficial impact of foreign investors from advanced economies compared to developing ones. Our results are robust to alternative measures of FDI, as well as to instrumental variable approaches accounting for the potential endogeneity of FDI.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
|Date of creation:||Jan 2017|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: National Bureau of Economic Research, 1050 Massachusetts Avenue Cambridge, MA 02138, U.S.A.|
Web page: http://www.nber.org
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jonathan Munemo, 2014. "Business start-up regulations and the complementarity between foreign and domestic investment," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer;Institut für Weltwirtschaft (Kiel Institute for the World Economy), vol. 150(4), pages 745-761, November.
- Adams, Samuel, 2009. "Foreign Direct investment, domestic investment, and economic growth in Sub-Saharan Africa," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 31(6), pages 939-949, November.
- Dierk Herzer, 2012.
"How Does Foreign Direct Investment Really Affect Developing Countries' Growth?,"
Review of International Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 20(2), pages 396-414, 05.
- Dierk Herzer, 2010. "How does foreign direct investment really affect developing countries` growth?," Ibero America Institute for Econ. Research (IAI) Discussion Papers 207, Ibero-America Institute for Economic Research.
- Farla, Kristine & de Crombrugghe, Denis & Verspagen, Bart, 2016.
"Institutions, Foreign Direct Investment, and Domestic Investment: Crowding Out or Crowding In?,"
Elsevier, vol. 88(C), pages 1-9.
- Farla K. & Crombrugghe D.P.I. de & Verspagen B., 2013. "Institutions, foreign direct investment, and domestic investment : crowding out or crowding in?," MERIT Working Papers 054, United Nations University - Maastricht Economic and Social Research Institute on Innovation and Technology (MERIT).
- Barry P. Bosworth & Susan M. Collins, 1999. "Capital Flows to Developing Economies: Implications for Saving and Investment," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 30(1), pages 143-180.
- Borensztein, E. & De Gregorio, J. & Lee, J-W., 1998.
"How does foreign direct investment affect economic growth?1,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 45(1), pages 115-135, June.
- Eduardo Borensztein & Jose De Gregorio & Jong-Wha Lee, 1995. "How Does Foreign Direct Investment Affect Economic Growth?," NBER Working Papers 5057, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ayesha Ashraf & Dierk Herzer, 2014. "The effects of greenfield investment and M&As on domestic investment in developing countries," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 21(14), pages 997-1000, September.
- Titarenko, Deniss, 2005. "The Influence of Foreign Direct Investment on Domestic Investment Processes in Latvia," MPRA Paper 18192, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Morrissey, Oliver & Udomkerdmongkol, Manop, 2012. "Governance, Private Investment and Foreign Direct Investment in Developing Countries," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 40(3), pages 437-445.
- Morrissey, Oliver & Udomkerdmongkol, Manop, 2016. "Response to ‘Institutions, Foreign Direct Investment, and Domestic Investment: Crowding Out or Crowding In?’," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 88(C), pages 10-11.
- Marco Sanfilippo & Adnan Seric, 2014. "Spillovers from agglomerations and inward FDI. A Multilevel Analysis on SSA domestic firms," RSCAS Working Papers 2014/76, European University Institute.
- Ali Al-Sadig, 2013. "The effects of foreign direct investment on private domestic investment: evidence from developing countries," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 44(3), pages 1267-1275, June.
- Nicholas Apergis & Costantinos Katrakilidis & Nikolaos Tabakis, 2006. "Dynamic Linkages between FDI Inflows and Domestic Investment: A Panel Cointegration Approach," Atlantic Economic Journal, Springer;International Atlantic Economic Society, vol. 34(4), pages 385-394, December.
- Tang, Sumei & Selvanathan, E.A. & Selvanathan, S., 2008.
"Foreign Direct Investment, Domestic Investment, and Economic Growth in China: A Time Series Analysis,"
WIDER Working Paper Series
019, World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Sumei Tang & E. A. Selvanathan & S. Selvanathan, 2008. "Foreign Direct Investment, Domestic Investment and Economic Growth in China: A Time Series Analysis," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 31(10), pages 1292-1309, October.
- Manuel Agosin & Roberto Machado, 2005.
"Foreign Investment in Developing Countries: Does it Crowd in Domestic Investment?,"
Oxford Development Studies,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 33(2), pages 149-162.
- Manuel R. AGOSIN & Ricardo MAYER, 2000. "Foreign Investment In Developing Countries, Does It Crowd In Domestic Investment?," UNCTAD Discussion Papers 146, United Nations Conference on Trade and Development.
- Ann E. Harrison & Brian J. Aitken, 1999. "Do Domestic Firms Benefit from Direct Foreign Investment? Evidence from Venezuela," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 89(3), pages 605-618, June.
- Blalock, Garrick & Gertler, Paul J., 2008. "Welfare gains from Foreign Direct Investment through technology transfer to local suppliers," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 74(2), pages 402-421, March.
- John Mutenyo & Emmanuel Asmah & Aquilars Kalio, 2010. "Does Foreign Direct Investment Crowd-Out Domestic Private Investment in Sub-Saharan Africa?," The African Finance Journal, Africagrowth Institute, vol. 12(1), pages 27-52.
- Calderon, Cesar & Loayza, Norman & Serven, Luis, 2004. "Greenfield foreign direct investment and mergers and acquisitions - feedback and macroeconomic effects," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3192, The World Bank.
- Van Loo, Frances, 1977. "The Effect of Foreign Direct Investment on Investment in Canada," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 59(4), pages 474-481, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:nbr:nberwo:23049. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.