Regional welfare weights
Pareto welfare criterion based on people’s willingness to pay for a project’s output is regarded by many as a narrow interpretation of improvement in social well-being. A broader opinion is that even though poorer individuals may be less able to pay for a particular benefit, they may obtain greater utility from it. In line with the broader opinion, this paper looks at country based welfare weights in the European Union with a special emphasis on relatively poor countries who became members recently. Welfare weights now have a high policy profile in the European Union in relation to distribution of funds between member and member to be countries. They can also be used in cost-benefit analysis to give priority to infrastructure projects in underprivileged areas
|Date of creation:||31 Oct 2006|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Via Conservatorio 7, I-20122 Milan - Italy|
Phone: +39 02 50321522
Fax: +39 02 50321505
Web page: http://www.demm.unimi.it
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- David J. Evans, 2005. "The elasticity of marginal utility of consumption: estimates for 20 OECD countries," Fiscal Studies, Institute for Fiscal Studies, vol. 26(2), pages 197-224, June.
- D. Evans & E. Kula & H. Sezer, 2005. "Regional welfare weights for the UK: England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 39(7), pages 923-937.
- Blue, E. Neal & Tweeten, Luther, 1997. "The estimation of marginal utility of income for application to agricultural policy analysis," Agricultural Economics of Agricultural Economists, International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 16(3), August.
- Kula, E., 2002. "Regional Welfare Weights in Investment Appraisal - The Case of India," Journal of Regional Analysis and Policy, Mid-Continent Regional Science Association, vol. 32(1).
- Neal Blue, E. & Tweeten, Luther, 1997. "The estimation of marginal utility of income for application to agricultural policy analysis," Agricultural Economics, Blackwell, vol. 16(3), pages 155-169, August.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:mil:wpdepa:2006-32. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (DEMM Working Papers)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.