The Economics of China: Successes and Challenges
This paper is the first chapter in the Oxford Companion to the Economics of China (Oxford University Press, forthcoming). Rather than trying to summarize other contributors' views, we provide our own perspectives on the Economics of China--the past experience and the future prospects. Our reading of China's economic development over the past 35 years raises two major sets of issues, one of which is inward looking, and the other of which is outward looking. While Chinese aggregate development is impressive, it has raised the question of whether the growth is sustainable, and has led to a set of distributional issues and well-being concerns. We argue that these internal issues combine with those raised by China's rapid integration and ever growing presence in the international arena, to jointly frame the challenges faced by China in the next 35 years, as it approaches the 100th anniversary of the People's Republic in 2049.
|Date of creation:||Nov 2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.nber.org
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Lin, Justin Yifu, 1992. "Rural Reforms and Agricultural Growth in China," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 82(1), pages 34-51, March.
- Kanbur, Ravi & Zhang, Xiaobo, 2004.
"Fifty Years of Regional Inequality in China: A Journey through Central Planning, Reform, and Openness,"
Working Paper Series
UNU-WIDER Research Paper , World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Ravi Kanbur & Xiaobo Zhang, 2005. "Fifty Years of Regional Inequality in China: a Journey Through Central Planning, Reform, and Openness," Review of Development Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 9(1), pages 87-106, 02.
- Ravi Kanbur & Xiaobo Zhang, 2004. "Fifty Years of Regional Inequality in China: A Journey Through Central Planning, Reform and Openness," Working Papers 158, Institute for Social and Economic Change, Bangalore.
- Yingyi Qian & Chenggang Xu, 1993.
"Why China's economic reforms differ: the M-form hierarchy and entry/expansion of the non-state sector,"
The Economics of Transition,
The European Bank for Reconstruction and Development, vol. 1(2), pages 135-170, 06.
- Yingyi Qian & Chenggang Xu, 1993. "Why Chinas Economic Reforms Differ: The M-Form Hierarchy and Entry/Expansion of the Non-State Sector," CEP Discussion Papers dp0154, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Robert Dekle & Guillaume Vandenbroucke, 2006.
"A quantitative analysis of China’s structural transformation,"
Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco, issue Jun.
- Dekle, Robert & Vandenbroucke, Guillaume, 2012. "A quantitative analysis of China's structural transformation," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 36(1), pages 119-135.
- Robert Dekle & Guillaume Vandenbroucke, 2006. "A Quantitative Analysis of China’s Structural Transformation," IEPR Working Papers 06.51, Institute of Economic Policy Research (IEPR).
- Robert Dekle & Guillaume Vandenbroucke, 2006. "A quantitative analysis of China’s structural transformation," Working Paper Series 2006-37, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco.
- Qingyuan Du & Shang-Jin Wei, 2013.
"A Theory of the Competitive Saving Motive,"
NBER Working Papers
18911, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Zhang, Linxiu & Yi, Hongmei & Luo, Renfu & Liu, Changfang & Rozelle, Scott, 2012. "The Human Capital Roots of the Middle Income Trap: The Case of China," 2012 Conference, August 18-24, 2012, Foz do Iguacu, Brazil 131119, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Xiaoyan Lei & Wanchuan Lin, 2009. "The New Cooperative Medical Scheme in rural China: does more coverage mean more service and better health?," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 18(S2), pages S25-S46, July.
- Jin Yang & Zuhui Huang & Xiaobo Zhang & Thomas Reardon, 2013. "The Rapid Rise of Cross-Regional Agricultural Mechanization Services in China," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 95(5), pages 1245-1251.
- Shang-Jin Wei & Xiaobo Zhang, 2009.
"The Competitive Saving Motive: Evidence from Rising Sex Ratios and Savings Rates in China,"
NBER Working Papers
15093, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Shang-Jin Wei & Xiaobo Zhang, 2011. "The Competitive Saving Motive: Evidence from Rising Sex Ratios and Savings Rates in China," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 119(3), pages 511 - 564.
- Fan, Shenggen & Kanbur, Ravi & Zhang, Xiaobo, 2010. "China’s Regional Disparities: Experience and Policy," Working Papers 57041, Cornell University, Department of Applied Economics and Management.
- V N Balasubramanyam & X Fu, 2002.
"Township and village enterprises in China,"
539923, Lancaster University Management School, Economics Department.
- Jane Golley, 2007. "China's Western Development Strategy and Nature versus Nurture," Journal of Chinese Economic and Business Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 5(2), pages 115-129.
- Fang, Cheng & Zhang, Xiaobo & Fan, Shenggen, 2002. "Emergence of urban poverty and inequality in China: evidence from household survey," China Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 13(4), pages 430-443, December.
- Appleton, Simon & Song, Lina & Xia, Qingjie, 2008.
"Growing out of poverty: trends and patterns of urban poverty in China 1988–2002,"
8346, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised Apr 2008.
- Appleton, Simon & Song, Lina & Xia, Qingjie, 2010. "Growing out of Poverty: Trends and Patterns of Urban Poverty in China 1988-2002," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 38(5), pages 665-678, May.
- Appleton, Simon & Song, Lina & Xia, Qingjie, 2008. "Growing out of Poverty: Trends and Patterns of Urban Poverty in China 1988–2002," IZA Discussion Papers 3459, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Zhang, Xiaobo & Yang, Jin & Wang, Shenglin, 2011.
"China has reached the Lewis turning point,"
China Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 22(4), pages 542-554.
- Yifu, Justin & Wang, Yan, 2009.
"China's Integration with the World: Development as a Process of Learning and Industrial Upgrading,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
4799, The World Bank.
- Justin Yifu Lin & Yan Wang, 2012. "China'S Integration With The World: Development As A Process Of Learning And Industrial Upgrading," China Economic Policy Review (CEPR), World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd., vol. 1(01), pages 1250001-1-1.
- Yingyi Qian & Cheng-Gang Xu, 1993. "Why China's economic reforms differ: the m-form hierarchy and entry/expansion of the non-state sector," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 3755, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Shang-Jin Wei & Xiaobo Zhang, 2011. "Sex Ratios, Entrepreneurship, and Economic Growth in the People's Republic of China," NBER Working Papers 16800, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ju, Jiandong & Shi, Kang & Wei, Shang-Jin, 2013.
"Trade Reforms and Current Account Imbalances: When Does the General Equilibrium Effect Overturn a Partial Equilibrium Intuition?,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
9293, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Jiandong Ju & Kang Shi & Shang-Jin Wei, 2012. "Trade Reforms and Current Account Imbalances: When Does the General Equilibrium Effect Overturn a Partial Equilibrium Intuition?," NBER Working Papers 18653, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Mukherjee, Anit & Zhang, Xiaobo, 2007. "Rural Industrialization in China and India: Role of Policies and Institutions," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 35(10), pages 1621-1634, October.
- Justin Yifu Lin, 2012. "New Structural Economics : A Framework for Rethinking Development and Policy," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 2232.
- XING, Li & FAN, Shenggen & LUO, Xiaopeng & ZHang, Xiaobo, 2009. "Community poverty and inequality in western China: A tale of three villages in Guizhou Province," China Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 20(2), pages 338-349, June.
- Chen, Shiyi & Jefferson, Gary H. & Zhang, Jun, 2011. "Structural change, productivity growth and industrial transformation in China," China Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 22(1), pages 133-150, March.
- Xu, Chenggang & Zhang, Xiaobo, 2009. "The evolution of Chinese entrepreneurial firms: Township-village enterprises revisited," IFPRI discussion papers 854, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:nbr:nberwo:19648. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.