Are Casual Jobs a Freeway to Permanent Employment?
This study examines whether casual work can shorten the time taken to move from unemployment into permanent work using longitudinal data from the Survey of Employment and Unemployment Patterns. The analysis is based on comparison of the transition rate from unemployment to permanent work with the combined transition rates of unemployment to casual work and casual work to permanent work. Hazard rate models are used to estimate each of the transition rates. The models include observed and unobserved heterogeneity and allow for correlation between the transition rates. The evidence presented suggests that accepting casual work is beneficial for some unemployed people in their search for permanent work.
|Date of creation:||Jul 2000|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: PO Box 11E, Monash University, Victoria 3800, Australia|
Phone: +61 3 99052489
Fax: +61 3 99055474
Web page: http://business.monash.edu/econometrics-and-business-statistics
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Web: http://business.monash.edu/econometrics-and-business-statistics Email: |
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Brooks, Clive & Volker, Paul, 1986. "The Probability of Leaving Unemployment: The Influence of Duration, Destination and Demographics," The Economic Record, The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 62(178), pages 296-309, September.
- Andrew Weiss, 1995. "Human Capital vs. Signalling Explanations of Wages," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 9(4), pages 133-154, Fall.
- Lubyova, Martina & van Ours, Jan C., 1999.
"Effects of Active Labor Market Programs on the Transition Rate from Unemployment into Regular Jobs in the Slovak Republic,"
Journal of Comparative Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 27(1), pages 90-112, March.
- Lubyova, M. & van Ours, J.C., 1998. "Effects of Active Labor Market Programs on the Transition Rate from Unemployment into Regular Jobs in the Slovak Republic," Discussion Paper 1998-127, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Martina Lubyova & Jan C. van Ours, 1998. "Effects of Active Labor Market Programs on the Transition Rate from Unemployment into Regular Jobs in the Slovak Republic," William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series 213, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Dale T. Mortensen, 1977.
"Unemployment insurance and job search decisions,"
Industrial and Labor Relations Review,
ILR Review, Cornell University, ILR School, vol. 30(4), pages 505-517, July.
- Gerard J. van den Berg & Anders Holm & Jan C. van Ours, 1999.
"Do Stepping Stone Jobs exist? Early Career Paths in the Medical Profession,"
Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers
99-041/3, Tinbergen Institute.
- Gerard J. van den Berg & Anders Holm & Jan C. van Ours, 2002. "Do stepping-stone jobs exist? Early career paths in the medical profession," Journal of Population Economics, Springer;European Society for Population Economics, vol. 15(4), pages 647-665.
- Paul Bingley & Ian Walker, 1996.
"Household Unemployment and the Labour Supply of Married Women,"
Keele Department of Economics Discussion Papers (1995-2001)
96/20, Department of Economics, Keele University.
- Bingley, Paul & Walker, Ian, 2001. "Household Unemployment and the Labor Supply of Married Women," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 68(270), pages 157-85, May.
- Paul Bingley & Ian Walker, 1997. "Household unemployment and the labour supply of married women," IFS Working Papers W97/01, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Gaston, Noel & Timcke, David, 1999. "Do Casual Workers Find Permanent Full-Time Employment? Evidence from the Australian Youth Survey," The Economic Record, The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 75(231), pages 333-47, December.
- Chapman, B.J. & Smith, P.N., 1993. "Predicting the Long-Term Unemployed: A primer for the Commonwealth Employment Service," CEPR Discussion Papers 285, Centre for Economic Policy Research, Research School of Economics, Australian National University.
- Julie Hotchkiss, 1999. "The effect of transitional employment on search duration: A selectivity approach," Atlantic Economic Journal, International Atlantic Economic Society, vol. 27(1), pages 38-52, March.
- George J. Stigler, 1961. "The Economics of Information," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 69, pages 213.
- Dex, Shirley, et al, 1995. "Cross-National Comparisons of the Labour Force Participation of Women Married to Unemployed Men," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 47(4), pages 611-35, October.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:msh:ebswps:2000-8. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dr Xibin Zhang)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.