Dynamic Linkages Among Foreign Direct Investment, Public Investment And Private Investment: Evidence From Turkey
This study seeks to provide evidence on the dynamic interactions among foreign direct investment (FDI), private domestic investment and public domestic investment in Turkey for the period 1970-2009 using a multivariate VAR framework. Our findings indicate that there is no long-run relationship between FDI, public investment and private investment, indicating the poor contribution of FDI to the Turkish investment path. The lack of interaction between FDI and domestic investment, which impedes the contribution of FDI to economic growth from capital accumulation channel, questions the benefits of FDI. These results suggest that special emphasis should be given to improving investment climate.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 11 (2011)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.usc.es/economet/eaa.htm|
|Order Information:|| Web: http://www.usc.es/economet/info.htm Email: |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Nigel Driffield & Dylan Hughes, 2003. "Foreign and Domestic Investment: Regional Development or Crowding Out?," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 37(3), pages 277-288.
- Léonce Ndikumana & Sher Verick, 2007. "The Linkages between FDI and Domestic Investment: Unravelling the Developmental Impact of Foreign Investment," UMASS Amherst Economics Working Papers 2007-13, University of Massachusetts Amherst, Department of Economics.
- Jan Mišun & Vladimr Tomšk, 2002. "Does Foreign Direct Investment Crowd in or Crowd out Domestic Investment?," Eastern European Economics, M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 40(2), pages 38-56, March.
- L.R. de Mello Jr., 1996.
"Foreign Direct Investment-Led Growth: Evidence from Time Series and Panel Data,"
Studies in Economics
9615, School of Economics, University of Kent.
- de Mello, Luiz R, Jr, 1999. "Foreign Direct Investment-Led Growth: Evidence from Time Series and Panel Data," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 51(1), pages 133-51, January.
- Manuel Agosin & Roberto Machado, 2005.
"Foreign Investment in Developing Countries: Does it Crowd in Domestic Investment?,"
Oxford Development Studies,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 33(2), pages 149-162.
- Manuel R. AGOSIN & Ricardo MAYER, 2000. "Foreign Investment In Developing Countries, Does It Crowd In Domestic Investment?," UNCTAD Discussion Papers 146, United Nations Conference on Trade and Development.
- Borensztein, E. & De Gregorio, J. & Lee, J-W., 1998.
"How does foreign direct investment affect economic growth?1,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 45(1), pages 115-135, June.
- Eduardo Borensztein & Jose De Gregorio & Jong-Wha Lee, 1995. "How Does Foreign Direct Investment Affect Economic Growth?," NBER Working Papers 5057, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Robert E. Lipsey, 2002. "Home and Host Country Effects of FDI," NBER Working Papers 9293, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Samih GÜVEN, 2001. "Sermaye Hareketlerinin Nedenleri, Etkileri Ve Türkiye Örneği," Iktisat Isletme ve Finans, Bilgesel Yayincilik, vol. 16(185), pages 79-98.
- Van Loo, Frances, 1977. "The Effect of Foreign Direct Investment on Investment in Canada," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 59(4), pages 474-81, November.
- LUO Changyuan, 2007. "FDI, domestic capital and economic growth: Evidence from panel data at China's provincial level," Frontiers of Economics in China, Higher Education Press, vol. 2(1), pages 92-113, March.
- Luiz de Mello, 1997. "Foreign direct investment in developing countries and growth: A selective survey," Journal of Development Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 34(1), pages 1-34.
- Engle, Robert F & Granger, Clive W J, 1987. "Co-integration and Error Correction: Representation, Estimation, and Testing," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 55(2), pages 251-76, March.
- Guncavdi, Oner & Bleaney, Michael & McKay, Andrew, 1998. "Financial liberalisation and private investment: evidence from Turkey," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 57(2), pages 443-455.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eaa:aeinde:v:11:y:2011:i:2_6. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (M. Carmen Guisan)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.