Estimates of labour demand elasticities and elasticities of substitution using firm-level manufacturing data
Using firm-level manufacturing data supplemented with wages from household survey data, this paper estimates translog cost functions to calculate labour demand elasticities and Allen Elasticities of Substitution between capital and four occupation types. It finds that own-price labour demand elasticities range from -0.56 to -0.8 , that capital and all occupation types are substitutes and that most occupation types are themselves complements.
|Date of creation:||2004|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Private BagX3, Rondebosch, 7701, Cape Town|
Phone: +27 21 650 5696
Fax: +27 21 650 5697
Web page: http://www.saldru.uct.ac.za/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Charlotte Toit & Reneéa Koekemoer, 2003. "A Labour Model For South Africa," South African Journal of Economics, Economic Society of South Africa, vol. 71(1), pages 49-76, 03.
- Haroon Bhorat & Paul Lundall, 2004. "Employment, Wages And Skills Development: Firm-Specific Effects - Evidence From A Firm Survey In South Africa," South African Journal of Economics, Economic Society of South Africa, vol. 72(5), pages 1023-1056, December.
- Oi, Walter Y. & Idson, Todd L., 1999. "Firm size and wages," Handbook of Labor Economics, in: O. Ashenfelter & D. Card (ed.), Handbook of Labor Economics, edition 1, volume 3, chapter 33, pages 2165-2214 Elsevier.
- Mark Doms & Timothy Dunne & Kenneth R. Troske, 1997. "Workers, Wages, and Technology," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 112(1), pages 253-290.
- Christensen, Laurits R & Jorgenson, Dale W & Lau, Lawrence J, 1973. "Transcendental Logarithmic Production Frontiers," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 55(1), pages 28-45, February.
- Chung, Jae Wan, 1987. "On the Estimation of Factor Substitution in the Translog Model," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 69(3), pages 409-17, August.
- Francis Teal, 1997.
"Real wages and the demand for skilled and unskilled male labour in Ghana's manufacturing sector: 1991-1995,"
CSAE Working Paper Series
1997-10, Centre for the Study of African Economies, University of Oxford.
- Teal, Francis, 2000. "Real wages and the demand for skilled and unskilled male labour in Ghana's manufacturing sector: 1991-1995," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 61(2), pages 447-461, April.
- Binswanger, Hans P., 1973.
"The Measurement Of Technical Change Biases With Many Factors Of Production,"
14205, University of Minnesota, Department of Applied Economics.
- Binswanger, Hans P, 1974. "The Measurement of Technical Change Biases with Many Factors of Production," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 64(6), pages 964-76, December.
- Lawrence Edwards, 2004. "A firm level analysis of trade, technology and employment in South Africa," Journal of International Development, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 16(1), pages 45-61.
- Nicoli Nattrass, 2004. "Unemployment and aids: the social-democratic challenge for South Africa," Development Southern Africa, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 21(1), pages 87-108.
- Haroon Bhorat & Paul Lundall, 2002. "Employment, Wages and Skills Development: Firm Specific Effects - Evidence from Two Firm Surveys in South Africa," Working Papers 02068, University of Cape Town, Development Policy Research Unit.
- Anderson, Richard G & Thursby, Jerry G, 1986. "Confidence Intervals for Elasticity Estimators in Translog Models," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 68(4), pages 647-56, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ldr:cssrwp:098. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Alison Siljeur)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.