Cost-benefit Analysis of Infrastructure Projects in an Enlarged European Union: Returns and Incentives
We consider results of cost-benefit analysis (CBA) in a large sample of ISPA (Structural Instrument for Pre-Accession countries) projects co-financed by the European Union to support investment in transport and environment. The research focus is on the empirical analysis of the variability of financial and economic rates of return and how to integrate this information in the EU co-financing mechanism. We investigate to what extent the variability of expected returns and of EU co-financing rates is due to structural project characteristics (sectors, countries) or to other unexplained factors, including errors in the appraisal. We find that while the absolute level of grants is related to sectors, the EU co-financing rate depends on countries. There is no justification in economic analysis of such a country bias, because the variability of economic rate of returns is unrelated either to sector or country factors. These findings points to the need of a more consistent approach to evaluation and EU co-financing of infrastructure supported by the EU funds. We suggest possible improvements, based on the idea to offer an incentive to projects with high-expected economic␣rates of return relative to a benchmark and showing ex-post the realism of the initial analysis. Copyright Springer Science+Business Media, LLC 2005
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 38 (2005)
Issue (Month): 3 (December)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.springer.com|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.springer.com/economics/development/journal/10644/PS2|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Alberto Chong & César Calderón, 2001.
"Volume and Quality of Infrastructure and the Distribution of Income: An Empirical Investigation,"
Research Department Publications
4263, Inter-American Development Bank, Research Department.
- César Calderón & Alberto Chong, 2004. "Volume and Quality of Infrastructure and the Distribution of Income: An Empirical Investigation," Review of Income and Wealth, International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 50(1), pages 87-106, 03.
- César Calderón & Alberto E. Chong, 2001. "Volume and Quality of Infrastructure and the Distribution of Income: An Empirical Investigation," IDB Publications (Working Papers) 6484, Inter-American Development Bank.
- de la Fuente, Angel, 2002.
"On the sources of convergence: A close look at the Spanish regions,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 46(3), pages 569-599, March.
- de la Fuente, Angel, 1996. "On the Sources of Convergence: A Close Look at the Spanish Regions," CEPR Discussion Papers 1543, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Angel de la Fuente & Vicente Salas FumÂ·s, . "On the sources of convergence: A close look at the Spanish regions," Studies on the Spanish Economy 01, FEDEA.
- de la Fuente, A, 1996. "On the Sources of Convergence : A Close Look at the Spanish Regions," UFAE and IAE Working Papers 362.96, Unitat de Fonaments de l'Anàlisi Econòmica (UAB) and Institut d'Anàlisi Econòmica (CSIC).
- Jacky Fayolle & Jacques Le Cacheux, 1998.
"Elargissement, PAC, politiques structurelles et ' juste retour ' : la quadrature du cercle budgétaire européen,"
Sciences Po publications
info:hdl:2441/2095, Sciences Po.
- Jacky Fayolle & Jacques Le Cacheux, 1998. "Élargissement, PAC, politiques structurelles et « juste retour » : la quadrature du cercle budgétaire européen," Revue de l'OFCE, Programme National Persée, vol. 66(1), pages 37-60.
- Jacky Fayolle & Jacques Le Cacheux, 1998. "Elargissement, PAC, politiques structurelles et ' juste retour ' : la quadrature du cercle budgétaire européen," Post-Print hal-01010683, HAL.
- Massimo FLORIO & Silvia VIGNETTI, 2004. "Cost benefit analysis, developing planning and the EU cohesion fund: learning from experience," Departmental Working Papers 2004-31, Department of Economics, Management and Quantitative Methods at Università degli Studi di Milano.
- Pereira, Alfredo M, 1997. "Development Policies in the EU: An International Comparison," Review of Development Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 1(2), pages 219-35, June.
- César Calderón & Luis Servén, 2004.
"The Effects of Infrastructure Development on Growth and Income Distribution,"
Working Papers Central Bank of Chile
270, Central Bank of Chile.
- César Calderón & Luis Servén, 2005. "The Effects of Infrastructure Development on Growth and Income Distribution," DEGIT Conference Papers c010_056, DEGIT, Dynamics, Economic Growth, and International Trade.
- Calderon, Cesar & Serven, Luis, 2004. "The effects of infrastructure development on growth and income distribution," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3400, The World Bank.
- Massimo Florio, 1999. "An International Comparison of the Financial and Economic Rate of Return of Development Projects," Departmental Working Papers 1999-06, Department of Economics, Management and Quantitative Methods at Università degli Studi di Milano.
- Massimo Florio, 1997. "The economic rate of return of infrastructures and regional policy in the European Union," Annals of Public and Cooperative Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 68(1), pages 39-64, 03.
- Laffont,Jean-Jacques, 2005.
"Regulation and Development,"
Cambridge University Press, number 9780521840187, November.
- Boldrin, Michele & Canova, Fabio, 2003. "Regional Policies and EU Enlargement," CEPR Discussion Papers 3744, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Frank Barry & John Bradley & Aoife Hannan, 2001. "The Single Market, the Structural Funds and Ireland's Recent Economic Growth," Journal of Common Market Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 39(3), pages 537-552, 09.
- Gillian Bristow & Nigel Blewitt, 2001. "The Structural Funds and additionality in Wales: devolution and multilevel governance," Environment and Planning A, Pion Ltd, London, vol. 33(6), pages 1083-1099, June.
- John Bradley, 2006. "Evaluating the impact of European Union Cohesion policy in less-developed countries and regions," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 40(2), pages 189-200.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:kap:ecopln:v:38:y:2005:i:3:p:179-210. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sonal Shukla)or (Rebekah McClure)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.