Early Years Education And Subsequent Schooling In Rural India: An Economic Analysis
This study uses LSMS microdata to evaluate the impact of early years education on subsequent educational participation in the states of Uttar Pradesh and Bihar in Northern India. It is established that, alongside a number of economic and demographic variables, pre-school education has a significantly positive impact on subsequent experience. The result is robust to correction for endogeneity bias and clustering of observations.
|Date of creation:||2008|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +44 (1524) 594601
Fax: +44 (1524) 594244
Web page: http://www.lancaster.ac.uk/lums
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Rubiana Chamarbagwala, 2008. "Regional Returns to Education, Child Labour and Schooling in India," Journal of Development Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 44(2), pages 233-257.
- Currie, J. & Thomas, D., 1995.
"Does Head Start make a Difference?,"
95-10, RAND - Reprint Series.
- Flavio Cunha & James J. Heckman, 2008. "Formulating, Identifying and Estimating the Technology of Cognitive and Noncognitive Skill Formation," Journal of Human Resources, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 43(4).
- Heckman, James J., 2008.
"Schools, Skills, and Synapses,"
IZA Discussion Papers
3515, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Geeta Gandhi Kingdon, 2007.
"The progress of school education in India,"
Oxford Review of Economic Policy,
Oxford University Press, vol. 23(2), pages 168-195, Summer.
- J.V. Meenakshi & Ranjan Ray, 2000.
"Impact of Household Size and Family Composition on Poverty in Rural India,"
ASARC Working Papers
2000-02, The Australian National University, Australia South Asia Research Centre.
- Meenakshi, J. V. & Ray, Ranjan, 2002. "Impact of household size and family composition on poverty in rural India," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 24(6), pages 539-559, October.
- Duraisamy, P., 2002.
"Changes in returns to education in India, 1983-94: by gender, age-cohort and location,"
Economics of Education Review,
Elsevier, vol. 21(6), pages 609-622, December.
- Duraisamy, P., 2000. "Changes in Returns to Education in India, 1983-94: By Gender, Age-Cohort and Location," Papers 815, Yale - Economic Growth Center.
- James Heckman & Flavio Cunha, 2007.
"The Technology of Skill Formation,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 97(2), pages 31-47, May.
- Flavio Cunha & James Heckman, 2007. "The Technology of Skill Formation," NBER Working Papers 12840, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- James Heckman & Pedro Carneiro & Flavio Cunha, 2004. "The Technology of Skill Formation," 2004 Meeting Papers 681, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Cunha, Flavio & Heckman, James J., 2007. "The Technology of Skill Formation," IZA Discussion Papers 2550, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Heckman, James J. & Masterov, Dimitriy V., 2007.
"The Productivity Argument for Investing in Young Children,"
IZA Discussion Papers
2725, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- James J. Heckman & Dimitriy V. Masterov, 2007. "The Productivity Argument for Investing in Young Children ," Review of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 29(3), pages 446-493.
- James J. Heckman & Dimitriy V. Masterov, 2007. "The Productivity Argument for Investing in Young Children," NBER Working Papers 13016, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Yona Rubinstein & James J. Heckman, 2001. "The Importance of Noncognitive Skills: Lessons from the GED Testing Program," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 91(2), pages 145-149, May.
- Rubiana Chamarbagwala, 2004. "Returns to Education, Child Labor, & Schooling in India," Development and Comp Systems 0410003, EconWPA.
- Moulton, Brent R., 1986. "Random group effects and the precision of regression estimates," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 32(3), pages 385-397, August.
- LaLonde, Robert J, 1986. "Evaluating the Econometric Evaluations of Training Programs with Experimental Data," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 76(4), pages 604-20, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:lan:wpaper:596936. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Maurizio Zanardi)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.