Financial markets, intermediaries, and intertemporal smoothing
In an overlapping generations economy with (incomplete) financial markets but no intermediaries, there is underinvestment in safe assets. In an economy with intermediaries and no financial markets, accumulating reserves of save assets allows returns to be smoothed, nondiversifiable risk to be eliminated, and an ex ante Pareto improvement compared to the allocation in the market equilibrium to be achieved. In a mixed financial system, however, competition from financial markets constrains intermediaries so that they perform no better than markets alone. Copyright 1997 by the University of Chicago.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
To our knowledge, this item is not available for
download. To find whether it is available, there are three
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
|Date of creation:||1995|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.philadelphiafed.org/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Web: http://www.phil.frb.org/econ/wps/index.html Email: |
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Qi, Jianping, 1994. "Bank Liquidity and Stability in an Overlapping Generations Model," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 7(2), pages 389-417.
- Bhattacharya, Sudipto & Padilla, A Jorge, 1996.
"Dynamic Banking: A Reconsideration,"
Review of Financial Studies,
Society for Financial Studies, vol. 9(3), pages 1003-32.
- Bhattacharya, S. & Padilla, A. Jorge, 1994. "Dynamic Banking : A Reconsideration," Discussion Papers (IRES - Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales) 1994031, Université catholique de Louvain, Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales (IRES).
- Bhattacharya, S. & Padilla, A.J., 1994. "Dynamic Banking: A Reconsideration," Papers 9413, Centro de Estudios Monetarios Y Financieros-.
- Gordon, Roger H. & Varian, Hal R., 1988.
"Intergenerational risk sharing,"
Journal of Public Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 37(2), pages 185-202, November.
- Allen, F. & Gale, D., 1991.
"Limited Market Participation and Volatility of Asset Prices,"
Weiss Center Working Papers
2-92, Wharton School - Weiss Center for International Financial Research.
- Allen, Franklin & Gale, Douglas, 1994. "Limited Market Participation and Volatility of Asset Prices," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 84(4), pages 933-55, September.
- Gale, D. & Allen, F., 1991. "Limited Market Participation and Volatility of Asset Prices," Weiss Center Working Papers 14-91, Wharton School - Weiss Center for International Financial Research.
- Altonji, Joseph G & Hayashi, Fumio & Kotlikoff, Laurence J, 1992.
"Is the Extended Family Altruistically Linked? Direct Tests Using Micro Data,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 82(5), pages 1177-98, December.
- Joseph G. Altonji & Fumio Hayashi & Laurence J. Kotlikoff, 1989. "Is the Extended Family Altruistically Linked? Direct Tests Using Micro Data," NBER Working Papers 3046, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Hayashi, Fumio & Altonji, Joseph & Kotlikoff, Laurence, 1996. "Risk-Sharing between and within Families," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 64(2), pages 261-94, March.
- Franklin Allen & Douglas Gale, 1994.
"A welfare comparison of intermediaries and financial markets in Germany and the U.S,"
95-3, Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia.
- Allen, Franklin & Gale, Douglas, 1995. "A welfare comparison of intermediaries and financial markets in Germany and the US," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 39(2), pages 179-209, February.
- Fulghieri, P. & Rovelli, R., 1993. "Capital Markets, Financial Intermediaries, and the Supply of Liquidity in a Dynamic Economy," Papers 93-04, Columbia - Graduate School of Business.
- Melitz, Jacques, 1990. "Financial deregulation in France," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 34(2-3), pages 394-402, May.
- Bennett T. McCallum, 1988. "The Optimal Inflation Rate in an Overlapping-Generations Economy with Land," NBER Working Papers 1892, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:fip:fedpwp:95-4. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Beth Paul)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.