Cohesion and Competition of Europe: Policy Suggestions from The Perspective of Network and Entropy
This study analyzes the innovativeness of European Union in the context of European Research Area. Literature related with the Systems of Innovation, network studies, Framework Programmes and European Research Area will be used to establish a theoretical framework for a policy analysis. It forms a database from three different resources to establish a European Research and Innovation Network, appearing as a result of policy and programme implementations at the European level. The innovativeness of European Union is discussed for developing policy recommendations, benefiting from the theoretical arguments as well as from analytical studies, derived from network analysis and notion of entropy. It is observed that implementation of a relatively simple rule by European Commission, in addition to policies focusing on development of diversity and absorptive capacity of countries, which are structural holes, may make important contribution to improve the cohesion and competitiveness of European Research Area, as well as the innovativeness of European Union.
|Date of creation:||Dec 2015|
|Date of revision:||Dec 2015|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ankara 06531|
Phone: +90 (312) 210 2003
Fax: (312) 210 1244
Web page: http://www.stps.metu.edu.tr
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Roberto Camagni & Roberta Capello, 2013. "Regional Innovation Patterns and the EU Regional Policy Reform: Toward Smart Innovation Policies," Growth and Change, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 44(2), pages 355-389, June.
- ., 2006. "Nonlinear Dynamism of Innovation: Executive Summary," Chapters,in: Innovation Dynamism and Economic Growth, chapter 1 Edward Elgar Publishing.
- ., 2006. "Trunk Innovations and Institutional Change," Chapters,in: Innovation Dynamism and Economic Growth, chapter 5 Edward Elgar Publishing.
- Roediger-Schluga, Thomas & Barber, Michael J., 2006. "The structure of R&D collaboration networks in the European Framework Programmes," MERIT Working Papers 036, United Nations University - Maastricht Economic and Social Research Institute on Innovation and Technology (MERIT).
- Stefano Breschi & Lucia Cusmano, 2002. "Unveiling the Texture of a European Research Area: Emergence of Oligarchic Networks under EU Framework Programmes," KITeS Working Papers 130, KITeS, Centre for Knowledge, Internationalization and Technology Studies, Universita' Bocconi, Milano, Italy, revised Jul 2002.
- Wang, Bing & Tang, Huanwen & Guo, Chonghui & Xiu, Zhilong, 2006. "Entropy optimization of scale-free networks’ robustness to random failures," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 363(2), pages 591-596.
- Urmas Varblane & David Dyker & Dorel Tamm & Nick von Tunzelmann, 2007. "Can the National Innovation Systems of the New EU Member States Be Improved?," Post-Communist Economies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 19(4), pages 399-416.
- Anne Ter Wal & Ron Boschma, 2011.
"Co-evolution of Firms, Industries and Networks in Space,"
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 45(7), pages 919-933.
- Anne ter Wal & Ron A. Boschma, 2007. "Co-evolution of firms, industries and networks in space," Papers in Evolutionary Economic Geography (PEEG) 0707, Utrecht University, Section of Economic Geography, revised Aug 2007.
- Leoncini, R. & Maggioni, M. A. & Montresor, S., 1996. "Intersectoral innovation flows and national technological systems: network analysis for comparing Italy and Germany," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 25(3), pages 415-430, May.
- Soh, Pek-Hooi & Roberts, Edward B., 2003. "Networks of innovators: a longitudinal perspective," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 32(9), pages 1569-1588, October.
- DeBresson, Chris & Amesse, Fernand, 1991. "Networks of innovators :A review and introduction to the issue," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 20(5), pages 363-379, October.
- Saviotti, P. P., 1988. "Information, variety and entropy in technoeconomic development," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 17(2), pages 89-103, April.
- BorrÃ¡s, Susana & Edquist, Charles, 2013. "The choice of innovation policy instruments," Technological Forecasting and Social Change, Elsevier, vol. 80(8), pages 1513-1522.
- Jasjit Singh, 2005. "Collaborative Networks as Determinants of Knowledge Diffusion Patterns," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 51(5), pages 756-770, May.
- Demetrius, Lloyd & Manke, Thomas, 2005. "Robustness and network evolution—an entropic principle," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 346(3), pages 682-696.
- Dominique Foray, 2006. "The Economics of Knowledge," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262562235, January.
- ., 2006. "Kondratiev Business Cycles and Innovation Dynamism," Chapters,in: Innovation Dynamism and Economic Growth, chapter 3 Edward Elgar Publishing.
- Erik Arnold, 2012. "Understanding long-term impacts of R&D funding: The EU framework programme," Research Evaluation, Oxford University Press, vol. 21(5), pages 332-343, October.
- Borrás, Susana & Edquist, Charles, 2013. "The Choice of Innovation Policy Instruments," Papers in Innovation Studies 2013/4, Lund University, CIRCLE - Center for Innovation, Research and Competences in the Learning Economy.
- Cowan Robin, 2004. "Network models of innovation and knowledge diffusion," Research Memorandum 016, Maastricht University, Maastricht Economic Research Institute on Innovation and Technology (MERIT).
- Bart Nooteboom, 2000. "Learning by Interaction: Absorptive Capacity, Cognitive Distance and Governance," Journal of Management & Governance, Springer;Accademia Italiana di Economia Aziendale (AIDEA), vol. 4(1), pages 69-92, March.
- Melissa A. Schilling & Corey C. Phelps, 2007. "Interfirm Collaboration Networks: The Impact of Large-Scale Network Structure on Firm Innovation," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 53(7), pages 1113-1126, July.
- Jan Fagerberg, 1999. "The Economic Challenge for Europe: Adapting to Innovation-Based Growth," Working Papers 2, Centre for Technology, Innovation and Culture, University of Oslo.
- Jeremy Richardson, 2000. "Government, Interest Groups and Policy Change," Political Studies, Political Studies Association, vol. 48(5), pages 1006-1025, December.
- Nooteboom, B. & Stam, E., 2008. "Microfoundations for Innovation Policy," Other publications TiSEM 1d729f59-d1dd-4beb-a69d-f, Tilburg University, School of Economics and Management.
- ., 2006. "Technological Development and the Innovation Paradigm," Chapters,in: Innovation Dynamism and Economic Growth, chapter 6 Edward Elgar Publishing.
- Martin Ruef, 2002. "Strong ties, weak ties and islands: structural and cultural predictors of organizational innovation," Industrial and Corporate Change, Oxford University Press, vol. 11(3), pages 427-449, June.
- Bjørn T. Asheim & Jerker Moodysson & Franz TÖdtling, 2011. "Constructing Regional Advantage: Towards State-of-the-Art Regional Innovation System Policies in Europe?," European Planning Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 19(7), pages 1133-1139, July.
- Aimilia Protogerou & Yannis Caloghirou & Evangelos Siokas, 2010. "Policy-driven EU Research Networks: Impact on the Greek S&T System," DRUID Working Papers 10-12, DRUID, Copenhagen Business School, Department of Industrial Economics and Strategy/Aalborg University, Department of Business Studies. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:met:stpswp:1505. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Semih Akcomak)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.