Cost-benefit Analysis of Infrastructure Projects in an Enlarged European Union: Returns and Incentives
We consider results of cost-benefit analysis (CBA) in a large sample of ISPA (Structural Instrument for Pre-Accession countries) projects co-financed by the European Union to support investment in transport and environment. The research focus is on the empirical analysis of the variability of financial and economic rates of return and how to integrate this information in the EU co-financing mechanism. We investigate to what extent the variability of expected returns and of EU co-financing rates is due to structural project characteristics (sectors, countries) or to other unexplained factors, including errors in the appraisal. We find that while the absolute level of grants is related to sectors, the EU co-financing rate depends on countries. There is no justification in economic analysis of such a country bias, because the variability of economic rate of returns is unrelated either to sector or country factors. These findings points to the need of a more consistent approach to evaluation and EU co-financing of infrastructure supported by the EU funds. We suggest possible improvements, based on the idea to offer an incentive to projects with high-expected economic␣rates of return relative to a benchmark and showing ex-post the realism of the initial analysis. Copyright Springer Science+Business Media, LLC 2005
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Alberto Chong & César Calderón, 2001.
"Volume and Quality of Infrastructure and the Distribution of Income: An Empirical Investigation,"
Research Department Publications
4263, Inter-American Development Bank, Research Department.
- César Calderón & Alberto Chong, 2004. "Volume and Quality of Infrastructure and the Distribution of Income: An Empirical Investigation," Review of Income and Wealth, International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 50(1), pages 87-106, 03.
- César Calderón & Alberto E. Chong, 2001. "Volume and Quality of Infrastructure and the Distribution of Income: An Empirical Investigation," IDB Publications (Working Papers) 6484, Inter-American Development Bank.
- Massimo Florio, 1997. "The economic rate of return of infrastructures and regional policy in the European Union," Annals of Public and Cooperative Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 68(1), pages 39-64, 03.
- Frank Barry & John Bradley & Aoife Hannan, 2001. "The Single Market, the Structural Funds and Ireland's Recent Economic Growth," Journal of Common Market Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 39(3), pages 537-552, 09.
- Massimo Florio, 1999. "An International Comparison of the Financial and Economic Rate of Return of Development Projects," Departmental Working Papers 1999-06, Department of Economics, Management and Quantitative Methods at Università degli Studi di Milano.
- Pereira, Alfredo M, 1997. "Development Policies in the EU: An International Comparison," Review of Development Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 1(2), pages 219-35, June.
- Calderon, Cesar & Serven, Luis, 2004.
"The effects of infrastructure development on growth and income distribution,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
3400, The World Bank.
- César Calderón & Luis Servén, 2005. "The Effects of Infrastructure Development on Growth and Income Distribution," DEGIT Conference Papers c010_056, DEGIT, Dynamics, Economic Growth, and International Trade.
- César Calderón & Luis Servén, 2004. "The Effects of Infrastructure Development on Growth and Income Distribution," Working Papers Central Bank of Chile 270, Central Bank of Chile.
- de la Fuente, Angel, 2002.
"On the sources of convergence: A close look at the Spanish regions,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 46(3), pages 569-599, March.
- de la Fuente, A, 1996. "On the Sources of Convergence : A Close Look at the Spanish Regions," UFAE and IAE Working Papers 362.96, Unitat de Fonaments de l'Anàlisi Econòmica (UAB) and Institut d'Anàlisi Econòmica (CSIC).
- Angel de la Fuente & Vicente Salas Fumás, . "On the sources of convergence: A close look at the Spanish regions," Studies on the Spanish Economy 01, FEDEA.
- de la Fuente, Angel, 1996. "On the Sources of Convergence: A Close Look at the Spanish Regions," CEPR Discussion Papers 1543, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Massimo FLORIO & Silvia VIGNETTI, 2004. "Cost benefit analysis, developing planning and the EU cohesion fund: learning from experience," Departmental Working Papers 2004-31, Department of Economics, Management and Quantitative Methods at Università degli Studi di Milano.
- Gillian Bristow & Nigel Blewitt, 2001. "The Structural Funds and additionality in Wales: devolution and multilevel governance," Environment and Planning A, Pion Ltd, London, vol. 33(6), pages 1083-1099, June.
- Jacky Fayolle & Jacques Le Cacheux, 1998.
"Elargissement, PAC, politiques structurelles et ' juste retour ' : la quadrature du cercle budgétaire européen,"
Sciences Po publications
info:hdl:2441/2095, Sciences Po.
- Jacques Le Cacheux & Jacky Fayolle, 1998. "Élargissement, PAC, politiques structurelles et « juste retour » : la quadrature du cercle budgétaire européen," Revue de l'OFCE, Programme National Persée, vol. 66(1), pages 37-60.
- Boldrin, Michele & Canova, Fabio, 2003. "Regional Policies and EU Enlargement," CEPR Discussion Papers 3744, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- John Bradley, 2006. "Evaluating the impact of European Union Cohesion policy in less-developed countries and regions," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 40(2), pages 189-200.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:kap:ecopln:v:38:y:2005:i:3:p:179-210. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn)or (Christopher F. Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.