Computing the Distributions of Economic Models Via Simulation
This paper studies the convergence properties of a Monte Carlo algorithm for computing distributions of state variables when the underlying model is a Markov chain with absolutely continuous transition probabilities. We show that the L1 error of the estimator always converges to zero with probability one. In addition, rates of convergence are established for L1 and integral mean squared errors. The algorithm is shown to have many applications in economics.
|Date of creation:||2005|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Department of Economics, The University of Melbourne, 4th Floor, FBE Building, Level 4, 111 Barry Street. Victoria, 3010, Australia|
Phone: +61 3 8344 5355
Fax: +61 3 8344 6899
Web page: http://fbe.unimelb.edu.au/economics
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Nishimura, Kazuo & Rudnicki, Ryszard & Stachurski, John, 2006. "Stochastic optimal growth with nonconvexities," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 42(1), pages 74-96, February.
- Elerain, Ola & Chib, Siddhartha & Shephard, Neil, 2001.
"Likelihood Inference for Discretely Observed Nonlinear Diffusions,"
Econometric Society, vol. 69(4), pages 959-93, July.
- Elerian, O. & Chib, S. & Shephard, N., 1998. "Likelihood INference for Discretely Observed Non-linear Diffusions," Economics Papers 146, Economics Group, Nuffield College, University of Oxford.
- Neil Shephard & Ola Elerian & Siddhartha Chib, 1998. "Likelihood inference for discretely observed non-linear diffusions," Economics Series Working Papers 1998-W10, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Ola Elerian & Siddhartha Chib & Neil Shephard, 2000. "Likelihood inference for discretely observed non-linear diffusions," OFRC Working Papers Series 2000mf02, Oxford Financial Research Centre.
- Angus Deaton & Guy Laroque, 1990.
"On The Behavior of Commodity Prices,"
NBER Working Papers
3439, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Johnson, Paul, 2003.
"A Continuous State Space Approach to “Convergence by Parts”,"
Vassar College Department of Economics Working Paper Series
54, Vassar College Department of Economics.
- Johnson, Paul A., 2005. "A continuous state space approach to "Convergence by Parts"," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 86(3), pages 317-321, March.
- Sarno, Lucio & Valente, Giorgio, 2002.
"Comparing the Accuracy of Density Forecasts from Competing Models,"
Computing in Economics and Finance 2002
223, Society for Computational Economics.
- Giorgio Valente & Lucio Sarno, 2004. "Comparing the accuracy of density forecasts from competing models," Journal of Forecasting, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 23(8), pages 541-557.
- Esteban Rossi-Hansberg & Mark L. J. Wright, 2006.
"Establishment size dynamics in the aggregate economy,"
382, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Esteban Rossi-Hansberg & Mark L. J. Wright, 2007. "Establishment Size Dynamics in the Aggregate Economy," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 97(5), pages 1639-1666, December.
- Brock, William A. & Mirman, Leonard J., 1972. "Optimal economic growth and uncertainty: The discounted case," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 4(3), pages 479-513, June.
- A. S. Hurn & K. A. Lindsay & V. L. Martin, 2003. "On the efficacy of simulated maximum likelihood for estimating the parameters of stochastic differential Equations," Journal of Time Series Analysis, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 24(1), pages 45-63, 01.
- Hansen, Bruce E., 2005. "Exact Mean Integrated Squared Error Of Higher Order Kernel Estimators," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 21(06), pages 1031-1057, December.
- Nishimura, Kazuo & Stachurski, John, 2005. "Stability of stochastic optimal growth models: a new approach," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 122(1), pages 100-118, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:mlb:wpaper:949. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Katherine Perez)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.