The Crash of 1882, Counterparty Risk, and the Bailout of the Paris Bourse
Download full text from publisher
References listed on IDEAS
- Eugene White & Frederic Mishkin, 2002.
"U.S.Stock Market Crashes and Their Aftermath: Implications for Monetary Policy,"
Departmental Working Papers
200208, Rutgers University, Department of Economics.
- Frederic S. Mishkin & Eugene N. White, 2002. "U.S. Stock Market Crashes and Their Aftermath: Implications for Monetary Policy," NBER Working Papers 8992, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Donald Walker, 2001. "A factual account of the functioning of the nineteenth-century Paris Bourse," The European Journal of the History of Economic Thought, Taylor & Francis Journals, pages 186-207.
- Bernanke, Ben S, 1990. "Clearing and Settlement during the Crash," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 3(1), pages 133-151.
- Randall S. Kroszner, 2006. "Central counterparty clearing: history, innovation, and regulation," Economic Perspectives, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago, issue Q IV, pages 37-41.
- Pirrong, S.C., 1997. "A Positive Theory of Financial Exchange Organization with Normative Implications for Financial Market Regulation," Washington University 97-06, Business, Law and Economics Center, John M. Olin School of Business, Washington University.
- Neal, Larry & Davis, Lance, 2006. "The evolution of the structure and performance of the London Stock Exchange in the first global financial market, 1812 1914," European Review of Economic History, Cambridge University Press, vol. 10(03), pages 279-300, December.
- Robert A. Jarrow & Fan Yu, 2008.
"Counterparty Risk and the Pricing of Defaultable Securities,"
World Scientific Book Chapters,in: Financial Derivatives Pricing Selected Works of Robert Jarrow, chapter 20, pages 481-515
World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd..
- Robert A. Jarrow, 2001. "Counterparty Risk and the Pricing of Defaultable Securities," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 56(5), pages 1765-1799, October.
- Randall S. Kroszner, 1999. "Can the Financial Markets Privately Regulate Risk? The Development of Derivatives Clearing Houses and Recent Over-the Counter Innovations," CRSP working papers 493, Center for Research in Security Prices, Graduate School of Business, University of Chicago.
- Randall Kroszner, 2000. "Lessons from Financial Crises: The Role of Clearinghouses," Journal of Financial Services Research, Springer;Western Finance Association, vol. 18(2), pages 157-171, December.
- James T. Moser, 1998. "Contracting innovations and the evolution of clearing and settlement methods at futures exchanges," Working Paper Series WP-98-26, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Markus K. Brunnermeier & Isabel Schnabel, 2014.
"Bubbles and Central Banks: Historical Perspectives,"
1411, Gutenberg School of Management and Economics, Johannes Gutenberg-Universität Mainz, revised 31 Oct 2014.
- Brunnermeier, Markus K & Schnabel, Isabel, 2015. "Bubbles and Central Banks: Historical Perspectives," CEPR Discussion Papers 10528, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- RaphaÃ«l Hekimian, 2017. "The French banking sector during the interwar: What lessons can be drawn from the stock market?," EconomiX Working Papers 2017-3, University of Paris Nanterre, EconomiX.
- Hautcoeur, Pierre-Cyrille & Riva, Angelo & White, Eugene N., 2014.
"Floating a “lifeboat”: The Banque de France and the crisis of 1889,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, pages 104-119.
- Eugene White & Pierre-Cyrille Hautcoeur & Angelo Riva, 2014. "Floating A “Lifeboat”: The Banque De France And The Crisis Of 1889," Departmental Working Papers 201405, Rutgers University, Department of Economics.
- Pierre-Cyrille Hautcoeur & Angelo Riva & Eugene N. White, 2014. "Floating a "lifeboat": The Banque de France and the crisis of 1889," PSE - Labex "OSE-Ouvrir la Science Economique" halshs-01053389, HAL.
- Pierre-Cyrille Hautcoeur & Angelo Riva & Eugene N. White, 2014. "Floating a "Lifeboat": The Banque de France and the Crisis of 1889," NBER Working Papers 20083, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Calomiris, Charles W. & Flandreau, Marc & Laeven, Luc, 2016.
"Political foundations of the lender of last resort: A global historical narrative,"
Journal of Financial Intermediation,
Elsevier, vol. 28(C), pages 48-65.
- Calomiris, Charles & Flandreau, Marc & Laeven, Luc, 2016. "Political Foundations of the Lender of Last Resort: A Global Historical Narrative," CEPR Discussion Papers 11448, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- G. Bazot & M. D. Bordo & E. Monnet, 2014.
"The Price of Stability. The balance sheet policy of the Banque de France and the Gold Standard (1880-1914),"
510, Banque de France.
- Guillaume Bazot & Michael D. Bordo & Eric Monnet, 2014. "The Price of Stability: The balance sheet policy of the Banque de France and the Gold Standard (1880-1914)," NBER Working Papers 20554, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Riva, Angelo & White, Eugene N., 2011. "Danger on the exchange: How counterparty risk was managed on the Paris exchange in the nineteenth century," Explorations in Economic History, Elsevier, vol. 48(4), pages 478-493.
- Frederic S. Mishkin & Eugene N. White, 2014.
"Unprecedented Actions: The Federal Reserve’s Response to the Global Financial Crisis in Historical Perspective,"
NBER Working Papers
20737, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Mishkin, Frederic S. & White, Eugene, 2014. "Unprecedented actions: the Federal Reserve’s response to the global financial crisis in historical perspective," Globalization and Monetary Policy Institute Working Paper 209, Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas.
- Bazot, Guillaume & Bordo, Michael D. & Monnet, Eric, 2016. "International shocks and the balance sheet of the Bank of France under the classical gold standard," Explorations in Economic History, Elsevier, vol. 62(C), pages 87-107.
More about this item
- E58 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Monetary Policy, Central Banking, and the Supply of Money and Credit - - - Central Banks and Their Policies
- G18 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - Government Policy and Regulation
- N23 - Economic History - - Financial Markets and Institutions - - - Europe: Pre-1913
NEP fieldsThis paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2007-03-03 (All new papers)
- NEP-FMK-2007-03-03 (Financial Markets)
- NEP-HIS-2007-03-03 (Business, Economic & Financial History)
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:nbr:nberwo:12933. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (). General contact details of provider: http://edirc.repec.org/data/nberrus.html .