Employment protection legislation and the IT-sector in OECD countries
This paper explores the relationship between employment protection legislation (EPL) and the share of employment in the IT-sector. Evidence from several OECD countries suggests that the importance of the IT-sector is smaller in economies with high levels of EPL than in economies with low levels. This shows up in the amount of resources dedicated to research on IT as well as in the share of employment in the sector. A simple model is provided to explain these facts. EPL affects both labor supply and labor demand in the same way resulting in lower employment equilibrium levels.
|Date of creation:||2001|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||Published in|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: 34 948 169340
Fax: 34 948 169 721
Web page: http://www.econ.unavarra.es
|Order Information:|| Postal: Papers are not sent in a centralized mode. You can download them with ftp, or contact the authors.|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Dunne, T. & Roberts, M.J. & Samuelson, L., 1988.
"The Growth And Failure Of U.S. Manufacturing Plants,"
1-87-5, Pennsylvania State - Department of Economics.
- Gilles Saint-Paul, 1996.
"Employment Protection, International Specialization, and innovation,"
IMF Working Papers
96/16, International Monetary Fund.
- Saint-Paul, Gilles, 2002. "Employment protection, international specialization, and innovation," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 46(2), pages 375-395, February.
- Gilles Saint Paul, 1996. "Employment protection, international specialization and innovation," Economics Working Papers 256, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra, revised May 1997.
- Saint-Paul, Gilles, 1996. "Employment Protection, International Specialization, and Innovation," CEPR Discussion Papers 1338, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Saint-Paul, G., 1995. "Employment Protection, International Specialization, and Innovation," DELTA Working Papers 95-31, DELTA (Ecole normale supérieure).
- Bentolila, Samuel & Bertola, Giuseppe, 1990. "Firing Costs and Labour Demand: How Bad Is Eurosclerosis?," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 57(3), pages 381-402, July.
- repec:tpr:qjecon:v:107:y:1992:i:4:p:1371-91 is not listed on IDEAS
- José Enrique Galdón Sánchez & Maia Güell, 2001.
"Dismissal conflicts and unemployment,"
Documentos de Trabajo - Lan Gaiak Departamento de Economía - Universidad Pública de Navarra
0105, Departamento de Economía - Universidad Pública de Navarra.
- repec:tpr:qjecon:v:105:y:1990:i:3:p:699-726 is not listed on IDEAS
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:nav:ecupna:0115. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Javier Puértolas)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.