Sovereign Debt Contracts and Financial Stability in Emerging Market Economies
This thesis analyzes the influence sovereign debt contracts have on the incidence and the devolution of financial crises in emerging market economies. Chapter 2 focuses on the design of majority action clauses in bond contracts. It examines under what circumstances impeding creditor coordination might be a useful way to address debtor moral hazard concerns. In chapter 3 the pricing of sovereign bonds with various characteristics is studied. Special attention is drawn to the question of how the pricing of coordination clauses is affected by the composition of the debt. It is shown that coordination clauses are priced more favorably by the market the larger the share of coordinated debt by the respective issuer is. Chapter 4 investigates the scope for country insurance against macroeconomics shocks. Collateralizing sovereign bond contracts with financial derivatives is shown to be equivalent to indexing claims.
|Date of creation:||24 Jan 2007|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstr. 28, 80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: http://www.vwl.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Reinhart, Carmen & Kaminsky, Graciela & Vegh, Carlos, 2004.
"When it rains, it pours: Procyclical capital flows and macroeconomic policies,"
13883, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Graciela L. Kaminsky & Carmen M. Reinhart & Carlos A. Végh, 2005. "When It Rains, It Pours: Procyclical Capital Flows and Macroeconomic Policies," NBER Chapters, in: NBER Macroeconomics Annual 2004, Volume 19, pages 11-82 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Graciela L. Kaminsky & Carmen M. Reinhart & Carlos A. Vegh, 2004. "When it Rains, it Pours: Procyclical Capital Flows and Macroeconomic Policies," NBER Working Papers 10780, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Kletzer, K.M. & Newbery, D.M., 1991.
"Smoothing Primary Exporters' Price Risks: Bonds, Futures, Options and Insurance,"
647, Yale - Economic Growth Center.
- Kletzer, Ken & Newbery, David M & Wright, Brian D, 1992. "Smoothing Primary Exporters' Price Risks: Bonds, Futures, Options and Insurance," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 44(4), pages 641-71, October.
- Reinhart, Carmen & Kaminsky, Graciela, 2000.
"Las crisis gemelas: las causas de los problemas bancarios y de balanza de pagos
[The twin crises: Te causes of banking and balance of payments problems]," MPRA Paper 13842, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Carmen M. Reinhart & Graciela L. Kaminsky, 1999. "The Twin Crises: The Causes of Banking and Balance-of-Payments Problems," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 89(3), pages 473-500, June.
- Graciela L. Kaminsky & Carmen M. Reinhart, 1996. "The twin crises: the causes of banking and balance-of-payments problems," International Finance Discussion Papers 544, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Reinhart, Carmen & Kaminsky, Graciela, 1999. "The twin crises: The causes of banking and balance of payments problems," MPRA Paper 14081, University Library of Munich, Germany.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:lmu:dissen:7302. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Tamilla Benkelberg)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.