Offshore jurisdictions (including Cyprus), corruption money laundering and Russian round-trip investment
In this paper we analyze the link between corruption money laundering and round-trip investment via offshore jurisdictions utilizing Russian firm-level data. In particular we empirically explore location strategies of round-trip investors (namely, from Cyprus and British Virgin Islands) across Russia and compare them with the benchmark group of genuine foreign investors in Russia. We further study the determinants of the fraction of round-trip investment in total foreign investment in Russian regions. We find that round-trip investors tend to locate in more corrupt Russian regions than their genuine foreign counterparts and the fraction of round-trip investment is also significantly higher in corrupt regions. Taking into account that a large fraction of round-trip investment in Russia is concentrated in real estate and financial sectors, our results point to the conclusion that there is a strong link between round-trip investment and corruption money laundering.
|Date of creation:||May 2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||published as Offshore Foreign Direct Investment, Capital Round-Tripping, and Corruption: Empirical Analysis of Russian Regions Svetlana Ledyaeva1, Päivi Karhunen2, Riitta Kosonen2 andJohn Whalley3 Article first published online: 9 MAY 2015 Economic Geography Volume 91, Issue 3, pages 305–341, July 2015|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: National Bureau of Economic Research, 1050 Massachusetts Avenue Cambridge, MA 02138, U.S.A.|
Web page: http://www.nber.org
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Basu, Sandip & Phelps, Corey & Kotha, Suresh, 2011. "Towards understanding who makes corporate venture capital investments and why," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 26(2), pages 153-171, March.
- Hausman, Jerry & Hall, Bronwyn H & Griliches, Zvi, 1984.
"Econometric Models for Count Data with an Application to the Patents-R&D Relationship,"
Econometric Society, vol. 52(4), pages 909-38, July.
- Jerry A. Hausman & Bronwyn H. Hall & Zvi Griliches, 1984. "Econometric Models for Count Data with an Application to the Patents-R&D Relationship," NBER Technical Working Papers 0017, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Roberto Basile, 2002.
"Acquisition versus greenfield investment: the location of foreign manufacturers in Italy,"
ISAE Working Papers
27, ISTAT - Italian National Institute of Statistics - (Rome, ITALY).
- Roberto, Basile, 2004. "Acquisition versus greenfield investment: the location of foreign manufacturers in Italy," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 34(1), pages 3-25, January.
- Hegde, Deepak & Hicks, Diana, 2008. "The maturation of global corporate R&D: Evidence from the activity of U.S. foreign subsidiaries," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 37(3), pages 390-406, April.
- Alvaro Cuervo-Cazurra, 2006. "Who cares about corruption?," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan;Academy of International Business, vol. 37(6), pages 807-822, November.
- Bruce A. Blonigen & Ronald B. Davies & Glen R. Waddell & Helen T. Naughton, 2004.
"FDI in Space: Spatial Autoregressive Relationships in Foreign Direct Investment,"
NBER Working Papers
10939, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Blonigen, Bruce A. & Davies, Ronald B. & Waddell, Glen R. & Naughton, Helen T., 2007. "FDI in space: Spatial autoregressive relationships in foreign direct investment," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 51(5), pages 1303-1325, July.
- David L. Carr & James R. Markusen & Keith E. Maskus, 2001.
"Estimating the Knowledge-Capital Model of the Multinational Enterprise,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 91(3), pages 693-708, June.
- David L. Carr & James R. Markusen & Keith E. Maskus, 1998. "Estimating the Knowledge-Capital Model of the Multinational Enterprise," NBER Working Papers 6773, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Perez, M. Fabricio & Brada, Josef C. & Drabek, Zdenek, 2012. "Illicit money flows as motives for FDI," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 40(1), pages 108-126.
- Ichiro Iwasaki & Keiko Suganuma, 2005. "Regional Distribution of Foreign Direct Investment in Russia," Post-Communist Economies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 17(2), pages 153-172.
- Papke, Leslie E. & Wooldridge, Jeffrey M., 2008. "Panel data methods for fractional response variables with an application to test pass rates," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 145(1-2), pages 121-133, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:nbr:nberwo:19019. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.