Computing General Equilibrium Models with Occupational Choice and Financial Frictions
This paper establishes the existence of a stationary equilibrium and a procedure to compute solutions to a class of dynamic general equilibrium models with two important features. First, occupational choice is determined endogenously as a function of heterogeneous agent type, which is defined by an agent's managerial ability and capital bequest. Heterogeneous ability is exogenous and independent across generations. In contrast, bequests link generations and the distribution of bequests evolves endogenously. Second, there is a financial market for capital loans with a deadweight intermediation cost and a repayment incentive constraint. The incentive constraint induces a non-convexity. The paper proves that the competitive equilibrium can be characterized by the bequest distribution and factor prices, and uses the monotone mixing condition to ensure that the stationary bequest distribution that arises from the agent's optimal behavior across generations exists and is unique. The paper next constructs a direct, non-parametric approach to compute the stationary solution. The method reduces the domain of the policy function, thus reducing the computational complexity of the problem.
|Date of creation:||May 2006|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.fas.nus.edu.sg/ecs/scape/index.html|
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Abhijit V. Banerjee & Andrew F. Newman, 1990.
"Occupational Choice and the Process of Development,"
911, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Banerjee, Abhijit V & Newman, Andrew F, 1993. "Occupational Choice and the Process of Development," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 101(2), pages 274-98, April.
- Antonio Antunes & Tiago Cavalcanti & Anne Villamil, 2006.
"The Effect of Financial Repression & Enforcement on Entrepreneurship and Economic Development,"
Development Economics Working Papers
21816, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- António Antunes & Tiago Cavalcanti & Anne Villamil, 2006. "The Effect of Financial Repression & Enforcement on Entrepreneurship and Economic Development," SCAPE Policy Research Working Paper Series 0610, National University of Singapore, Department of Economics, SCAPE.
- Lucas, Robert E, Jr, 1978. "Asset Prices in an Exchange Economy," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 46(6), pages 1429-45, November.
- Krasa, Stefan & Sharma, Tridib & Villamil, Anne P., 2005. "Debt contracts and cooperative improvements," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 41(7), pages 857-874, November.
- Nancy L Stokey, 1986.
"Learning-by-Doing and the Introduction of New Goods,"
699, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science, revised May 1987.
- Stokey, Nancy L, 1988. "Learning by Doing and the Introduction of New Goods," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 96(4), pages 701-17, August.
- Caroline Betts & Joydeep Bhattacharya, 1998.
"Unemployment, credit rationing, and capital accumulation: a tale of two frictions,"
Springer, vol. 12(3), pages 489-517.
- Bhattacharya, Joydeep & Betts, Caroline, 1998. "Unemployment, Credit Rationing, and Capital Accumulation: A Tale of Two Frictions," Staff General Research Papers 5104, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Timothy J. Kehoe & David K. Levine, 1993. "Debt-Constrained Asset Markets," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 60(4), pages 865-888.
- Timothy J. Kehoe & David K. Levine, 1992.
"Debt constrained asset markets,"
445, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Hopenhayn, Hugo A & Prescott, Edward C, 1992. "Stochastic Monotonicity and Stationary Distributions for Dynamic Economies," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 60(6), pages 1387-406, November.
- Gaetano Antinolfi & Elisabeth Huybens, 1996.
"Capital Accumulation and Real Exchange Rate Behavior in a Small Open Economy with Credit Market Frictions,"
9604, Centro de Investigacion Economica, ITAM.
- Elisabeth Huybens & Gaetano Antinolfi, 1998. "Capital accumulation and real exchange rate behavior in a small open economy with credit market frictions," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 12(3), pages 461-488.
- John Stachurski & University of Melbourne, 2006.
"Computing the Distributions of Economic Models via Simulation,"
Computing in Economics and Finance 2006
185, Society for Computational Economics.
- John Stachurski & Vance Martin, 2008. "Computing the Distributions of Economic Models via Simulation," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 76(2), pages 443-450, 03.
- John Stachurski, 2006. "Computing the Distributions of Economic Models Via Simulation," KIER Working Papers 615, Kyoto University, Institute of Economic Research.
- John Stachurski, 2005. "Computing the Distributions of Economic Models Via Simulation," Department of Economics - Working Papers Series 949, The University of Melbourne.
- Bruce D. Smith & John H. Boyd, 1998.
"The evolution of debt and equity markets in economic development,"
Springer, vol. 12(3), pages 519-560.
- John H. Boyd & Bruce D. Smith, 1995. "The evolution of debt and equity markets in economic development," Working Papers 542, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Stefan Krasa & Anne P. Villamil, 2000. "Optimal Contracts when Enforcement Is a Decision Variable," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 68(1), pages 119-134, January.
- Antunes, António & Cavalcanti, Tiago & Villamil, Anne, 2008. "The effect of financial repression and enforcement on entrepreneurship and economic development," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 55(2), pages 278-297, March.
- Huw Lloyd-Ellis & Dan Bernhardt, 2000. "Enterprise, Inequality and Economic Development," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 67(1), pages 147-168.
- Antunes, Antonio R. & Cavalcanti, Tiago V. de V., 2007. "Start up costs, limited enforcement, and the hidden economy," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 51(1), pages 203-224, January.
- Andres Erosa, 2001.
"Financial Intermediation and Occupational Choice in Development,"
Review of Economic Dynamics,
Elsevier for the Society for Economic Dynamics, vol. 4(2), pages 303-334, April.
- Andrés Erosa, 2000. "Financial Intermediation and Occupational Choice in Development," UWO Department of Economics Working Papers 20003, University of Western Ontario, Department of Economics.
- Amaral, Pedro S. & Quintin, Erwan, 2006. "A competitive model of the informal sector," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 53(7), pages 1541-1553, October.
- Krasa, Stefan & Yannelis, Nicholas C, 1994. "An Elementary Proof of the Knaster-Kuratowski-Mazurkiewicz-Shapley Theorem," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 4(3), pages 467-71, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:sca:scaewp:0611. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.