Gens una sumus? – Or Does Political Ideology Affect Experts’ Aesthetic Judgement of Chess Games
This paper presents evidence on biased voting by jurors from the Warsaw Pact countries who ranked high-level chess games. The roots of this bias are probably ideological, as there were no formal benefits for biased voting. Furthermore, this bias is observed only for jurors from Eastern countries, not for those from the West (NATO), and most interestingly, it disappears after the collapse of the Warsaw pact in 1989.
|Date of creation:||2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||Forthcoming in|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.uni-marburg.de/fb02/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- GINSBURGH, Victor & NOURY, Abdul G., .
"The Eurovision song contest. Is voting political or cultural?,"
CORE Discussion Papers RP
2024, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Ginsburgh, Victor & Noury, Abdul G., 2008. "The Eurovision Song Contest. Is voting political or cultural?," European Journal of Political Economy, Elsevier, vol. 24(1), pages 41-52, March.
- Abdul Ghafar Noury & Victor Ginsburgh, 2008. "The Eurovision song contest: is voting political or cultural?," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/7746, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Gerdes, Christer & Gränsmark, Patrik, 2010.
"Strategic behavior across gender: A comparison of female and male expert chess players,"
Elsevier, vol. 17(5), pages 766-775, October.
- Gerdes, Christer & Gränsmark, Patrik, 2010. "Strategic Behavior across Gender: A Comparison of Female and Male Expert Chess Players," IZA Discussion Papers 4793, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Fenn, Daniel & Suleman, Omer & Efstathiou, Janet & Johnson, Neil F., 2006. "How does Europe Make Its Mind Up? Connections, cliques, and compatibility between countries in the Eurovision Song Contest," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 360(2), pages 576-598.
- Gränsmark, Patrik, 2012. "Masters of our time: Impatience and self-control in high-level chess games," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 82(1), pages 179-191.
- Dreber, Anna & Gerdes, Christer & Gränsmark, Patrik, 2013.
"Beauty queens and battling knights: Risk taking and attractiveness in chess,"
Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization,
Elsevier, vol. 90(C), pages 1-18.
- Dreber Almenberg, Anna & Gerdes, Christer & Gränsmark, Patrik, 2010. "Beauty Queens and Battling Knights: Risk Taking and Attractiveness in Chess," IZA Discussion Papers 5314, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- J. Scott Long & Jeremy Freese, 2006. "Regression Models for Categorical Dependent Variables using Stata, 2nd Edition," Stata Press books, StataCorp LP, edition 2, number long2, November.
- Eric Zitzewitz, 2006.
"Nationalism in Winter Sports Judging and Its Lessons for Organizational Decision Making,"
Journal of Economics & Management Strategy,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 15(1), pages 67-99, 03.
- Zitzewitz, Eric, 2002. "Nationalism in Winter Sports Judging and Its Lessons for Organizational Decision Making," Research Papers 1796, Stanford University, Graduate School of Business.
- Moul, Charles C. & Nye, John V.C., 2009. "Did the Soviets collude? A statistical analysis of championship chess 1940-1978," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 70(1-2), pages 10-21, May.
- Derek Gatherer, 2006. "Comparison of Eurovision Song Contest Simulation with Actual Results Reveals Shifting Patterns of Collusive Voting Alliances," Journal of Artificial Societies and Social Simulation, Journal of Artificial Societies and Social Simulation, vol. 9(2), pages 1.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:mar:magkse:201237. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Bernd Hayo)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.