Inter-CMA Migration of the Immigrants in Canada: 1991-1996 and 1996-2001
Based on the tabulations of the IMDB, I characterized, explained and compared the 1991-1996 and 1996-2001 inter-CMA migration of the immigrants in Canada. The spatial and temporal patterns were consistent with the neoclassical economic theory and the ethnic enclave theory. In making their decisions on departure and destination choices, the immigrants (both the 1991 landing cohort and 1996 cohort) were responsive to income and employment incentives, as well as the retaining and attracting powers of ethnic communities. This research also discovered an interesting temporal pattern -- while the inter-CMA migration of immigrants accentuated the over representation of the immigrants in Toronto and Vancouver in the 91-96 period, the rise of the “secondary” CMAs led to a spatial dispersal of the immigrants in the 96-01 period. This “new” finding supplements the existing literature on internal migration of Canadian immigrants, which discovered little evidence of an increased dispersion of immigrants over time.
|Date of creation:||May 2007|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 1280 Main Street West, Hamilton, Ontario, L8S 4M4|
Phone: (905) 525-9140 ext. 22765
Fax: (905) 521-8232
Web page: http://www.mcmaster.ca/economics/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kao-Lee Liaw & Lei Xu & Mingzhu Qi, 2002. "Quebec's Lackluster Performance in Interprovincial Migration and Immigration: How, Why, and What Can Be Done?," Quantitative Studies in Economics and Population Research Reports 378, McMaster University.
- P Kanaroglou & K-L Liaw & Y Y Papageorgiou, 1986.
"An analysis of migratory systems: 2. Operational framework,"
Environment and Planning A,
Pion Ltd, London, vol. 18(8), pages 1039-1060, August.
- P Kanaroglou & K-L Liaw & Y Y Papageorgiou, 1986. "An Analysis of Migratory Systems: 2. Operational Framework," Environment and Planning A, , vol. 18(8), pages 1039-1060, August.
- E G Moore & M W Rosenberg, 1995. "Modelling migration flows of immigrant groups in Canada," Environment and Planning A, Pion Ltd, London, vol. 27(5), pages 699-714, May.
- Kao-Lee Liaw & Lei Xu & Mingzhu Qi, 2002. "Quebec's Lackluster Performance in Interprovincial Migration and Immigration: How, Why, and What Can Be Done," Social and Economic Dimensions of an Aging Population Research Papers 87, McMaster University.
- Bartel, Ann P, 1989. "Where Do the New U.S. Immigrants Live?," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 7(4), pages 371-91, October.
- William Kandel & Emilio A. Parrado, 2005. "Restructuring of the US Meat Processing Industry and New Hispanic Migrant Destinations," Population and Development Review, The Population Council, Inc., vol. 31(3), pages 447-471.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:mcm:sedapp:195. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.