Computing Densities: A Conditional Monte Carlo Estimator
We propose a generalized conditional Monte Carlo technique for computing densities in economic models. Global consistency and functional asymptotic normality are established under ergodicity assumptions on the simulated process. The asymptotic normality result allows us to characterize the asymptotic distribution of the error in density space, and implies faster convergence than nonparametric kernel density estimators. We show that our results nest several other well-known density estimators, and illustrate potential applications.
|Date of creation:||Oct 2009|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Hongo 7-3-1, Bunkyo-ku, Tokyo 113-0033|
Web page: http://www.cirje.e.u-tokyo.ac.jp/index.html
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Shane G. Henderson & Peter W. Glynn, 2001. "Computing Densities for Markov Chains via Simulation," Mathematics of Operations Research, INFORMS, vol. 26(2), pages 375-400, May.
- Danielsson, Jon, 1994. "Stochastic volatility in asset prices estimation with simulated maximum likelihood," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 64(1-2), pages 375-400.
- S. Rao Aiyagari, 1994.
"Uninsured Idiosyncratic Risk and Aggregate Saving,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
Oxford University Press, vol. 109(3), pages 659-684.
- S. Rao Aiyagari, 1993. "Uninsured idiosyncratic risk and aggregate saving," Working Papers 502, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- John Stachurski & Vance Martin, 2008. "Computing the Distributions of Economic Models via Simulation," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 76(2), pages 443-450, 03.
- John Stachurski, 2005. "Computing the Distributions of Economic Models Via Simulation," Department of Economics - Working Papers Series 949, The University of Melbourne.
- John Stachurski, 2006. "Computing the Distributions of Economic Models Via Simulation," KIER Working Papers 615, Kyoto University, Institute of Economic Research.
- John Stachurski & University of Melbourne, 2006. "Computing the Distributions of Economic Models via Simulation," Computing in Economics and Finance 2006 185, Society for Computational Economics.
- Brock, William A. & Mirman, Leonard J., 1972. "Optimal economic growth and uncertainty: The discounted case," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 4(3), pages 479-513, June.
- Lars Peter Hansen & Thomas J. Sargent, 2007. "Introduction to Robustness," Introductory Chapters,in: Robustness Princeton University Press.
- Durham, Garland B & Gallant, A Ronald, 2002. "Numerical Techniques for Maximum Likelihood Estimation of Continuous-Time Diffusion Processes," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 20(3), pages 297-316, July.
- Chib, Siddhartha & Nardari, Federico & Shephard, Neil, 2002. "Markov chain Monte Carlo methods for stochastic volatility models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 108(2), pages 281-316, June. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:tky:fseres:2009cf678. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (CIRJE administrative office)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.