Cost-benefit analysis of infrastructure projects in an enlarged European Union: an incentive-oriented approach
The purpose of the paper is to analyse some results of cost-benefit analysis in a sample of ISPA (Structural Instrument for pre-accession countries) projects. The focus is particularly on the variability of financial and economic rates of return and how to integrate this information in the EU co-financing mechanism. We investigate, through the analysis of variance of co-financing rate, to which extent variability of rates is due to structural characteristics (sectors, countries) or to the existence of a residual variance due both to specificity of the project and discretional element of the appraisal method, which may constitute an information noise. We find that the variance of co-financing rate across countries is poorly explained by different composition of sectors of investment. This suggests the need to reinforce a more consistent approach to evaluation and co-financing. We suggest some possible solutions.
|Date of creation:||01 Jan 2003|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +39 02 50321522
Fax: +39 02 50321505
Web page: http://www.demm.unimi.it
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Massimo Florio, 1999. "An International Comparison of the Financial and Economic Rate of Return of Development Projects," Departmental Working Papers 1999-06, Department of Economics, Management and Quantitative Methods at Università degli Studi di Milano.
- Alberto Bucci, 2003.
"R&D, Imperfect Competition and Growth with Human Capital Accumulation,"
Scottish Journal of Political Economy,
Scottish Economic Society, vol. 50(4), pages 417-439, 09.
- Alberto Bucci, 2003. "R&D, imperfect competition and growth with human capital accumulation," Departmental Working Papers 2003-11, Department of Economics, Management and Quantitative Methods at Università degli Studi di Milano.
- Roger Vickerman & Klaus Spiekermann & Michael Wegener, 1999. "Accessibility and Economic Development in Europe," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 33(1), pages 1-15.
- Harvey W. Armstrong, 1996. "European Union Regional Policy: Sleepwalking to a Crisis," International Regional Science Review, , vol. 19(3), pages 193-209, July.
- Gillian Bristow & Nigel Blewitt, 2001. "The Structural Funds and additionality in Wales: devolution and multilevel governance," Environment and Planning A, Pion Ltd, London, vol. 33(6), pages 1083-1099, June.
- Jacky Fayolle & Jacques Le Cacheux, 1998.
"Elargissement, PAC, politiques structurelles et ' juste retour ' : la quadrature du cercle budgétaire européen,"
Sciences Po publications
info:hdl:2441/2095, Sciences Po.
- Jacques Le Cacheux & Jacky Fayolle, 1998. "Élargissement, PAC, politiques structurelles et « juste retour » : la quadrature du cercle budgétaire européen," Revue de l'OFCE, Programme National Persée, vol. 66(1), pages 37-60.
- Boldrin, Michele & Canova, Fabio, 2003. "Regional Policies and EU Enlargement," CEPR Discussion Papers 3744, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521597630 is not listed on IDEAS
- Paul Lawless, 2001. "Community economic development in urban and regional regeneration: unfolding potential or justifiable scepticism?," Environment and Planning C: Government and Policy, Pion Ltd, London, vol. 19(1), pages 135-155, February.
- Pereira, Alfredo M, 1997. "Development Policies in the EU: An International Comparison," Review of Development Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 1(2), pages 219-35, June.
- Esteban, J., 2000. "Regional convergence in Europe and the industry mix: a shift-share analysis," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 30(3), pages 353-364, May.
- Frank Barry & John Bradley & Aoife Hannan, 2001. "The Single Market, the Structural Funds and Ireland's Recent Economic Growth," Journal of Common Market Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 39(3), pages 537-552, 09.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:mil:wpdepa:2003-13. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (DEMM Working Papers)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.