The use of ex post Cost-Benefit Analysis to assess the long-term effects of Major Infrastructure Projects
This paper draws and expands from a recent ex-post evaluation carried out for the European Commission aimed at assessing the long term effects produced by a sample of ten major infrastructures in the Transport and Environment sectors and interpreting the key determinants of the observed performance. This evaluation study offered a unique opportunity to draw conclusions on the value of performing ex-post evaluations and to test an innovative evaluation design combining cost-benefit analysis (CBA) with qualitative assessment and adopting a long-run perspective (30 years), which extends into both the past and the future, and requires a mix of retrospective and prospective analysis. This paper presents the potential of ex-post CBA to assess long term impacts of major infrastructure projects and discusses some methodological and institutional implications related to its use.
|Date of creation:||22 May 2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: + 39 02 796630
Fax: + 39 02 780703
Web page: http://www.csilmilano.com/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Massimo FLORIO & Silvia VIGNETTI, 2003.
"Cost-benefit analysis of infrastructure projects in an enlarged European Union: an incentive-oriented approach,"
Departmental Working Papers
2003-13, Department of Economics, Management and Quantitative Methods at Università degli Studi di Milano.
- Massimo Florio & Silvia Vignetti, 2003. "Cost-benefit analysis of Infrastructure Projects in an Enlarged European Union: an Incentive-Oriented Approach," Development Working Papers 181, Centro Studi Luca d\'Agliano, University of Milano.
- Massimo FLORIO, 2006. "Multi-government cost-benefit analysis: shadow prices and incentives," Departmental Working Papers 2006-37, Department of Economics, Management and Quantitative Methods at Università degli Studi di Milano.
- Michela Cella & Massimo Florio, 2009. "Hierarchical contracting in grant decisions: ex-ante and ex-post evaluation in the context of the EURegional Policy," Working Papers 171, University of Milano-Bicocca, Department of Economics, revised Jun 2009.
- Bråthen, Svein & Hervik, Arild, 1997. "Strait crossings and economic development : Developing economic impact assessment by means of ex post analyses," Transport Policy, Elsevier, vol. 4(4), pages 193-200, October.
- Robert Bain, 2009. "Error and optimism bias in toll road traffic forecasts," Transportation, Springer, vol. 36(5), pages 469-482, September.
- Jenkins, Glenn P, 1997. "Project Analysis and the World Bank," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 87(2), pages 38-42, May.
- Julie Pellegrin & Emanuela Sirtori, 2012. "Methodologies to assess the impact of infrastructure projects in international development evaluation," Working Papers 201202, Centre for Industrial Studies (CSIL).
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:mst:wpaper:201302. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Marinella Manghina)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.