Cost-benefit analysis of infrastructure projects in an enlarged European Union: an incentive-oriented approach
The purpose of the paper is to analyse some results of cost-benefit analysis in a sample of ISPA (Structural Instrument for pre-accession countries) projects. The focus is particularly on the variability of financial and economic rates of return and how to integrate this information in the EU co-financing mechanism. We investigate, through the analysis of variance of co-financing rate, to which extent variability of rates is due to structural characteristics (sectors, countries) or to the existence of a residual variance due both to specificity of the project and discretional element of the appraisal method, which may constitute an information noise. We find that the variance of co-financing rate across countries is poorly explained by different composition of sectors of investment. This suggests the need to reinforce a more consistent approach to evaluation and co-financing. We suggest some possible solutions.
|Date of creation:||01 Jan 2003|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Via Conservatorio 7, I-20122 Milan - Italy|
Phone: +39 02 50321522
Fax: +39 02 50321505
Web page: http://www.demm.unimi.it
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Alberto Bucci, 2003.
"R&D, Imperfect Competition and Growth with Human Capital Accumulation,"
Scottish Journal of Political Economy,
Scottish Economic Society, vol. 50(4), pages 417-439, 09.
- Alberto Bucci, 2003. "R&D, imperfect competition and growth with human capital accumulation," Departmental Working Papers 2003-11, Department of Economics, Management and Quantitative Methods at Università degli Studi di Milano.
- Jacky Fayolle & Jacques Le Cacheux, 1998. "Élargissement, PAC, politiques structurelles et « juste retour » : la quadrature du cercle budgétaire européen," Revue de l'OFCE, Programme National Persée, vol. 66(1), pages 37-60.
- Jacky Fayolle & Jacques Le Cacheux, 1998. "Elargissement, PAC, politiques structurelles et ' juste retour ' : la quadrature du cercle budgétaire européen," Sciences Po publications info:hdl:2441/2095, Sciences Po.
- Jacky Fayolle & Jacques Le Cacheux, 1998. "Elargissement, PAC, politiques structurelles et ' juste retour ' : la quadrature du cercle budgétaire européen," Post-Print hal-01010683, HAL.
- Gillian Bristow & Nigel Blewitt, 2001. "The Structural Funds and additionality in Wales: devolution and multilevel governance," Environment and Planning A, Pion Ltd, London, vol. 33(6), pages 1083-1099, June.
- Roger Vickerman & Klaus Spiekermann & Michael Wegener, 1999. "Accessibility and Economic Development in Europe," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 33(1), pages 1-15.
- Paul Lawless, 2001. "Community economic development in urban and regional regeneration: unfolding potential or justifiable scepticism?," Environment and Planning C: Government and Policy, Pion Ltd, London, vol. 19(1), pages 135-155, February.
- Pereira, Alfredo M, 1997. "Development Policies in the EU: An International Comparison," Review of Development Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 1(2), pages 219-235, June.
- Boldrin, Michele & Canova, Fabio, 2003. "Regional Policies and EU Enlargement," CEPR Discussion Papers 3744, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Harvey W. Armstrong, 1996. "European Union Regional Policy: Sleepwalking to a Crisis," International Regional Science Review, , vol. 19(3), pages 193-209, July.
- Esteban, J., 2000. "Regional convergence in Europe and the industry mix: a shift-share analysis," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 30(3), pages 353-364, May.
- Frank Barry & John Bradley & Aoife Hannan, 2001. "The Single Market, the Structural Funds and Ireland's Recent Economic Growth," Journal of Common Market Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 39(3), pages 537-552, 09.
- Massimo Florio, 1999. "An International Comparison of the Financial and Economic Rate of Return of Development Projects," Departmental Working Papers 1999-06, Department of Economics, Management and Quantitative Methods at Università degli Studi di Milano. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:mil:wpdepa:2003-13. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (DEMM Working Papers)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.