Sorting on Skills and Preferences: Tinbergen Meets Sattinger
This paper proposes an assignment model where sorting occurs on at- tributes that are simultaneously a skill (Sattinger, 1979) and a preference (Tinbergen, 1956). The key feature of this model is that the wage func- tion admits both jobs and workers attributes as arguments. Since this function is generically nonlinear (Ekeland et al., 2004), even under positive assortative matching, the correlation between the contribution of workers' attributes to wages and that of jobs attributes can vary from -1 to 1 de- pending on the parameters of the model, i.e. preference, technology and the distribution of both sets of attributes. The paper discusses a closed form solution of the model, presents conditions for the nonparametric identi cation of compensating wage di¤erentials and nonadditive marginal utility functions using observations from a single hedonic market and proposes a nonparametric estimator.
|Date of creation:||May 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +31 43 387 08 08
Fax: +31 43 387 08 00
Web page: http://research.msm.nl
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jean-Marc Robin & Costas Meghir & Jeremy Lise, 2008.
"Matching, Sorting and Wages,"
2008 Meeting Papers
273, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Ivar Ekeland & James Heckman & Lars Nesheim, 2002.
"Identifying hedonic models,"
CeMMAP working papers
CWP06/02, Centre for Microdata Methods and Practice, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Amine Ouazad, 2008. "A2REG: Stata module to estimate models with two fixed effects," Statistical Software Components S456942, Boston College Department of Economics.
- James J. Heckman & Rosa L. Matzkin & Lars Nesheim, 2010.
"Nonparametric Identification and Estimation of Nonadditive Hedonic Models,"
Econometric Society, vol. 78(5), pages 1569-1591, 09.
- James J. Heckman & Rosa L. Matzkin & Lars Nesheim, 2009. "Nonparametric Identification and Estimation of Nonadditive Hedonic Models," NBER Working Papers 15226, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Heckman, James J. & Matzkin, Rosa & Nesheim, Lars, 2009. "Nonparametric Identification and Estimation of Nonadditive Hedonic Models," IZA Discussion Papers 4329, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:msm:wpaper:2012/13. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Maud de By)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.