Regional Distribution of Foreign Direct Investment in Russia
The objective of this article is to develop a model of the regional distribution of foreign direct investment (FDI) in Russia based on panel data for 1996-2003 taking into consideration implications shown in preceding studies on the geography of FDI in Russia. Through descriptive statistical and econometric analysis, the following conclusions were reached. First, there is a notable deviation of FDI in Russia among regions; however, a clear geographical pattern, similar to that in Central and Eastern European countries and China, can not be observed. Second, resource endowments, market factors and social development factors, to which the preceding studies attach importance as determinants for the regional selection of FDI, also proved to have high significance and explanatory power in the empirical analysis. In addition, it has been suggested that climate and favourable regionally discriminatory FDI measures are possible investment factors. Third, evidence suggesting that the Russian financial crisis in 1998 had a statistically significant influence on the decision-making process of foreign investors was not found in this analysis.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 17 (2005)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/CPCE20|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.tandfonline.com/pricing/journal/CPCE20|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Cheng, Leonard K. & Kwan, Yum K., 2000. "What are the determinants of the location of foreign direct investment? The Chinese experience," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 51(2), pages 379-400, August.
- Disdier, Anne-Celia & Mayer, Thierry, 2004.
"How different is Eastern Europe? Structure and determinants of location choices by French firms in Eastern and Western Europe,"
Journal of Comparative Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 32(2), pages 280-296, June.
- Anne-Celia Disdier & Thierry Mayer, 2003. "How Different is Eastern Europe? Structure and Determinants of Location Choices by French Firms in Eastern and Western Europe," Working Papers 2003-13, CEPII research center.
- Anne-Célia Disdier & Thierry Mayer, 2004. "How Different is Eastern Europe? Structure and determinants of location choices by French firms in Eastern and Western Europe," Université Paris1 Panthéon-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers) hal-00268769, HAL.
- Pietro Garibaldi & Nada Mora & Ratna Sahay & Jeromin Zettelmeyer, 2001. "What Moves Capital to Transition Economies?," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 48(4), pages 1-6.