Poland on the road to the euro: How serious is the risk of boom-bust cycles after the euro adoption? An empirical analysis
The goal of this paper is, firstly, to determine which structural characteristics of an economy make it more (or less) prone to macroeconomic booms and busts and, secondly, to empirically assess the risk of a boom-bust cycle in Poland after the euro adoption. We start from identifying booms and busts in private consumption and investment in fourteen “old” EU member states and then we seek to explain the identified boom and bust series using panel probit and pooled probit models. We then use the estimated equations to assess the probability of booms and busts in Poland over the period 2004 to 2009. Our results suggest that credit developments have been the most important driving force of booms and busts in EU-14. The relevance of international capital flows as a boom-bust transmission channel and of the cyclical heterogeneity of countries which undergo a process of monetary integration is also confirmed. We also find evidence that the fiscal channel boils down to a crowding-out effect: a reduction in the general government expenditure “makes room” for a boom in the private expenditure, and the reverse holds for busts. In turn, our results for Poland are inconclusive, which probably means that the models estimated for EU-14 are not adequate to predict the probabilities of booms and busts in this country.
|Date of creation:||2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 00-919 Warszawa ul. Świętokrzyska 11/21|
Phone: (0-22) 653 10 00
Fax: (0-22) 620 85 18
Web page: http://www.nbp.pl/Homen.aspx?f=/en/publikacje/materialy_i_studia/informacja_en.html
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hausman, Jerry A, 1978.
"Specification Tests in Econometrics,"
Econometric Society, vol. 46(6), pages 1251-71, November.
- Ben S. Bernanke & Mark Gertler, 1995.
"Inside the Black Box: The Credit Channel of Monetary Policy Transmission,"
Journal of Economic Perspectives,
American Economic Association, vol. 9(4), pages 27-48, Fall.
- Bernanke, Ben & Gertler, Mark, 1995. "Inside the Black Box: The Credit Channel of Monetary Policy Transmission," Working Papers 95-15, C.V. Starr Center for Applied Economics, New York University.
- Ben S. Bernanke & Mark Gertler, 1995. "Inside the Black Box: The Credit Channel of Monetary Policy Transmission," NBER Working Papers 5146, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Gourinchas, Pierre-Olivier & Landerretche, Oscar & Valdés, Rodrigo, 2001.
"Lending Booms: Latin America and the World,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
2811, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Pierre-Olivier Gourinchas & Rodrigo Valdes & Oscar Landerretche, 2001. "Lending Booms: Latin America and the World," ECONOMIA JOURNAL OF THE LATIN AMERICAN AND CARIBBEAN ECONOMIC ASSOCIATION, ECONOMIA JOURNAL OF THE LATIN AMERICAN AND CARIBBEAN ECONOMIC ASSOCIATION, vol. 0(Spring 20), pages 47-100, January.
- Jan Kakes & Cees Ullersma, 2003. "Financial stability in low-inflation environments," BIS Papers chapters, in: Bank for International Settlements (ed.), Monetary policy in a changing environment, volume 19, pages 355-367 Bank for International Settlements.
- Martin, Reiner & Schuknecht, Ludger & Vansteenkiste, Isabel, 2007. "The role of the exchange rate for adjustment in boom and bust episodes," Working Paper Series 0813, European Central Bank.
- Brzoza-Brzezina, Michal, 2005. "Lending booms in the new EU Member States: will euro adoption matter?," Working Paper Series 0543, European Central Bank.
- Cottarelli, Carlo & Dell'Ariccia, Giovanni & Vladkova-Hollar, Ivanna, 2005.
"Early birds, late risers, and sleeping beauties: Bank credit growth to the private sector in Central and Eastern Europe and in the Balkans,"
Journal of Banking & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 29(1), pages 83-104, January.
- Ivanna Vladkova Hollar & Giovanni Dell'Ariccia & Carlo Cottarelli, 2003. "Early Birds, Late Risers, and Sleeping Beauties; Bank Credit Growth to the Private Sector in Central and Eastern Europe and in the Balkans," IMF Working Papers 03/213, International Monetary Fund.
- Luc Laeven & Fabian Valencia, 2010. "Resolution of Banking Crises; The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly," IMF Working Papers 10/146, International Monetary Fund.
- Filipa Sá & Tomasz Wieladek, 2011.
"Monetary policy, capital inflows, and the housing boom,"
Globalization and Monetary Policy Institute Working Paper
80, Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas.
- Sa, Filipa & Wieladek, Tomasz, 2010. "Monetary policy, capital inflows and the housing boom," Bank of England working papers 405, Bank of England.
