Buying Reputation as a Signal of Quality: Evidence from an Online Marketplace
Download full text from publisher
References listed on IDEAS
- Lingfang (Ivy) Li, 2010. "Reputation, Trust, and Rebates: How Online Auction Markets Can Improve Their Feedback Mechanisms," Journal of Economics & Management Strategy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 19(2), pages 303-331, June.
- Lafky, Jonathan, 2014. "Why do people rate? Theory and evidence on online ratings," Games and Economic Behavior, Elsevier, vol. 87(C), pages 554-570.
- Bar-Isaac, Heski & Tadelis, Steven, 2008. "Seller Reputation," Foundations and Trends(R) in Microeconomics, now publishers, vol. 4(4), pages 273-351, August.
- Dina Mayzlin & Yaniv Dover & Judith Chevalier, 2014. "Promotional Reviews: An Empirical Investigation of Online Review Manipulation," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 104(8), pages 2421-2455, August.
- Chris Nosko & Steven Tadelis, 2015. "The Limits of Reputation in Platform Markets: An Empirical Analysis and Field Experiment," NBER Working Papers 20830, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Kihlstrom, Richard E & Riordan, Michael H, 1984. "Advertising as a Signal," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 92(3), pages 427-450, June.
- Kosuke Uetake & Ken ONISHI & Kei Kawai, 2013. "Signaling in Online Credit Markets," 2013 Meeting Papers 516, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Matthew Backus & Tom Blake & Steven Tadelis, 2015. "Cheap Talk, Round Numbers, and the Economics of Negotiation," NBER Working Papers 21285, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Nelson, Philip, 1974. "Advertising as Information," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 82(4), pages 729-754, July/Aug..
- Berry, Steven & Levinsohn, James & Pakes, Ariel, 1995. "Automobile Prices in Market Equilibrium," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 63(4), pages 841-890, July.
- Fan, Ying & Ju, Jiandong & Xiao, Mo, 2016. "Reputation premium and reputation management: Evidence from the largest e-commerce platform in China," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 46(C), pages 63-76.
- Chrysanthos Dellarocas & Charles A. Wood, 2008. "The Sound of Silence in Online Feedback: Estimating Trading Risks in the Presence of Reporting Bias," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 54(3), pages 460-476, March.
- Daniel W. Elfenbein & Ray Fisman & Brian Mcmanus, 2012. "Charity as a Substitute for Reputation: Evidence from an Online Marketplace," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 79(4), pages 1441-1468.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Ruediger Bachmann & Gabriel Ehrlich & Dimitrije Ruzic, 2017. "Firms and Collective Reputation: The Volkswagen Emission Scandal as a Case Study," CESifo Working Paper Series 6805, CESifo Group Munich.
- repec:nbr:nberch:14008 is not listed on IDEAS
- Paul Belleflamme & Martin Peitz, 2018.
"Inside the Engine Room of Digital Platforms: Reviews, Ratings, and Recommendations,"
- Paul Belleflamme & Martin Peitz, 2018. "Inside the Engine Room of Digital Platforms: Reviews, Ratings, and Recommendations," AMSE Working Papers 1806, Aix-Marseille School of Economics, Marseille, France.
- Paul Belleflamme & Martin Peitz, 2018. "Inside the engine room of digital platforms: Reviews, ratings, and recommendations," CRC TR 224 Discussion Paper Series crctr224_004_2018, University of Bonn and University of Mannheim, Germany.
- Paul R. Milgrom & Steven Tadelis, 2018.
"How Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning Can Impact Market Design,"
NBER Chapters,in: The Economics of Artificial Intelligence: An Agenda
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Paul R. Milgrom & Steven Tadelis, 2018. "How Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning Can Impact Market Design," NBER Working Papers 24282, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
More about this item
- D47 - Microeconomics - - Market Structure, Pricing, and Design - - - Market Design
- D82 - Microeconomics - - Information, Knowledge, and Uncertainty - - - Asymmetric and Private Information; Mechanism Design
- L15 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance - - - Information and Product Quality
- L86 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Services - - - Information and Internet Services; Computer Software
NEP fieldsThis paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2016-09-18 (All new papers)
- NEP-COM-2016-09-18 (Industrial Competition)
- NEP-ICT-2016-09-18 (Information & Communication Technologies)
- NEP-IND-2016-09-18 (Industrial Organization)
- NEP-MKT-2016-09-18 (Marketing)
- NEP-SOG-2016-09-18 (Sociology of Economics)
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:nbr:nberwo:22584. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: () or (Joanne Lustig). General contact details of provider: http://edirc.repec.org/data/nberrus.html .