Endogenous Cycles and Liquidity Risk
Using an overlapping generations model with liquidity risk, we show that equilibrium aggregate investment and asset prices are cyclical. In an economy with neither a beginning nor an ending date, a stationary equilibrium can be obtained. In a startable equilibrium however, economic activity is highly cyclical. The first generations and consecutive odd ones invest most of their wealth in new long lived technologies, while even generations flock to seasoned claims that are sold by liquidity challenged older cohorts. We find that this liquidity driven cyclicality is driven by the optimal length of the investment horizon, not by agent live span
|Date of creation:||02 Feb 2007|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.essex.ac.uk/afm/mmf/index.html|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bhattacharya, Sudipto & Padilla, A Jorge, 1996.
"Dynamic Banking: A Reconsideration,"
Review of Financial Studies,
Society for Financial Studies, vol. 9(3), pages 1003-1032.
- Bhattacharya, S. & Padilla, A.J., 1994. "Dynamic Banking: A Reconsideration," Papers 9413, Centro de Estudios Monetarios Y Financieros-.
- Bhattacharya, S. & Padilla, A. Jorge, 1994. "Dynamic Banking : A Reconsideration," Discussion Papers (IRES - Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales) 1994031, Université catholique de Louvain, Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales (IRES).
- Paul A. Samuelson, 1958. "An Exact Consumption-Loan Model of Interest with or without the Social Contrivance of Money," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 66, pages 467-467.
- Douglas W. Diamond & Philip H. Dybvig, 2000. "Bank runs, deposit insurance, and liquidity," Quarterly Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis, issue Win, pages 14-23.
- Diamond, Douglas W & Dybvig, Philip H, 1983. "Bank Runs, Deposit Insurance, and Liquidity," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 91(3), pages 401-419, June.
- Sudipto Bhattacharya & Paolo Fulghieri & Riccardo Rovelli, 1998. "Financial Intermediation Versus Stock Markets in a Dynamic Intertemporal Model," Journal of Institutional and Theoretical Economics (JITE), Mohr Siebeck, Tübingen, vol. 154(1), pages 291-291, March.
- S. Bhattacharya & P. Fulghieri & R. Rovelli, 1997. "Financial Intermediation Versus Stock Markets in a Dynamic Intertemporal Model," Working Papers 300, Dipartimento Scienze Economiche, Universita' di Bologna.
- Fulghieri, Paolo & Rovelli, Riccardo, 1998. "Capital markets, financial intermediaries, and liquidity supply," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 22(9), pages 1157-1180, September.
- Qi, Jianping, 1994. "Bank Liquidity and Stability in an Overlapping Generations Model," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 7(2), pages 389-417. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:mmf:mmfc06:149. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christopher F. Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.