- Sá, F. & Wieladek, T., 2011. "Monetary Policy, Capital Inflows, and the Housing Boom," Cambridge Working Papers in Economics 1141, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Don Harding & Adrian Pagan, 2000.
"Disecting the Cycle: A Methodological Investigation,"
Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers
1164, Econometric Society.
- Harding, Don & Pagan, Adrian, 2002. "Dissecting the cycle: a methodological investigation," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 49(2), pages 365-381, March.
- Michał Brzoza-Brzezina & Pascal Jacquinot & Marcin Kolasa, 2011.
"Can we prevent boom-bust cycles during euro area accession?,"
National Bank of Poland Working Papers
79, National Bank of Poland, Economic Institute.
- Michał Brzoza-Brzezina & Pascal Jacquinot & Marcin Kolasa, 2014. "Can We Prevent Boom-Bust Cycles During Euro Area Accession?," Open Economies Review, Springer, vol. 25(1), pages 35-69, February.
- Brzoza-Brzezina, Michał & Jacquinot, Pascal & Kolasa, Marcin, 2010. "Can we prevent boom-bust cycles during euro area accession?," Working Paper Series 1280, European Central Bank.
- Burnside, Craig & Eichenbaum, Martin & Rebelo, Sérgio, 2011.
"Understanding Booms and Busts in Housing Markets,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
8232, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Craig Burnside & Martin Eichenbaum & Sergio Rebelo, 2012. "Understanding booms and busts in housing markets," FRB Atlanta CQER Working Paper 2012-02, Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta.
- Craig Burnside & Martin Eichenbaum & Sergio Rebelo, 2011. "Understanding Booms and Busts in Housing Markets," NBER Working Papers 16734, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Sergio Rebelo & Martin Eichenbaum & Craig Burnside, 2012. "Understanding Booms and Busts in Housing Markets," 2012 Meeting Papers 114, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Barry Eichengreen & Katharina Steiner, 2008.
"Is Poland at Risk of a Boom-and-Bust Cycle in the Run-Up to Euro Adoption?,"
NBER Working Papers
14438, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Eichengreen, Barry & Steiner, Katharina, 2008. "Is Poland at Risk of a Boom-and-Bust Cycle in the Run-Up to Euro Adoption?," CEPR Discussion Papers 7027, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Im, Kyung So & Pesaran, M. Hashem & Shin, Yongcheol, 2003.
"Testing for unit roots in heterogeneous panels,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 115(1), pages 53-74, July.
- Tom Doan, . "IPSHIN: RATS procedure to implement Im, Pesaran and Shin panel unit root test," Statistical Software Components RTS00098, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Pasaran, M.H. & Im, K.S. & Shin, Y., 1995. "Testing for Unit Roots in Heterogeneous Panels," Cambridge Working Papers in Economics 9526, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Brixiova, Zuzana & Vartia, Laura & Wörgötter, Andreas, 2010. "Capital flows and the boom-bust cycle: The case of Estonia," Economic Systems, Elsevier, vol. 34(1), pages 55-72, March.
- International Monetary Fund, 2005. "Adopting the Euro in Central Europe; Challenges of the Next Step in European Integration," IMF Occasional Papers 234, International Monetary Fund.
- Michael Brei & Almira Buzaushina, 2015.
"International Financial Shocks in Emerging Markets,"
EconomiX Working Papers
2015-11, University of Paris West - Nanterre la Défense, EconomiX.
- Brei, Michael & Buzaushina, Almira, 2015. "International financial shocks in emerging markets," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 58(C), pages 51-74.
- Agnello, Luca & Schuknecht, Ludger, 2011.
"Booms and busts in housing markets: Determinants and implications,"
Journal of Housing Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 20(3), pages 171-190, September.
- Agnello, Luca & Schuknecht, Ludger, 2009. "Booms and busts in housing markets: determinants and implications," Working Paper Series 1071, European Central Bank.
- Michael D. Bordo & Olivier Jeanne, 2002.
"Boom-Busts in Asset Prices, Economic Instability, and Monetary Policy,"
NBER Working Papers
8966, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Bordo, Michael D & Jeanne, Olivier, 2002. "Boom-Busts in Asset Prices, Economic Instability and Monetary Policy," CEPR Discussion Papers 3398, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Corsetti, Giancarlo & Devereux, Michael P. & Guiso, Luigi & Hassler, John & Saint-Paul, Gilles & Sinn, Hans-Werner & Sturm, Jan-Egbert & Vives, Xavier, . "EEAG Report on the European Economy 2010," Monographs in Economics, University of Munich, Department of Economics, number 20108, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:nbp:nbpmis:103. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ewa Szymecka)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.