Entrepreneurial Orientation and Network Ties: Innovative Performance of SMEs in an Emerging-Economy Manufacturing Cluster
This study investigates the role of intra-cluster ties, extra-cluster ties, and entrepreneurial orientation in shaping firms’ innovative performance. We conduct our analysis on a primary data set of 120 SMEs in the Cibaduyut footwear-manufacturing cluster, Indonesia. We find that extra-cluster ties mediate the relationship between proactiveness and innovative performance. A combination of high extra-cluster ties and risk taking exert a positive impact on innovative performance. Surprisingly, we find that risk taking negatively moderates the influence of intra-cluster ties on innovative performance. Overall, the findings of this study point to the synergistic effects of entrepreneurial orientation and extra-cluster ties on innovative performance.
|Date of creation:||Aug 2013|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: P.O. Box 1203, 6201 BE Maastricht|
Phone: +31 43 387 08 08
Fax: +31 43 387 08 00
Web page: http://research.msm.nl
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Walter, Achim & Auer, Michael & Ritter, Thomas, 2006. "The impact of network capabilities and entrepreneurial orientation on university spin-off performance," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 21(4), pages 541-567, July.
- Oerlemans, L.A.G. & Meeus, M.T.H. & Boekema, F.W.M., 2001. "Firm clustering and innovation," Other publications TiSEM c4398688-1710-449a-83e7-e, Tilburg University, School of Economics and Management.
- Uwe Cantner & Holger Graf, 2008. "Interaction Structures in Local Innovation Systems," Jena Economic Research Papers 2008-040, Friedrich-Schiller-University Jena.
- Paul Almeida & Bruce Kogut, 1999. "Localization of Knowledge and the Mobility of Engineers in Regional Networks," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 45(7), pages 905-917, July.
- Michael E. Porter, 2000. "Location, Competition, and Economic Development: Local Clusters in a Global Economy," Economic Development Quarterly, , vol. 14(1), pages 15-34, February.
- Marjolein C. J. Caniëls & Henny A. Romijn, 2005.
"What drives innovativeness in industrial clusters? Transcending the debate,"
Cambridge Journal of Economics,
Oxford University Press, vol. 29(4), pages 497-515, July.
- Caniels, M.C.J. & Romijn, H.A., 2003. "What drives innovativeness in industrial clusters? Transcending the debate," Working Papers 03.04, Eindhoven Center for Innovation Studies.
- Margarida Fontes, 2005. "Distant networking: The knowledge acquisition strategies of 'out-cluster' biotechnology firms," European Planning Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 13(6), pages 899-920, September.
- Robertson, Paul L. & Langlois, Richard N., 1995. "Innovation, networks, and vertical integration," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 24(4), pages 543-562, July.
- Paul L. Robertson & Richard N. Langlois, 1994. "Innovation, Networks, and Vertical Integration," Industrial Organization 9406006, EconWPA.
- Larrañeta, Bárbara & Zahra, Shaker A. & González, José Luis Galán, 2012. "Enriching strategic variety in new ventures through external knowledge," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 27(4), pages 401-413.
- Romijn, Henny & Albaladejo, Manuel, 2002. "Determinants of innovation capability in small electronics and software firms in southeast England," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 31(7), pages 1053-1067, September.
- Jojo Jacob & Adam Szirmai, 2007. "International Knowledge Spillovers to Developing Countries: The Case of Indonesia," Review of Development Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 11(3), pages 550-565, 08.
- Haifeng Qian & Zoltán J. Ács, 2015. "An absorptive capacity theory of knowledge spillover entrepreneurship," Chapters,in: Global Entrepreneurship, Institutions and Incentives, chapter 9, pages 161-173 Edward Elgar Publishing.
- Haifeng Qian & Zoltan Acs, 2013. "An absorptive capacity theory of knowledge spillover entrepreneurship," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 40(2), pages 185-197, February.
- McCann, Brian T. & Folta, Timothy B., 2011. "Performance differentials within geographic clusters," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 26(1), pages 104-123, January.
- Danny Miller, 1983. "The Correlates of Entrepreneurship in Three Types of Firms," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 29(7), pages 770-791, July.
- Marjolein Caniëls & Henny Romijn, 2003. "SME Clusters, Acquisition of Technological Capabilities and Development: Concepts, Practice and Policy Lessons," Journal of Industry, Competition and Trade, Springer, vol. 3(3), pages 187-210, September.
- Tödtling, Franz & Lehner, Patrick & Kaufmann, Alexander, 2008. "Do different types of innovation rely on specific kinds of knowledge interactions?," SRE-Discussion Papers 306, WU Vienna University of Economics and Business.
- Franz Tödtling & Patrick Lehner & Alexander Kaufmann, 2008. "Do Different Types of Innovation Rely on Specific Kinds of Knowledge Interactions?," SRE-Disc sre-disc-2008_01, Institute for Multilevel Governance and Development, Department of Socioeconomics, Vienna University of Economics and Business.
- Gordon Walker & Bruce Kogut & Weijian Shan, 1997. "Social Capital, Structural Holes and the Formation of an Industry Network," Organization Science, INFORMS, vol. 8(2), pages 109-125, April.
- Fariborz Damanpour, 1996. "Organizational Complexity and Innovation: Developing and Testing Multiple Contingency Models," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 42(5), pages 693-716, May.
- Ron Boschma, 2005. "Proximity and Innovation: A Critical Assessment," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 39(1), pages 61-74.
- Lipparini, Andrea & Sobrero, Maurizio, 1994. "The glue and the pieces: Entrepreneurship and innovation in small-firm networks," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 9(2), pages 125-140, March.
- John Schoales, 2006. "Alpha Clusters: Creative Innovation in Local Economies," Economic Development Quarterly, , vol. 20(2), pages 162-177, May.
- Gilbert, Brett Anitra & McDougall, Patricia P. & Audretsch, David B., 2008. "Clusters, knowledge spillovers and new venture performance: An empirical examination," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 23(4), pages 405-422, July.
- Roberta Capello, 1999. "Spatial Transfer of Knowledge in High Technology Milieux: Learning Versus Collective Learning Processes," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 33(4), pages 353-365.
- Pérez-Luño, Ana & Wiklund, Johan & Cabrera, Ramón Valle, 2011. "The dual nature of innovative activity: How entrepreneurial orientation influences innovation generation and adoption," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 26(5), pages 555-571, September. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:msm:wpaper:2013/28. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Maud de By)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.